Question No HDMI audio option

formulafox

Honorable
Feb 23, 2018
Hey all, so I've got a miniPC powered by an Intel J4105 CPU, just got it set up, but it REFUSES to acknowledge HDMI audio output is even an option that exists. When I go to check my available audio options, my ONLY option is "Headphones(KT USB audio)." I have even installed Realtek HD audio drivers and it has made no difference. I've no idea how to fix this, and every search I've turned up tells me to just go to the options and change it to the HDMI audio option but, as I've already noted, no such option exists.

I know this box can output audio over HDMI since it was doing just that while I was messing around with Linux on it. I've never had this issue with Windows before and it is frankly infuriating. Thank you in advance for any and all help you can provide.

formulafox

Honorable
Feb 23, 2018
realtek audio has nothing to do with hdmi audio, its on either nvidia or intel or amd
what display are you plugging into? does it have speakers built-in?
It has no speakers, but it takes HDMI audio and can output it through an optical or 3.5mm jack. I've had no issues outputting audio with any other device I've connected to it, and even this one worked when I was messing with Linux as I noted.

Aug 11, 2024
It has no speakers, but it takes HDMI audio and can output it through an optical or 3.5mm jack. I've had no issues outputting audio with any other device I've connected to it, and even this one worked when I was messing with Linux as I noted.
maybe you need to install the graphics drivers because most times it comes with them bundled.

That was the second thing I did after finishing the initial setup(first thing was installing the Windows updates). It was immediately after the reboot from that install that I noticed the audio issue.
When you installed Windows did you install the Intel Chipset app and the SerialIO app? If you open the Device Manager app, what does it show in the Audio Inputs and Outputs section and in the Sound, Video and Game Controllers section? If you run the Intel Driver and Support Assistant what does that show?

formulafox

Honorable
Feb 23, 2018
When you installed Windows did you install the Intel Chipset app and the SerialIO app? If you open the Device Manager app, what does it show in the Audio Inputs and Outputs section and in the Sound, Video and Game Controllers section?
As I noted in the main post the ONLY thing that shows is "Headphones(KT USB audio)."

I assumed Serial IO drivers would install when I ran the Intel driver auto-installer. So I've gone to check on that and have discovered that the PC is now refusing to boot. So I'll have to figure that out before I can proceed further.

formulafox

Honorable
Feb 23, 2018
When you installed Windows did you install the Intel Chipset app and the SerialIO app? If you open the Device Manager app, what does it show in the Audio Inputs and Outputs section and in the Sound, Video and Game Controllers section? If you run the Intel Driver and Support Assistant what does that show?
I got the system booting again, no idea why it was refusing to for a little bit there, but I've been able to look into things now.

I cannot download the Serial IO app - it just gives me an XML error.

The Intel Chipset App does not appear to exist anymore, I can only find the Chipset INF Utility, which...seems to do nothing as I cannot find a place to open anything new from after installing.

Intel Driver and Support Assistant just says everything is up to date.

formulafox

Honorable
Feb 23, 2018
I think I have found the problem... but I still can't fix it. In Device Manager, under "Other devices" there is a "Multimedia Audio Controller" with a yellow checkmark. Trying to have Windows update the driver does absolutely nothing - just says the driver is up to date.

I think I have found the problem... but I still can't fix it. In Device Manager, under "Other devices" there is a "Multimedia Audio Controller" with a yellow checkmark. Trying to have Windows update the driver does absolutely nothing - just says the driver is up to date.
Does this mini-PC have a name, make, model number and any information about the motherboard that might help identify the Multimedia audio controller? When you boot it in Linux does that provide any information about what this device might be? Does the manufacturer have a website which might provide a driver for that device?

formulafox

Honorable
Feb 23, 2018
Does this mini-PC have a name, make, model number and any information about the motherboard that might help identify the Multimedia audio controller? When you boot it in Linux does that provide any information about what this device might be? Does the manufacturer have a website which might provide a driver for that device?
This is the product page I ordered from: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B3LKG9J6/

The Trigkey website doesn't seem to have any driver downloads and I haven't been able to find any mobo information or anything.

I can't boot in Linux right now because the drive I WAS using is dying (I decided to test some stuff in Windows before I got back started with Linux, and those things are working better in Windows) so I don't have anything on-hand. And I don't have time to flash a drive to test with at this moment as I'm leaving for work soon.