Question No idea whats wrong with my GPU

Feb 8, 2023
I recently bought a 3070 Ti and installed it on to my PC. While testing on several games I've noticed that the games weren't running well so I assumed it was lacking with power.
So the next day I bought myself a new PSU 1250W and installed it.

After doing so I'm not getting signal from the GPU but the fans run and the lights are on.
I swapped my GPU to my old one to check if my cables were the problem, but the cables work fine, I do get signal from my old GPU.

Any idea what's going on?
Did my PSU kill my GPU?

PC specs are
MoBo: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
RAM: Corsair Dominator 3400Mhz 4x8Gb
SSD: Samsung Evo plus 2Tb

Old GPU: Gtx 1070 FE New
GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3070Ti OC

Old PSU: Corsair HX750i 750W
New PSU: Coolermaster MWE Gold 1250V2 1250W

Reactions: anshumansingh

XANtheman

Prominent
Feb 12, 2022
I recently bought a 3070 Ti and installed it on to my PC. While testing on several games I've noticed that the games weren't running well so I assumed it was lacking with power.
So the next day I bought myself a new PSU 1250W and installed it.

After doing so I'm not getting signal from the GPU but the fans run and the lights are on.
I swapped my GPU to my old one to check if my cables were the problem, but the cables work fine, I do get signal from my old GPU.

Any idea what's going on?
Did my PSU kill my GPU?

PC specs are
MoBo: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
RAM: Corsair Dominator 3400Mhz 4x8Gb
SSD: Samsung Evo plus 2Tb

Old GPU: Gtx 1070 FE New
GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3070Ti OC

Old PSU: Corsair HX750i 750W
New PSU: Coolermaster MWE Gold 1250V2 1250W
Are you sure that your GPU is properly inserted in the PCIe x16 slot ? Also don't mix cables from old PSU

Feb 8, 2023
Try forcing PCIE 3.0 in your bios.

Also confirm bios and chipset drivers are all up to date. Chipset drivers can be had through AMD
Before doing this just wanna ask. Before switching my psu 3070 Ti worked but only stopped working after swapping the PSU do you think its to do with the chipset?

It defintely didn't work well before swapping the PSU.

But I will give it a shot

Before doing this just wanna ask. Before switching my psu 3070 Ti worked but only stopped working after swapping the PSU do you think its to do with the chipset?

It defintely didn't work well before swapping the PSU.

But I will give it a shot
Did you swap the PSU brick only, or the Brick and Cables? The cables are not guaranteed to be compatible, so you might have fried your RTX 3070 Ti by using the new PSU with the old cables when you swapped it. Using the new cables afterward would not fix the problem, since the GPU is already dead. You should always use the cables that your PSU comes with, and change the cables if you get a new PSU.

Kona45primo

Honorable
Jan 16, 2021
Yeah, was hoping you might have a backup laying around, or maybe one to borrow.

If it wasn't working well with the original psu, then something wasn't right from the get go.

Sometimes Pcie 4.0 can cause issues, hence trying 3.0. You can reset your CMOS and hope that gets things moving.

Feb 8, 2023
Did you swap the PSU brick only, or the Brick and Cables? The cables are not guaranteed to be compatible, so you might have fried your RTX 3070 Ti by using the new PSU with the old cables when you swapped it. Using the new cables afterward would not fix the problem, since the GPU is already dead. You should always use the cables that your PSU comes with, and change the cables if you get a new PSU.
This might have been the case but to be honest my new GPU didn‘t work well even before swapping the PSU

Feb 8, 2023
Yeah, was hoping you might have a backup laying around, or maybe one to borrow.

If it wasn't working well with the original psu, then something wasn't right from the get go.

Sometimes Pcie 4.0 can cause issues, hence trying 3.0. You can reset your CMOS and hope that gets things moving.
I only have Pcie 3.0 at the moment. and have tried CMOS reset

Feb 8, 2023
Both of my PSU were modular and I’ve been using cables from different company. Not sure if 8 pin PCIE cable would fry the GPU. I’m pretty sure 8 Pin PCIE are the same everywhere

Both of my PSU were modular and I’ve been using cables from different company. Not sure if 8 pin PCIE cable would fry the GPU. I’m pretty sure 8 Pin PCIE are the same everywhere
Cables are all the same at the GPU END. Each brand, and even model, may use a different pinout at the PSU END. The cables that worked for your Corsair, might be sending 150W of power through the ground pin with the new Coolermaster, causing GPU death. You need to use cables that either come with your PSU, or are specifically designed for your PSU model.