[SOLVED] No HDMI output after booting

Dec 27, 2021
Some time ago the HDMI port on my old computer stopped working, just after a reboot (don't remember specifics). Trying to get it working again now, and for the first time (after not doing anything) I get output on the mobo splash screen, but goes black after boot and I'm getting the "Check device power" on my TV. DVI and DP ports work flawlessly, tried switching to a known good driver but still the same problems. Just did a CMOS reset yesterday to fix another issue I had, so can't be anything there.. Anything I can do on this very specific issue?

Solution
Just in case ... when you disconnect HDMI cable (and you will have to in order to sell it) the problem might come back just magically as went away. You should be aware of it.
It can happen that one specific port will stop working, and there is not much that can be done about it. The question is whether you are in such situation, or maybe just HDMI decided to not 'speak' with your TV anymore (happens too). Checked it with other display?

Dec 27, 2021
It can happen that one specific port will stop working, and there is not much that can be done about it. The question is whether you are in such situation, or maybe just HDMI decided to not 'speak' with your TV anymore (happens too). Checked it with other display?
Same thing with another display. But stopped working about a year ago (I haven't used this PC since), and no physical harm has been done to the port. But what's weird is I'm getting the MOBO splash screen, so it is outputting something. I'll see if I can get you a video if needed

(You made video private)
But what's weird is I'm getting the MOBO splash screen, so it is outputting something
So that would imply its the Windows that's responsible. Too bad you don't remember how it started. Sometimes Windows updates will mess up with drivers making them not work properly. In such case rolling back to a known working driver would not help. I would rather try with newest version.

Dec 27, 2021
(You made video private)

So that would imply its the Windows that's responsible. Too bad you don't remember how it started. Sometimes Windows updates will mess up with drivers making them not work properly. In such case rolling back to a known working driver would not help. I would rather try with newest version.
Oh, my bad. Video should work now. Tried the latest driver yesterday, no luck.

Jacob 51

Notable
Dec 31, 2020
Here's a video. The blue at the end is my TV's "no signal".
The video is private. I would recommend doing a system restore from the latest created restore point if your PC is working with the display cable/DVI cable.

If restore point restoring didn't work, it might mean that the HDMI port is damaged.
That's not the end of the world.
you can install a cheap graphics card and install it in your PC. Then connect the monitor to the HDMI on the graphics card and it will work.

Oh, my bad. Video should work now. Tried the latest driver yesterday, no luck.
DP to TV works right? Use that. Once you are in Windows, connect HDMI cable while keeping DP connected too. Now go to Device Manager. If things were working properly you would see your TV listed twice in Display section (as if you connected two of them). If it does not appear twice, try reconnecting HDMI cable few times.

Dec 27, 2021
The video is private. I would recommend doing a system restore from the latest created restore point if your PC is working with the display cable/DVI cable.

If restore point restoring didn't work, it might mean that the HDMI port is damaged.
That's not the end of the world.
you can install a cheap graphics card and install it in your PC. Then connect the monitor to the HDMI on the graphics card and it will work.
This link should work. I have a couple laying around I could try, but issue is I'm going to sell the computer, which is why I'd like to have the HDMI port intact.

Dec 27, 2021
DP to TV works right? Use that. Once you are in Windows, connect HDMI cable while keeping DP connected too. Now go to Device Manager. If things were working properly you would see your TV listed twice in Display section (as if you connected two of them). If it does not appear twice, try reconnecting HDMI cable few times.
TV doesn't have a DP port so I'm using a monitor with DP and then connecting the TV. Nothing appears in Device Manager, but TV recognizes a input, but not getting a signal.

Dec 27, 2021
In all cases I hit such problem reconnecting HDMI cable few times was only solution that worked. But, if you can't get TV appear in Device Manager, you can't really do nothing.
Just installed the newest driver again, as I had it in my downloads folder. TV suddenly lit up, and was getting input from the PC again. Just as magically as it went, it came back. Appreciate the help, I'll sell the PC and hope I don't get any complaints on the HDMI port not working

Reactions: DRagor