Question No display after new build - Ryzen 5 5600 + Gigabyte Aorus Elite V2

Dec 31, 2022
This holiday I decided to upgrade my outdated AM3+ system to AM4. After researching I bought the parts that needed changing for the upgrade. New motherboard, RAM and CPU while keeping the original GPU, PSU and SSDs which have served me well so far.

This is the setup:
AMD Ryzen 5 5600 CPU with provided cooler
Gigabyte Aorus B550 Elite V2 (rev 1.1)
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x16GB 3600Mhz RAM
Corsair 1000w PSU
XFX RX 5600 XT THICC II Pro 6GB GPU

On boot the fans spin and the GPU light is on but there's no display output. No motherboard beeps either.

Things I have tried:
double checking cable connections
clearing the CMOS
trying a single ram stick in all different slots
moving the GPU to a PCIE3 slot
trying different display ports on the GPU

What am I missing?

I noticed that the motherboard supports DDR4 at 3600Mhz but only OC. Could this be the issue? Should the RAM be at a slower speed or would it still work but run slower than the spec'ed RAM speed?

I have build half a dozen PCs in my lifetime and never came across such an issue. It feels like in all the years of evolution of pc hardware, zero effort has been put into improving UX troubleshooting.

Anyway, rant over and never again will I burn my holidays with a new build. : /

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Think you need to update the bios. Had already responded to another thread with the same motherboard (although revision might differ so keep that in mind), anyway instructions are the same,

Please read the whole post.

The motherboard has a form of "USB Bios Flashback" (Qflash Plus), use this to flash the latest bios on the motherboard and see if it will post again. The next vid is a general quide, make sure you use the bios for your motherboard,

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_Bv0HWJGIY

He says to rename the bios file, if that doesn't work just get the original one at an empty (Fat32) usb stick since there is no mentioning of it in the manual. So only after you put the bios file on the usb stick rename it if you want to try it that way, like that you keep the original name on the original file.

Back i/o that you need to use and instructions from the manual,

GCqwRV0.png

0Pgav07.png

There are btw two revisions of that motherboard so make sure you know which version you have, this is important cause minor differences that may be there between biosses. You can find which revision on the left bottom corner of the motherboard.

QmtqKxK.png

You and your brother might have each a different revision so why i want to point this out clearly.

Another usefull link,

Dec 31, 2022
Thanks for the suggestion. I just did the BIOS update using Q-Flash. It took about 2 minutes and then the board turned itself on when the light stopped flashing. I rebooted it a few times after that by turning it off at the power supply (it's the only way to turn it off)

Sadly still no display.

I'm lost as to what else to try because I don't have spare compatible parts to swap over to narrow down the issue.

Dec 31, 2022
It just occured to me that I may have used slightly wider screws to fix the motherboard to the case! The screws in my old case have a slightly smaller head.

Could the screws be the cause of no display? I have tried to unscrew them and instead the bit behind the motherboard turns! They'll be fun to remove if I can't turn them!! Argh... what a nightmare!

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
All stand offs move with the screws?

Just a silly question, but you use the gpu ports hdmi/displayport to get an image? Since you've build before i guess you didn't use the motherboard output, but have to ask.

Can you notice the pc booting if you take the gpu out and only use one stick of ram in the A2 (second from the cpu out) slot.

Dec 31, 2022
I have the plain Ryzen 5 5600 without the embedded gpu so I know the motherboard display ports don't work. I've been connecting to the graphics card's output.

Since my last message I have disconnected everything, removed the motherboard and put it back in with the correct sized screws. Still no display.

Also just tried your suggestion. Booting without the GPU and a single stick of ram, the fans spin and case lights up but how do I know if it's booted up without display? I don't think it has because the board doesn't respond to shut down our reset buttons from the case.

Dec 31, 2022

TRENDING THREADS