[SOLVED] No input Signal - twice in three months, my monitor has gone black.

U6b36ef

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
Today I was browsing. My PC had been on for many hours. Suddenly the screen went black, and the notification from the monitor said No Input Signal.

I remembered this had happened once before, maybe three months ago.

I checked my DP cable was attached. It was attached on both times this happened. Pulling out the cable and plugging it back in did not fix it. PC would not wake up with a mouse nudge.

The only way to get it back working was force a power down with the PC power button. Then restart.

It could be a Windows 10 issue. Or more likely a GPU driver issue. .... The Nvidia forums have nothing recent about this. Very old threads did discuss this happening.

I figured run it past everyone, to see if anyone else got this, or had heard of it recently.

Specs:
1080 Ti
32GB RAM
ASUS Z-370 TUF Pro Gaming motherboard
Corasir HX750i (PSU).

Last edited:
Solution
Have added PSU to above post. (I added specs because I knew someone would ask. However I think it's a software issue.)

Unlikely that it's the PSU.

The current PSU is a HX750i, and the previous PSU was a HX650i. Swapped over a year ago at least. This is a recent issue.

Good, a lot of times this is the PSU. But with an excellent unit, that's far less likely.

Were you monitoring temperatures at the time? Was there something specific you were doing similar in both times? Really intermittent things can be hard to nail down.

U6b36ef

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
Have added PSU to above post. (I added specs because I knew someone would ask. However I think it's a software issue.)

Unlikely that it's the PSU, although anything is possible. ... It happened both times when browsing though, so not about power draw.

The current PSU is a Corair HX750i, and the previous PSU was an RM650i. Swapped over a year ago at least. This is a recent issue.

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Titan

Unlikely that it's the PSU.

The current PSU is a HX750i, and the previous PSU was a HX650i. Swapped over a year ago at least. This is a recent issue.

Good, a lot of times this is the PSU. But with an excellent unit, that's far less likely.

Were you monitoring temperatures at the time? Was there something specific you were doing similar in both times? Really intermittent things can be hard to nail down.

Solution

U6b36ef

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
I was not monitoring temps. I was browsing. I had the air-con running, so if there was some obscure overheat, I would not likely have heard it.

I searched the Nvidia forums for this topic. One of the first links was the same thing seven years ago. EVERYONE with blank screen/no signal | NVIDIA GeForce Forums

My guess is software, but I will check my PSU > GPU cables. However if it was that, I think it would be permanent no signal. Not sure but I might even get a mobo beep for that.

U6b36ef

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010

Well it may be power supply, or cables. I just checked inside my system.

I pushed the modular GPU cables at the PSU end, just in case they were not in tight enough. The GPU fans sped up. I looked up, and my monitor was black.

Anyway I powered off, and got the vacuum cleaner out. Cleaned up a bit. Made sure the GPU power cables were fully pushed in, and rebooted. All was good, so I pushed on the GPU (PSU end) cables again, and this time nothing happened - all good.

I think that there is either an issue on the GPU PSU ports. (There are two sets so I am good.) Or the cables might be faulty. Or the cables were just not quite pushed in far enough. ... Although I doubt they moved even 1mm, when I pushed them. (If they moved at all.)

Anwyay its'a case of wait now and see what happens. Am guessing it's fixed.

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Titan
Well it may be power supply, or cables. I just checked inside my system.

I pushed the modular GPU cables at the PSU end, just in case they were not in tight enough. The GPU fans sped up. I looked up, and my monitor was black.

Anyway I popwered off, and got the vacuum cleaner out. Cleaned up a bit. Made sure the GPU power cables were fully pushed in, and rebooted. All was good, so I pushed on the GPU (PSU end) cables again, and this time nothing happened.

I think that there is either an issue on the GPU PSU ports. (There are two sets so I am good.) Or the cables might be faulty. Or the cables were just not quite pushed in far enough. ... Although I doubt they moved even 1mm, when I pushed them. (If they moved at all.)

Anwyay its'a case of wait now and see what happens. Am guessing it's fixed.

Hey, stupid, easy reasons for problems are the best; the fixes tend to be free! Will cross my fingers you run into no more issues as there's nothing obviously fundamentally wrong with your system.

U6b36ef

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
Hey, stupid, easy reasons for problems are the best; the fixes tend to be free! Will cross my fingers you run into no more issues as there's nothing obviously fundamentally wrong with your system.

I think I was trying to resist it being hardware issue. I didn't want to face it being my 1080 Ti GPU, because replacement would be costly. ... I still have my previous GPU though, a GTX 980, so all would not be completely lost. The 1080 Ti is way more powerful though for 1440p, than a 980.

Anyway I think I should choose one of your posts and click it as an answer. I think the issue is resolved, but only time will tell.

It did seem very odd that touching my GPU cable plugs, stopped output - quite scary. Like if the PSU has an issue it might take out my GPU. Anyway the cables are firmly in now, and as said, touching them more did nothing, once I pushed the cables in super-firm.

Actually while I was in there, I changed the cables out. I had left all the previous RM650i cables in place when I moved to the HX750i. I had to change the 24-pin cable, because it had a different fitting on the PSU end.

Anway, my GPU and CPU cables are in place from my HX750i. ... (There was no issue me having left my 650W cables there, as I never upgraded any other hardware. Power consumption was barely about 500W at the wall max, and was since I had the RM650i.)

Sorry, long story. I was explaining that I looked at the cables for common sense. I noticed that the HX750i used type 3 cables, and the RM650i used type 4 cables. I googled it and it means every cable is the same except the 24-pin one. However I changed my CPU and GPU cables over this time because it made sense. Given the issue that happened, I mean.

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Titan
I think I was trying to resist it being hardware issue. I didn't want to face it being my 1080 Ti GPU, because replacement would be costly. ... I still have my previous GPU though, a GTX 980, so all would not be completely lost. The 1080 Ti is way more powerful though for 1440p, than a 980.

Anyway I think I should choose one of your posts and click it as an answer. I think the issue is resolved, but only time will tell.

It did seem very odd that touching my GPU cable plugs, stopped output - quite scary. Like if the PSU has an issue it might take out my GPU. Anyway the cables are firmly in now, and as said, touching them more did nothing, once I pushed the cables in super-firm.

Actually while I was in there, I changed the cables out. I had left all the previous RM650i cables in place when I moved to the RM750i. I had to change the 24-pin cable, because it had a different fitting on the PSU end.

Anway, my GPU and CPU cables are in place from my RM750i. ... (There was no issue me having left my 650W cables there, as I never upgraded any other hardware. Power consumption was barely about 500W at the wall max, and was since I had the RM650i.)

Sorry, long story. I was explaining that I looked at the cables for common sense. I noticed that the RM750i used type 3 cables, and the RM650i used type 4 cables. I googled it and it means every cable is the same except the 24-pin one. However I changed my CPU and GPU cables over this time because it made sense. Given the issue that happened, I mean.

Honestly, I didn't really "solve" anything and we don't know if the intermittent problem is a problem, so there's no real need to do anything. I just hope you run into no more problems! As you say, it's an awful time to buy a GPU, so it's good that you keep another one around (I have a 1070 Ti still hanging around in storage because of this).

Reactions: U6b36ef