Question No display from graphics card but I can remote desktop to it and play games ?

JohnMay2014

Distinguished
May 4, 2014
Hi ,

My graphics card output is not producing a display on the monitor. I had the graphics card checked in another system and surprisingly it works in that system without any issues. Assuming it to be a monitor issue, when I connect the monitor directly to the motherboard VGA socket, it is able to display content. I reattached my card back to my system and there is still no display, but when I remote desktop into my system, I can see the graphics card is recognized in my sysytem, can play games,etc. What could be the reason that the graphics card does not produce a display to my monitor from my motherboard but works in another system? If it is a motherboard issue, then how is it that I can remote desktop into it and play games?

JohnMay2014

Distinguished
May 4, 2014
Are you sure the adapter is an "active" one that converts digital HDMI (card ouput) to analog VGA (monitor input) ?

If it's a passive adapter (ie no conversion) the monitor won't work.

Link to the adapter you purchased would be useful.
This was the original adapter which I was using and which was working earlier before the issue developed: https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00S0C76GQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Now I just bought one from local store and did not bother to check about it being an "Active" one :(

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
"What could be the reason that the graphics card does not produce a display to my monitor from my motherboard but works in another system?"
Is the monitor connected to motherboard or the GPU? This is a separate GPU right? Not some onboard iGPU or APU?

JohnMay2014

Distinguished
May 4, 2014
Are you sure the adapter is an "active" one that converts digital HDMI (card ouput) to analog VGA (monitor input) ?

If it's a passive adapter (ie no conversion) the monitor won't work.

Link to the adapter you purchased would be useful.
My PC also has a direct hdmi output. So right now, I connected the hdmi to vga adapter to that PC hdmi socket and connected the vga end to the monitor and it works. So no problem in that.

JohnMay2014

Distinguished
May 4, 2014
"What could be the reason that the graphics card does not produce a display to my monitor from my motherboard but works in another system?"
Is the monitor connected to motherboard or the GPU? This is a separate GPU right? Not some onboard iGPU or APU?
Yes , it is separate GPU, GT1030 on my old PC. Monitor is now connected to the motherboard vga socket as it was not producing a display on the GPU hdmi socket.

JohnMay2014

Distinguished
May 4, 2014
My PSU is 450W. Could it be that the efficiency of the PSU reduced and cannot power the display to the monitor? Or could it be a problem of the graphic cards socket, but that doesnt explain how I can remote into it and play games

JohnMay2014

Distinguished
May 4, 2014
What's the system specs the gt1030 is having trouble in?

Do you have a TV with Hdmi you could try?
Motherboard: DH67CL (10 years old)
Processor: i5-2400 CPU @3.10Ghz(10 years old)
Ram: 16GB
HDD: 250GB SSD,2TB SATA HDD
1 DVD writer
Windows 10 Pro
450W PSU (10 years old)
Graphics: GT 1030 2GB DDR5 (2 years old of which 1 year could not use due to this issue and was able to use it without any issues for previous 1 year)

Yes I do have a TV with hdmi. What should I try?

JohnMay2014

Distinguished
May 4, 2014
All right, I have no explanation to this but it has started to work after lying idle for a year. Almost a year ago, I had tried multiple things and had also removed and inserted the card multiple times but still there was no display. After that I had removed the card and kept it aside. Now after a year, I inserted the card back and .................................................................there was no display ! Yes there was NO display :tearsofjoy: but I could remote desktop into it. I thought of trying out red dead redemption 2, so I installed it through remote desktop. The moment I tried to play it, I couldn't believe my eyes, the display started to work 😷. I had difficulty moving around as my jaw was dropping all the way to the ground and I had to sit for sometime to try and make sense of what was happening but I couldn't. Shocked, I played RDR2 directly on the PC without any issues, I even restarted it and the display still worked. I switched it off and switched it on again, and it works. Damn, I thought of upgrading to Ryzen 9 and GTX 3060, now I have to wait :ptdr:

TRENDING THREADS