No Ethernet outlet in my room

Basheer_3

Prominent
Apr 21, 2017
I have a modem that's in the living room and my room is on the other side of the house and I can't get connection from there therefore I cannot play online games or do anything and I would like to set up an ethernet connection but my room doesn't have an ethernet outlet, what can I do ?

zoltan.boese

Estimable
Jan 30, 2018
Best connection would be ensure by a cable.
Second best solution can be a power line adapter.
Or you can also get a wireless repeater with lan connector, but you will not get the same bandwidth as direct connection to the modem.

try one of the newer power over ethernet kits. if the house is newish it should work. plug one end into the router and the other unit plugs into your pc. they then send ethernet over your home wiring. it a step up from wifi but you dont have to pull any cables.

Basheer_3

Prominent
Apr 21, 2017
Thank you all guys for your contribution.
I want to ask if it's possible to set up an ethernet outlet in my room, and if I do so will I get the internet coming out from the modem or do I have to buy a new internet package?

zoltan.boese

Estimable
Jan 30, 2018

If you can route a lan cable from your router to the room and want to hide the cable in the wall, you can do so. Here is some help:
https://www.wikihow.com/Install-an-Ethernet-Jack-in-a-Wall

Not having your house build of such light material as wood, you better stick to the power line adapters.

MERGED QUESTION
Question from Basheer_3 : "modem far away"

Many modems have a wifi option. If you have that, just add a wifi card or dongle to your pc.
If your current modem does not have a wifi output, you could either replace the modem or connect it to a wifi gateway.

Ethernet cables can be quite long.
Can you route a long cable to your room?

if you cable room is above an open basement where you can run wires....i would pick up a good 8 port switch. run a wall plug into each room then back to the switch. then plug the switch into the router or modem. if you need wifi for the home then use two ports on the router for ap units that look like smoke detectors.