Question No display on new build

Jun 7, 2019
Hello guys,

I got my new parts today for a better build, but for some reason it's stopped giving me a display.

AMD Ryzen 7 1700
MSI Gaming Pro Carbon Motherboard
MSI gtx 980
Corsair vengeance ddr4

When I finally put the build together and booted, it booted fine, no issues whatsoever, it detected changes and windows got the devices ready, however when I shut down the system to go and reinstall windows, thats when I got nothing, I tried powering off and on a few times but nothing worked.

I've tried:
  • Reseating the CPU
  • Removing one ram dimm and leaving one in
  • Reseating gpu
  • Reseating cables
  • Powering down, holding the power button and removing bios battery
Nothing has worked and I've been at this for 5 hours! I looked online before buying and they say they're compatible...(they must be if windows booted once)

When I power up the board, the bios flashback button blinks 3 times, and the CPU led stays on for a second then goes off...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Edit: I just gave up, so I decided to go back to what I was using before, feels like I have just wasted money/
RAM is fine, detected on old hardware.
GPU is fine.
Absolutely no problems booting on this hardware.

[ASUS Prime H270 Plus, i3-6100]

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2019
Yep, tried that too, still nothing...
I just don't understand what the problem could be.

I'm using the GPU and RAM as we speak on my intel board, got annoyed trying to diagnose and just went back to my old stuff.

GPU is a MSI gtx 980
Ram is Corsair Vengeance 2133mhz ddr4

According to the website they're both compatible

Jun 7, 2019
Then motherboard has leds on that I believe are for debugging, no leds are light up.
Well, I say doesn't light up, the
Try flipping the switch on the power supply to the off position. Push the power button on the case.
Then flip the psu switch back to on and hit the case power button.

I've tried this already, still nothing.

The 'ez debug led' blinks CPU on power up, then immediately goes off

If no debugging LEDs are lighting up and the system is shutting down then you either have a direct short somewhere (Like a standoff in the wrong place under the board), bent pins on the CPU or a bad motherboard, especially since the memory and graphics card work elsewhere.

Another case of a typically low quality control MSI motherboard.

Jun 7, 2019
Well, I say doesn't light up, the

I've tried this already, still nothing.

The 'ez debug led' blinks CPU on power up, then immediately goes off
If no debugging LEDs are lighting up and the system is shutting down then you either have a direct short somewhere (Like a standoff in the wrong place under the board), bent pins on the CPU or a bad motherboard, especially since the memory and graphics card work elsewhere.

Another case of a typically low quality control MSI motherboard.

I eventually took the system out of the case and set it up as a test bench (sorta), I'm still getting nothing in the display. The debug light lights up the CPU light on startup for around 2 seconds then goes off. Ive double checked the pins and all are still in tact, there's no dirt or gunk in the socket itself either.

Jun 7, 2019
At this point i'd suggest you find a working AM4 system to test the cpu. If it doesn't work then what i said above has happened.

I'm really hoping that isn't what has happened, I really don't want to go through the warranty returns hassle! I've bought another motherboard from Amazon, Asus Prime B450-Plus, that should arrive tomorrow, I'm hoping it's just a case of a bad luck motherboard. Will update thread tomorrow.

Honestly, and granted I haven't "seen it all" by any means, but I've seen "a lot" over the last 30 years, and I've never seen a motherboard automatically overvolt a CPU to the point where the CPU was damaged or "fried" unless somebody had manually configured the voltage to ludicrous levels and even then the protections would normally kick in and shut the system down immediately. Especially on a modern hardware based system.

That being said, if there was an actual PHYSICAL problem with the motherboard, or another component, or a direct short running through one of the CPUs connected circuits, it could happen for sure, but it would be unlikely in the extreme without that. I've never, ever, seen a bare bones, plain jane, stock configuration just zap the CPU due to over voltage right out of the gate, for no reason at all. I seriously doubt it. There is something else going on.

Could be a bad board or a faulty CPU, but it is also EXTREMELY rare for a CPU to just be "bad" out of the box, or even to fail without something else or the person themselves causing it. Much as I dislike MSI as a motherboard manufacturer, I can't even get behind that idea.

It's probable that it's a bad board, but certainly there are other possibilities. They're just not nearly as likely. As I mentioned before, make sure there are no standoffs in locations that don't exactly match the holes in the motherboard for standoff mounting screws. If there are, remove them from the motherboard tray.