Question No display from gpu or MB

May 2, 2019
Okay so I've had my pc for about 2 years,
-i7 7600k
-gtx 1050 ti 4gb
-evga 750w psu
-1 tb hdd
-8gb ddr4 ram

I bought a used gtx 1060 6gb for a different computer, I decided to test it on mine first, so I uninstalled my gpu drivers and then put in the new gpu only to get no display from neither MB nor gpu. When I put the 1050ti back in same thing. I've tried hdmi and dvi. I'm not an expert with computers, I just know enough to build basic setups...

Do you have the latest BIOS installed of your mobotherboard/system ? Try clearing/resetting the CMOS settings, if possible from your side. Does any of your card require a 6/8-PIN PCI-e connector ? Which PSU do you actually have ?

If these tips don't work, then kindly restore the default settings of your BIOS. Are you using the LEGACY or UEFI mode to boot up your system ?

Last edited:
The easiest way to clear the CMOS is to enter the BIOS setup utility and choose Reset BIOS Settings to their factory default levels.

The exact menu option in your particular motherboard's BIOS may differ but look for phrases like reset to default, factory default, clear BIOS, load setup defaults, etc. Every manufacturer seems to have their own way of wording it. The BIOS Settings option is usually located near the bottom of the screen, or at the end of your BIOS options, depending on how it's structured. If you're having trouble finding it, look close to where the Save or Save & Exit options are because they're usually around those.

Another way to clear CMOS is to reseat the CMOS battery. Start by making sure your computer is unplugged. Next, open up your computer's case if you're using a desktop PC, or find and open the small CMOS battery panel if you're using a tablet or laptop computer.

Finally, remove the CMOS battery for a few minutes and then put it back in. Close the case or battery panel and then plug in, or reattach the computer's main battery. By disconnecting and then reconnecting the CMOS battery, you remove the source of power that saves your computer's BIOS settings, resetting them to default.

Another way to clear the CMOS is to short the CLEAR CMOS jumper on your motherboard, assuming your motherboard has one. Make sure your computer is unplugged and then open it up. Look around your motherboard's surface for a jumper with the CLEAR CMOS label, which will be located on the motherboard and near the jumper. These jumpers are often located near the BIOS chip itself or next to the CMOS battery. Some other names by which you might see this jumper labeled include CLRPWD, PASSWORD, or even just CLEAR.

Do all these things carefully, if you are not comfortable, and ask someone else for help, if need be.

Last edited:
May 2, 2019
So I think I made a mistake clearing the cmos.. power was off on the psu however it was still plugged in, now I get nothing when I hit the power button

May 2, 2019
At this point im ready to take it to a pc shop and pay the ridiculous ticket for them to deal with it. I have this feeling in the back of my head that I somehow damaged the MB.

May 2, 2019
After mix and matching a few of my parts I got it to work with a different MB. I also realized a cpu(i5 7600k) I got with that spare MB for $80 was a little bent. Counting my losses on that cpu, but I am glad I had that MB to use. I'm also guessing I did something to the MB I was using.