[SOLVED] No display on monitor when connected to my GPU

Feb 13, 2020
So, I have an HP Pavilion P7 1414 (AMD A8-5500 CPU 3.2GHz) which requires that I enable legacy mode in BIOS to get the computer to recognize a discrete GPU (mine is a Radeon 7750). It worked for a few years, but then started acting strangely. Once every few days I'd get no display when connected to the DVI port, so then I'd take the computer and hook it into the HDMI port with my TV (I have an older monitor that doesn't have an HDMI connection), then I'd have picture. Strangely after receiving picture using the HDMI I could then connect it to my monitor using the DVI cable and it'd work fine for another few days/weeks, then the same problem would occur.

Now it's not working with either. I don't have another computer to snap the GPU into to check if it's the card or else I'd do that. I've checked its connection and I've run a system diagnostic and the PCIe slot is working fine. So, is my card just fried?

Thanks.

Solution
Could be the card, could be the cable as well, and maybe even the monitor's port. Either way, start off by trying a different cable, either DVI or HDMI. Since your processor is an APU, you can also remove the GPU and try using the integrated graphics to get a display to further troubleshoot the issue. If you get a display through integrated graphics, remove all current drivers using Display Driver Uninstaller, then install the latest driver again. Also try updating the BIOS.
Could be the card, could be the cable as well, and maybe even the monitor's port. Either way, start off by trying a different cable, either DVI or HDMI. Since your processor is an APU, you can also remove the GPU and try using the integrated graphics to get a display to further troubleshoot the issue. If you get a display through integrated graphics, remove all current drivers using Display Driver Uninstaller, then install the latest driver again. Also try updating the BIOS.

Reactions: streetsahead85
Solution
Feb 13, 2020
Thanks for the reply! I forgot to mention that when the GPU wouldn't create a display my integrated card wouldn't either until I reset the BIOS to its original settings (I just remove the CMOS battery when I need to do this). Now I have a working display since I'm just using the integrated graphics, but I'm going to try to reset the drivers then flash the BIOS and go from there. Thanks again.