[SOLVED] No display or POST after replacing CPU fan

Feb 5, 2021
My old CPU fan was noisy and failing, so I went to replace it. In taking it out, it took the CPU out of its socket with it before I could unlock the socket. The pins all look straight, nothing bent or missing. But when I power on, I get no display, no POST, no beeps/codes - nothing. Just the fans running.
I tried clearing the CMOS, taking out everything except the power supply, re-seating everything, moving the RAM around, and still nothing.
I put my old fan back in, and now it's not noisy, which tells me the CPU isn't calling for any power; in addition, after letting it run a bit like this, the CPU itself was still cool to the touch.
So my question is, is my CPU shot? Could my mobo have been damaged getting the CPU ripped out like that, and is that the problem? Or both?
Specs: AMD FX 8350 8-core CPU/Gigabyte GA-78LMT mobo

Thanks in advance!

Solution
My old CPU fan was noisy and failing, so I went to replace it. In taking it out, it took the CPU out of its socket with it before I could unlock the socket. The pins all look straight, nothing bent or missing. But when I power on, I get no display, no POST, no beeps/codes - nothing. Just the fans running.
I tried clearing the CMOS, taking out everything except the power supply, re-seating everything, moving the RAM around, and still nothing.
I put my old fan back in, and now it's not noisy, which tells me the CPU isn't calling for any power; in addition, after letting it run a bit like this, the CPU itself was still cool to the touch.
So my question is, is my CPU shot? Could my mobo have been damaged getting the CPU ripped out like...
So my question is, is my CPU shot? Could my mobo have been damaged getting the CPU ripped out like that, and is that the problem? Or both?
Specs: AMD FX 8350 8-core CPU/Gigabyte GA-78LMT mobo

Thanks in advance!
Thats a tuff one can be both.... My best option for is to basically treat it as a new build tear it fully down minus the psu again. Start with just the mobo ram and cpu cooler see if you can't bench build that smoothly once done seat into the tower on it's side. Scewing in carfully seat all power cables to just the mobo test boot the system if nothing happens one or the other is saddly dead or maybe both most likely only one and i would more likely say mobo from stress if cpu shows NO signs of damage because being pulled straight out generally does nothimg to them it's generally the socket that takes the blow

Solution
Feb 5, 2021
Thats a tuff one can be both.... My best option for is to basically treat it as a new build tear it fully down minus the psu again. Start with just the mobo ram and cpu cooler see if you can't bench build that smoothly once done seat into the tower on it's side. Scewing in carfully seat all power cables to just the mobo test boot the system if nothing happens one or the other is saddly dead or maybe both most likely only one and i would more likely say mobo from stress if cpu shows NO signs of damage because being pulled straight out generally does nothimg to them it's generally the socket that takes the blow
Thanks - I'm tending to agree that it's probably the mobo that's messed up. Like I said, the CPU looks pretty much brand new, and unless I screwed up something internally (which I can't see how that would have happened), it doesn't make sense for it not to work. I'm just trying to figure out what the more likely culprit is, and knowing my luck, whichever one I replace will be the wrong choice, haha.
Thanks again for the advice. Going to keep tinkering with it and see what I can't find.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
You could post some pictures of the pins side of the cpu so we could have a look as well if you want to. Make sure they are well lighted if you go for this.

You can use Imgur to post a picture here,use the "img" link.
Click "new post" ->choose "upload images" -> "browse" ->choose the picture and click "open" ->put cursor on the picture that you uploaded->choose "share links" and copy the img link,paste it in your next post.

Feb 5, 2021
I don't have an imgur account - I did find a pretty good deal on a mobo/cpu combo. It's the same mobo with a 6-core CPU instead of an 8-core, but if my 8-core is still good I can swap them out. On that note, do I run the risk of doing any damage to the new mobo if my old CPU is bad (aside from the usual risks of changing out hardware)? That is, if something's wrong with my CPU, will it cause some kind of short or do some other unspeakable harm to the mobo?

I don't have an imgur account - I did find a pretty good deal on a mobo/cpu combo. It's the same mobo with a 6-core CPU instead of an 8-core, but if my 8-core is still good I can swap them out. On that note, do I run the risk of doing any damage to the new mobo if my old CPU is bad (aside from the usual risks of changing out hardware)? That is, if something's wrong with my CPU, will it cause some kind of short or do some other unspeakable harm to the mobo?
No real risk. Just a tip though give the cooler a bit of a twist as you pull it off usually helps prevent these issues