[SOLVED] No display after re-installing GPU

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 1, 2021
I took my GPU out of my PC at some point last month, completely forgetting that I had an issue like this some months before. I tried to reinstall it but I got no display, not even during boot. There is no "No Signal" when this happens, the screen is just black. I set it aside for most of the month because the only HDMI adapter I had was broken and I wasn't sure if it was the fault of that adapter or something different. I finally got a new one today so I tried testing it out but I'm in the same boat as before.

Before this I was using my computer with onboard graphics. To use onboard I have to take my GPU out of the case, otherwise it will not work ( black screen. no "No Signal" shown ).

I suspect something is disabling something else ( if my GPU isn't dead by now ) but I don't know what to do about it. There is no BIOS option to set what graphics to use. My BIOS looks old[redacted], to be frank, and there's barely anything in there. I believe it's version A09.

As I said, I've already had this issue but I have horrific memory and I forgot to note down what I did to fix it.

Tower: Dell Optiplex 390
GPU: Low Profile GT 1030

Also - The monitor I'm using says it's going to sleep when I plug the VGA into the adapter even before I can get around to plugging the HDMI end into my GPU. Is this normal ? I didn't think it'd be able to detect anything without being plugged into something that's powered first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Which form factor of the OptiPlex do you own? Also, how old is the PSU in the unit? Did you replace it at some point of time prior to today's issue being posted? If you're indeed on version A09, then you have 3 more BIOS updates to work your way through to the latest. You might want to also use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers while powered off the iGPU but please keep in mind that you're advised to work with a 350W reliably built PSU when you have a GT1030 populating any system(power is for the entire build, not just the GPU).

Lutfij

Titan

Which form factor of the OptiPlex do you own? Also, how old is the PSU in the unit? Did you replace it at some point of time prior to today's issue being posted? If you're indeed on version A09, then you have 3 more BIOS updates to work your way through to the latest. You might want to also use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers while powered off the iGPU but please keep in mind that you're advised to work with a 350W reliably built PSU when you have a GT1030 populating any system(power is for the entire build, not just the GPU).

Solution
May 1, 2021

My problem is already solved, but thank you for replying ! I'm not entirely sure how to do the BIOS updates but I'll look into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.