[SOLVED] No F USB port on b450?

Status
Not open for further replies.

k1nationIG

Great
Apr 9, 2020
hey, I am building my first PC and I have no clue what an “F USB header” is. I can’t find it on my motherboard. Is it called something else on some boards. I am trying to make a Bluetooth cable work on a tplink archer 3000x WiFi card using a b450 tomahawk max

InvalidError

Titan
"F USB" sounds like it would stand for front-panel USB. If your PC case has front USB ports, the cable for those needs to plug into the matching port on the motherboard if you want to use them. There are two motherboard connector styles for USB3 (the original one designed for type-A and gen1 speed and the new one with the extra stuff for type-C and up to gen2/2x2 speed), you may need an adapter if the types do not match. Some motherboards have both.

k1nationIG

Great
Apr 9, 2020
"F USB" sounds like it would stand for front-panel USB. If your PC case has front USB ports, the cable for those needs to plug into the matching port on the motherboard if you want to use them. There are two motherboard connector styles for USB3 (the original one designed for type-A and gen1 speed and the new one with the extra stuff for type-C and up to gen2/2x2 speed), you may need an adapter if the types do not match. Some motherboards have both.
So if the port is labeled “usb” and has the right amount of pins on It, it should work?

InvalidError

Titan
The 3.0/gen1 header uses a somewhat chunky 20 pins rectangular connector that feeds two ports while type-C/3.1/gen2 uses a very distinctive 20 pins double-sided (10/side) wafer connector for each individual port or 40 pins for two ports.

When in doubt, check your motherboard manual.

k1nationIG

Great
Apr 9, 2020
The 3.0/gen1 header uses a somewhat chunky 20 pins rectangular connector that feeds two ports while type-C/3.1/gen2 uses a very distinctive 20 pins double-sided (10/side) wafer connector for each individual port or 40 pins for two ports.

When in doubt, check your motherboard manual.
Hey, sorry but I don’t think I understand. If the cable has 9 holes and the motherboard port has 9 pins, it will work, in most instances right?

Status
Not open for further replies.