No HDMI output (new build)

hornetsFan

Reputable
Mar 5, 2015
I built my first PC today with very little experience. I just read the manuals for every piece of hardware and did some occasional googling. When I completed building the PC i tried to boot it and no output is coming through to the monitor.

My Specs are:
- Thermaltake Core V1 Snow Edition
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015UDUAKG/ref=ya_st_dp_summary?ie=UTF8&psc=1

- GIGABYTE GA-AB350N mini ITX AMD motherboard
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813145017&nm_mc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-

- Ryzen 5 1600 (And i've used the wraith spire cooler that came with it)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XNRQHG4/ref=ya_st_dp_summary?ie=UTF8&psc=1

- CORSAIR CS550M 80 plus gold
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139059&nm_mc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-

- 850 Samsung Pro 2.5" SSD

- G.SKill Ripjaws V series 8GB x 1 (the title of the product says intel but double checked with new-egg and other online resources and they said it shouldn't be a problem.)
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232085&nm_mc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-

-Nvidia GTX 770 2GB (had this lying around from upgrading other system)

Some things I noticed that are working properly:
- CPU fan is running
- System (case) fan is running
- GPU fans are running
-The power button works properly and lights up properly

Some things that aren't:
- No HDMI output
- Mouse will not light up when plugged into any of the USB's (even the ones on the case which i'm 100% positive are plugged in properly to the motherboard)
- Side note about the mouse and USB's: the very second i plug the mouse into the case's usbs the mouse will light up for just a very short flash)

I used a grounding strap when assembling and also I have read this link and tried almost every thing on the list:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems

- The only things on this list I haven't really tried are double checking the pins on the bottom of the CPU (even tho I had no troubles installing that onto the motherboard) and also #3 about the standoffs. My motherboard came with this plate that goes under the motherboard then the heat sink just screws right into those? Not sure if this doesn't always apply to every motherboard? Also don't have a system speaker.

I tried switching my RAM slot and have tried using both the HDMI slot on the motherboard and GPU.

One thing I'll try tomorrow is checking the thermal compound again on the heatsink and CPU. The wraith spire came with some pre-applied thermal paste, not sure how solid that is. But would that really cause this issue? I'm not even sure if the pre-applied is low quality. I was hesitant to check this tonight just due to the time and how long that task would take.

I really wanted to seek some advice before trying to do anything on my own and wasting even more time. Just one last thing, what would be an example of a good surface to "breadboard" on in case I need to test hardware.

Solution
If your RAM doesn't work, the whole system won't work.
It's not a good idea to have a single stick of RAM for Ryzen anyways.
The thermal compound won't be a problem till the system is actually up and running and generating heat.
If the GPU works, then the GPU works and it's not the GPU.
1. You HAVE to use the GPU's HDMI slot. The motherboard doesn't have any graphics processing power, future AMD CPUs will. Your current one does not.
2. Are you SURE the HDMI cable works? (test it on your tv)
3. Are you SURE the GPU works? (if it was lying around it could have been damaged.
4. The preapplied thermal paste is fine DO NOT REMOVE THE COOLER. If you do you have to remove the old paste off the CPU and cooler and put new paste on.
5. The motherboard's own box it comes in the an example of a case you could bread board it on, but since it's already put together don't bother.
6. Ryzen systems have a "long" (painfully so) very first boot up period. Where you may just have to sit and wait for it to power it self on and off a few times (for a few minutes) before anything should show on screen.
7. Do you have your OS install media plugged in?

Geef

Distinguished
If you have a DVI cord try that and see if it works. If it does get the basics for the computer up and running for your machine and then deal with HDMI afterwords. First do a normal unplug/replug or swap ends on the hdmi cord or try a totally different cord. If you don't have an extra try borrowing one from your TV since most things use that type of cord. I've had cords that worked fine and then stopped working one day until I did a replug. Just whatever happens don't go out and buy a expensive new hdmi cord. If your paying more than 10 bucks on a 6 foot cord something is fishy.

hornetsFan

Reputable
Mar 5, 2015

1.) Noted, thanks.
2.) The HDMI cable does work, I just went and tested it on my pi and it was still working.
3.) The fans were functioning and I put it immediately in its case when uninstalling it (at the beginning of this September) and placed the rubber stock over the exposed chips.
4.) When installing it at first I did remove it once very quickly after initially putting it on. After reapplying it on it seemed to stick quite well. If this could be the root of the issue I can remove it again and clean the old thermal paste and re apply new paste.
5.) Noted, thanks again.
6.) Would the TV not detect any input during this long initial boot period though? I don't think I can say I waited for more than about 2-3 minutes each time trying, didn't think anything was happening and didn't want to let the system keep running if something is not right.
7.) I did not actually, I have Ubuntu 16.04 on a USB but did not plug it in. The motherboard manual mentions a BIOS screen while not mentioning any sort of install media present. So I figured I should at least be able to see the BIOS screen.

yeah it's possible your GPU is just dead, so like if you can test it in any other working computer, that'd be good.
It's also possible your ram specifically is the problem:
This review is from: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 8GB 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200) Intel Z170 Platform / Intel X99 Platform Desktop Memory Model F4-2400C15S-8GVR
Pros: N/A

Cons: B350 and X370 motherboards have compatibility issues with Ryzen processors and DDR4 memory. The issue is related to an AGESA update in the BIOS that is not shipped with some motherboards, preventing the unit from a successful POST. You can work around this issue by updating the BIOS using an A-series processor, and later installing a Ryzen. Another concern is QVL compatibility lists for motherboard manufacturers, in which they test memory sticks. The popular G. Skill 4GB DDR4 is not found on many of these lists and may also be another root cause of these whirlpool issues. This is NOT ACCEPTABLE and why a recall of these products did not happen I do not understand. Newegg will slap you with RMA fees any time you return a product, so your best chance is to call Newegg Customer Service at 800-390-1119 and they will help waive some of it. Don't bother with MFG support, most of these guys are from Taiwan and you will find better support from Google, Toms Hardware, or Newegg user reviews. This is an excerpt from my headache of a technician from ASRock: "If with the memory installed, with 3 beeps and 8 beeps folowing, its unknow beeps." When ordering this product, prepare to test your luck- if the motherboard is equipped with its AGESA updates out-of-box, your Ryzen system will fly. If not, you will likely hear a beep code sequence during POST- 3 short beeps, pause, 8 short beeps.

And the especially long like 5 min first boot can also result from a not up to date bios.

It's really sad you don't have DebugLEDs to give an indication of what's wrong. You COULD buy a "case/mobo speaker" and plug into in the "speaker" pins on the mobo to listen for beeps. https://www.amazon.com/PC-Internal-Mini-Onboard-Speaker/dp/B002W4M0DW

hornetsFan

Reputable
Mar 5, 2015

I've let it run for about 10-15 minutes, I think it's safe to say it's not a prolonged BIOS screen. Also tried booting with the install USB media in, still nothing. Although I figured that would happen since it seems even the mouse isn't drawing power from the mobo (even if it is it's not working properly, no lights. etc). As regarding the spoiler about the RAM; well that's unfortunate and I'm not sure why the mobo wouldn't work with the processor out of box even without an updated BIOS seeing as this mobo was released just a few months ago. Guess not much I can do about that until the speaker arrives.

I just ordered a mobo speaker and it should arrive Tuesday. Before it arrives, is there any other helpful tests I could possibly perform? I'll test my GPU in my other system when I get home from work in a couple hours (if GPU works still, what could that mean besides just simply knowing the GPU works). I can also try re-applying new thermal compound, even though I think the compound that's there is possibly not applied very efficiently, but wouldn't that just cause the CPU temps to get a little high instead of not allowing the mobo to perform a successful POST?

If your RAM doesn't work, the whole system won't work.
It's not a good idea to have a single stick of RAM for Ryzen anyways.
The thermal compound won't be a problem till the system is actually up and running and generating heat.
If the GPU works, then the GPU works and it's not the GPU.

Solution
The one thing throwing me is your mention of fixing a backplate yourself ??

The backplate should already have been fitted to the board .
& every ryzen board I've used has come with Prefitted am3 style plastic stock mounting brackets on the front.

You simply unscrew & remove these plastic front brackets & screw the ryzen cooler to the holes that are left - they screw straight into the metal backplate through the board)

What is imperative is that you screw the ryzen cooler uniformly.

2 turns top left , 2 turns bottom right, 2 turns top right , 2 turns bottom left - then repeat.

I'd also ask (& this may sound stupid but it would not be the first time)

You did lift up the CPU release lever first , drop in the CPU , then lock it back down??

On a couple of other threads some people dropped the cpu in with the lever locked & fitted the cooler
While its possible to do this without damaging the CPU the pins will not make proper contact.

hornetsFan

Reputable
Mar 5, 2015

Yeah I only have 1 stick because of money. I was planning to grab another stick this black friday, I didn't think it would be a make/break issue.

So are you saying if the gpu fans are running that means it's good? Or can you only be sure by actually plugging it into a PC and seeing display on a monitor?

hornetsFan

Reputable
Mar 5, 2015

I suppose I decided on a poor choice of words. That is precisely what I did though, just unscrewed the plastic mounts off the mobo and then screwed in the heat sink. I made traction on one screw, then made traction on its diagonal and followed the diagonal pattern making 3 twits at each screw before rotating to the next.

When installing the CPU i did lift the lever, insert the CPU then lock it back in place. Just like several videos show by example. I'll have to check the pins later tonight, hopefully none are damaged as installing the actual CPU itself was a breeze (I've actually done this step before on another system. The only things I've ever done on a system before this was installing an SSD, swapping GPU and removing a CPU from a throw away system.)

Is it not weird that the fans are getting power from the motherboard but my mouse can't? If my mouse is detected from the computer it will light up (like 99% of them do) but it can't from this particular PC. And like in my OP the mouse will light up for a split second when plugged into the case usb ports. Not sure what to make of this.

They're USB 3 ports on the case .
Until bios has booted they may not receive power properly.

Have you tried the 2 black USB2 ports at the top of the back panel ??

Regarding CPU fitting , sounds like you did everything exactly right , I had to ask though.

hornetsFan

Reputable
Mar 5, 2015

Oh okay, didn't know that about the case ports. And I tried every usb port on the motherboard.

the fans spinning don't mean anything besides it receiving power, we need to see if it can actually output video.

hornetsFan

Reputable
Mar 5, 2015
Alright I have figured out the issue. After becoming impatient and driving back to my home city (~2 hours, not too bad) to a buddies house who has a DDR4 compatible motherboard. We were able to try my RAM out in his mobo and vise versa, I guess my RAM is defective. I emailed new-egg and they're replacing it so hopefully the new RAM will work properly.

I was able to get a successful boot after using his RAM. He did warn me though when my RAM comes in to make sure I adjust the BIOS settings from his RAM specs back to mine.

hornetsFan

Reputable
Mar 5, 2015

A bit of relief, I wasn't sure if I damaged something.

And yeah my RAM would prevent his motherboard from posting as well. Also, I learned quite a bit from not knowing what the issue exactly was; so that's that I suppose.