[SOLVED] No display on monitor after removing and reinserting RAM

Dec 26, 2019
Hi,

I built a PC recently and it was working fine for a bit, then started blue screening a lot with a memory management issue. My dad removed the RAM sticks and then put them back in (I'm not sure why, I wasn't around). Since he did that, there is no display at all (the PC turns on as normal). I ordered replacement RAM and hoped that would solve the issue but it didn't. We've tried the PC with a different gpu in it, different RAM, one RAM stick at a time, tried the display cable on another machine, and tried removing the cmos battery for a while to reset the motherboard. Is it likely that my dad damaged the motherboard when he removed the RAM? Or could it be something else?

Specs are:
mobo - Asus Prime B450m-k
cpu - Ryzen 7 2600
ram - Corsair vengeance 16gb ddr4, replaced with hyperX with the same capacity
gpu - tried with gtx1050 and an old 750

To sum up, PC worked completely fine for a short while, before the blue screens would come up every time we tried to open up a game in steam (it wouldn't happen when the PC was left idle), and only since the ram was removed and returned to the PC did the display completely stop working

Solution
Reseat and re-paste the CPU. Install only a single stick of RAM in A2 slot. Clear the CMOS. Make sure monitor cable is connected to GPU. Try powering back on.

Sean Green

Prominent
Feb 20, 2020
Hi,

I built a PC recently and it was working fine for a bit, then started blue screening a lot with a memory management issue. My dad removed the RAM sticks and then put them back in (I'm not sure why, I wasn't around). Since he did that, there is no display at all (the PC turns on as normal). I ordered replacement RAM and hoped that would solve the issue but it didn't. We've tried the PC with a different gpu in it, different RAM, one RAM stick at a time, tried the display cable on another machine, and tried removing the cmos battery for a while to reset the motherboard. Is it likely that my dad damaged the motherboard when he removed the RAM? Or could it be something else?

Specs are:
mobo - Asus Prime B450m-k
cpu - Ryzen 7 2600
ram - Corsair vengeance 16gb ddr4, replaced with hyperX with the same capacity
gpu - tried with gtx1050 and an old 750

To sum up, PC worked completely fine for a short while, before the blue screens would come up every time we tried to open up a game in steam (it wouldn't happen when the PC was left idle), and only since the ram was removed and returned to the PC did the display completely stop working
Is your hard drive still working, is it also the same drive as your os