Question No Display on a custom built computer ?

Jun 3, 2023
I am hoping to get some practical ideas on what I can try. This is my first PC built and I am, more or less, a complete noob on this. It would not be at all surprising if I was doing something completely dumb, like not connecting an important cable or something. Basically, after I turn on the power, all the lights and fans come on and then turn off after about 30 seconds. The light on the motherboard does remain on even after those 30 or so seconds. I did make sure the HDMI is plugged in the GPU and not the motherboard. I did check to see that my monitor is working properly with a different computer. I did try this with only 1 stick of RAM instead of 2. I also tried removing the motherboard battery for 10 minutes and then putting it back in.

I do have left over cables from my motherboard and I am concerned that maybe I don't have all of them plugged in. For example, I don't have anything plugged in the "AMD Serial ATA 6 Gb/s connectors (7-pin SATA6G_1-8)", #12 on the motherboard's manual. Same for the "Addressable RGB header (4-1 pin ADD_GEN2_1/2", #8 on the motherboard's manual; same for the "AURA RGB headers (4-pin RGB_HEADER1/2".

I also don't have all of the cables from the PSU plugged in (but obviously not all of them are required). I got the ATX connected, 1 PCIe (to GPU), 1 EPS/ATX12 8 pin (to MB), 1 6-pin cable (connects to the SATA cable).

A small part of the thermal paste came off the CPU cooler because I touched it, but I don't think that would cause a problem with display. I also thought that maybe this was due to my custom PC being plugged into an outlet multiplier, so I tried plugging directly into the outlet that is connected to the wall and that did not help either.

Edit. On the motherboard, the VGA light remains on for those first ~30 seconds after I press power.

ASUS ROG Strix X570-E Gaming WIFI II AM4 (bought used)

AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT 16GB GDDR6 (bought used)

Ryzen 7 5800X3d

iCUE H100i RGB ELITE (240mm)

970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD

Corsair Vengeance RGB RT DDR4 2x16 GB

RM850x Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Did you verify that the board has the necessary BIOS version for you to drop that 5000 series AMD Ryzen processor onto the socket?

Using your motherboard manual, page 3-4, section 3.4; ASUS CrashFree BIOS 3. See if that helps revive your board.

Reactions: BrainHurty
D

Deleted member 2947362

Have you connected the CPU power from PSU to motherboards ATX 12v ? (normally top left of motherboard) example : my motherboard has an 8 pin connector from PSU to the motherboard

Jun 3, 2023
Have you connected the CPU power from PSU to motherboards ATX 12v ? (normally top left of motherboard) example : my motherboard has an 8 pin connector from PSU to the motherboard
Yes, I have it plugged into the 24-pin one on the right side of MB and also the 8-pin ("EATX12V_1") on the top left of the MB. I don't have anything plugged into the 4 pin one that is labeled "EATX12V_2" and that is to the left of that 8-pin one.

Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Did you verify that the board has the necessary BIOS version for you to drop that 5000 series AMD Ryzen processor onto the socket?

Using your motherboard manual, page 3-4, section 3.4; ASUS CrashFree BIOS 3. See if that helps revive your board.

I will try this next. From the YT video I just saw, it involves using a flash drive.

D

Deleted member 2947362

check through the manual and double check everything

D

Deleted member 2947362

check in the manual to see if there is a certain USB port used for flash back some boards require you to use the correct USB port to plug the USB drive in for flash back to work

Or in your case ASUS Crash Free BIOS

Jun 3, 2023
Flashing BIOS is pretty tricky and I'm trying to be careful about it because I don't want to mess up the motherboard. For example, the manufacture website says: "Before running the USB BIOS Flashback tool, please rename the BIOS file (R570EGW2.CAP) using BIOSRenamer." But the Manual has something different.

It does say "When downloading or updating the BIOS file, rename it as SX570EG.CAP for this motherboard." I didn't do that. I'll try again.
Edit. I guess the issue I am having is that after I hit the button on the PSU to give power to the system, then insert the flash drive into the BIOS USB and press + hold the button above that, the light there starts flashing green. And on the fourth flash it goes solid green (an indicator that it's not doing BIOS flash). The YT videos seem to show that what it supposed to do is continue to flash green until it is complete. I tried 2 different flash drives and tried taking the battery out of the motherboard again (to reset CMOS before trying BIOS flash). My understanding was that I don't need to hit the power button for this, but I tried it that way as well. I am also under the impression that I can leave the MB inside the case with everything still connected to it when I try this BIOS flash. The YT videos do show the MB to be outside of the case when the BIOS flashing is done. I read some forums about what worked and what didn't for some (e.g., to extract directly to the USB, etc), but it hasn't worked for me yet. I think I'll try getting some different flash drives tomorrow and try it with those. Also, I'll may take the MB out of the case and try it that way (although I'm not sure if it's necessary).

Edit 2. I have Ryzen 7 3700X from another computer. Not sure if it would be worth trying to start up the computer with that CPU (and I assume I wouldn't need to do BIOS flash if I got it started with that CPU, that I could just download the BIOS update straight to the computer).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2947362

Edit 2. I have Ryzen 7 3700X from another computer. Not sure if it would be worth trying to start up the computer with that CPU (and I assume I wouldn't need to do BIOS flash if I got it started with that CPU, that I could just download the BIOS update straight to the computer).
I would try re-flashing with the R7 3700X, I had to flash my motherboard BIOS with an r5 1600 CPU to the latest BIOS (in increments/ one after each other) before I could get the r5 5600 to work.

D

Deleted member 2947362

It could also be that you need to plug power to the second EATX12V_2

"I don't have anything plugged into the 4 pin one that is labeled "EATX12V_2"

D

Deleted member 2947362

I would of thought the CPU would need the extra power being the more powerful range of desktop CPU (R7 5800x3D)

D

Deleted member 2947362

With all due respect, I doubt he needs to do this. Typically, the 4-pin CPU power is only necessary if you're doing extreme overclocking of the CPU.
I was just looking through the forum and come across some else who's computer wouldn't boot until they connected the second power connector so might be the same for this issue no harm in trying just to see if it helps.

Edit:
But the system was an Intel based system not AMD so rickypicy5 is more than likely correct.
I would still try just because it would be bugging me lol

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 2947362

I was just thinking maybe the PSU can't take the initial load with R7 5800X3D the 6800xt?
But I would of thought it should be able to handle it?

D

Deleted member 2947362

I tried putting in my Radeon RX 550 from my other computer since that was faster than changing the CPU and I got something on the screen to show up.

It seems (I'm guessing) that likely my Radeon RX 6800 XT is the issue. I don't intend to use the Radeon RX 550 in this build.
If only you had this thought to start with LOL

ahh it makes me laff it's funny how we go about things (y)

D

Deleted member 2947362

Send the Graphics card back get a refund don't try and repair it lol unless your a skilled Hardware technician and you fully understand the circuitry of the PCB and GPU.