Question No Display, Mouse and Keyboard not working.

Jul 6, 2023
Recently I experienced a circuit breaker popped and when I booted back up my PC it showed no display, the RGB on my GPU and AIO work with all the fans but my keyboard and mouse weren’t working at all, since then I tried removing all connected connections to the tower then switching it off and holding the power button for 30 to 60 seconds then, booting it back up but still no display or mouse and keyboard. Then I tried removing the CMOS battery and the GPU to get to it. I reinstalled it and still no display. Finally I reseated the RAM but no display and after reseating the RAM it now boots up the pc when I turn it on and then turns off by itself and reboots back up on its own and the power button on top of the case no longer works only the power switch.

CPU: AMD RYZEN 5800x
GPU: Rtx 3080 Gigabyte

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2023
Experience.

E.g how do you know that giraffe exist if you haven't see one in person?

In any event,
Full system specs, including PSU make and model (or part number) is? Also, how old the PSU is, and was the PSU bought new or used/refurbished?
This entire build is new and less then a year old

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Not aware of them bought it prebuilt through NZXT
Doesn't your invoice list the system specs?

I would normally look up that info through my software

If no software can be used, you can do it manually.

You do have a smart phone, right?

Take it out, take the side panels off the PC case and make pics of MoBo and PSU's label. Afterwards upload images to e.g www.imgur.com and share them here.

PSU's label is critical. MoBo is *eh* and not needed for troubleshooting per se. Also, i'm not in the mood looking up what MoBo you have, based on how it looks.

Jul 6, 2023
Could it be a RAM dead should I try it with one ram stick or resseating it ? I just wonder how something died when this has a surge protector to prevent this issue yk?

Jul 6, 2023
Doesn't your invoice list the system specs?

If no software can be used, you can do it manually.

You do have a smart phone, right?

Take it out, take the side panels off the PC case and make pics of MoBo and PSU's label. Afterwards upload images to e.g www.imgur.com and share them here.

PSU's label is critical. MoBo is *eh* and not needed for troubleshooting per se. Also, i'm not in the mood looking up what MoBo you have, based on how it looks.
My Mobo is a Gigabyte B550 UD AC

Jul 6, 2023
You attempted troubleshooting steps like reconnecting cables, resetting CMOS, and reseating RAM, but the issue persists. The problem could be related to hardware damage caused by the electrical surge.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
But I have a surge protector, I thought that would’ve protected it

Yeah, No.

Further reading about why not to use surge protectors,
link: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/everything-work-but-it-doesnt-work.3773133/#post-22771910

My Mobo is a Gigabyte B550 UD AC

And the PSU is?

Recently I experienced a circuit breaker popped
Circuit breaker goes off either when there's short circuit or overload. Most of the times it's due to overload.

Now, whatever did this, was also enough to go through your extension cord (which you call surge protector, despite it not protecting against nothing), onwards killing your PSU and also killing other hardware within the PC as well.
You can consider everything that was connected to PSU - to be dead. This means your whole PC.

As of why i said "CPU, MoBo, RAM, GPU" and not SSD/HDD, case fans, etc. Is because for PC to work, you only need these 5 components: CPU, MoBo, RAM, GPU and PSU. Monitor is there for you to see something, SSD/HDD are for OS (without SSD/HDD PC will boot into BIOS) and KB/mice are for command input.

Now, if you'd have G-suffix Ryzen chip or any Intel chip that doesn't have F-suffix, you could rule out your GPU, by removing it from the PC and plugging your monitor to your MoBo. But since you do not have G-suffix Ryzen chip (which would have iGPU in it), you have to use dedicated GPU to see an image.

So, like i said in my 1st post; one of them, or all of them are dead: CPU, MoBo, RAM, GPU. While your PSU is confirmed to be toast.

To know which of the 4 is dead, you need 2nd, compatible system where to test out each and every component individually, to see what works and what doesn't.
Now, if you don't have 2nd compatible system where to test all that, you have few options remaining;
1. Haul your PC to PC repair shop and pay them for diagnostics + possible fix, including new PSU.
2. Buy a completely new PC.

Just random guessing what component of the 4 died, and then buying the replacement part, is both far costly and more time consuming than either of the two above options. E.g lets say you think your MoBo is toast. You buy new MoBo, transfer the rest over and PC still doesn't work. Perhaps issue is with CPU. Then you buy new CPU and PC still doesn't work. Perhaps the issue is with GPU. Etc. You get the point.

And all that explanation above is what i call "experience". Happy?

Jul 6, 2023
Yeah, No.

Further reading about why not to use surge protectors,
link: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/everything-work-but-it-doesnt-work.3773133/#post-22771910

And the PSU is?

Circuit breaker goes off either when there's short circuit or overload. Most of the times it's due to overload.

Now, whatever did this, was also enough to go through your extension cord (which you call surge protector, despite it not protecting against nothing), onwards killing your PSU and also killing other hardware within the PC as well.
You can consider everything that was connected to PSU - to be dead. This means your whole PC.

As of why i said "CPU, MoBo, RAM, GPU" and not SSD/HDD, case fans, etc. Is because for PC to work, you only need these 5 components: CPU, MoBo, RAM, GPU and PSU. Monitor is there for you to see something, SSD/HDD are for OS (without SSD/HDD PC will boot into BIOS) and KB/mice are for command input.

Now, if you'd have G-suffix Ryzen chip or any Intel chip that doesn't have F-suffix, you could rule out your GPU, by removing it from the PC and plugging your monitor to your MoBo. But since you do not have G-suffix Ryzen chip (which would have iGPU in it), you have to use dedicated GPU to see an image.

So, like i said in my 1st post; one of them, or all of them are dead: CPU, MoBo, RAM, GPU. While your PSU is confirmed to be toast.

To know which of the 4 is dead, you need 2nd, compatible system where to test out each and every component individually, to see what works and what doesn't.
Now, if you don't have 2nd compatible system where to test all that, you have few options remaining;
1. Haul your PC to PC repair shop and pay them for diagnostics + possible fix, including new PSU.
2. Buy a completely new PC.

Just random guessing what component of the 4 died, and then buying the replacement part, is both far costly and more time consuming than either of the two above options. E.g lets say you think your MoBo is toast. You buy new MoBo, transfer the rest over and PC still doesn't work. Perhaps issue is with CPU. Then you buy new CPU and PC still doesn't work. Perhaps the issue is with GPU. Etc. You get the point.

And all that explanation above is what i call "experience". Happy?
Yes thank you and later today I am bringing it in for testing and diagnostics, I just wanted to know more so I can fully understand the situation end to end.

Reactions: Aeacus