Question 'No Internet, Secured.'

CalScot

Commendable
Nov 16, 2021
This is the message I get when trying to logon to my home network from a laptop.
Yesterday we had a new Dell laptop. No joy. Right out of the box with Win 11 it won't connect.
Wen t back to Costco and traded it in for a new HP Pavilion.
Same issue, No Internet, Secured.

I've read about this error all day and there's no definitive solution.
My other three PC's, iphone and music server can access the network ok.
The laptop in question can access the home network/internet via my iphone hotspot.

I'm wondering if the error is related to my COX router. Will explore tomorrow.

kanewolf

Titan
This is the message I get when trying to logon to my home network from a laptop.
Yesterday we had a new Dell laptop. No joy. Right out of the box with Win 11 it won't connect.
Wen t back to Costco and traded it in for a new HP Pavilion.
Same issue, No Internet, Secured.

I've read about this error all day and there's no definitive solution.
My other three PC's, iphone and music server can access the network ok.
The laptop in question can access the home network/internet via my iphone hotspot.

I'm wondering if the error is related to my COX router. Will explore tomorrow.
Do you have MAC filtering or whitelisting enabled on the router ?

CalScot

Commendable
Nov 16, 2021
Had an idea...I took the laptop to the local library and it logged on to their wifi instantly.

I assume this means the issue is with my laptop /router combination?

(However I don't know enough to determine what to change...I seem to be using the WPA2-PSK (AES) security protocol which is apparently the most appropriate one. and still, all my other devices have no issue with the router.)

Last edited:

microtank

Commendable
Mar 26, 2021
Had an idea...I took the laptop to the local library and it logged on to their wifi instantly.

I assume this means the issue is with my laptop /router combination?

(However I don't know enough to determine what to change...I seem to be using the WPA2-PSK (AES) security protocol which is apparently the most appropriate one. and still, all my other devices have no issue with the router.)

Does your router have WPA 3 to determine thats what NEW windows needs to call the network SECURE?

Moderator Note: the above sentence may have been generated by using AI.]

Last edited by a moderator:

CalScot

Commendable
Nov 16, 2021
I don't know how to determine that. I'll keep on it.
An update though....I have 5Mhz and 2.4 Mhz from the router.
I went through the steps to forget the 5Mhz and then added it anew to the 'available networks' list.
And now that band works! I forget which security protocol I chose.
(Not the 2.4 though.)

CalScot

Commendable
Nov 16, 2021
I'm making some progress.
However i thought I would explore changing the channels for 5 and 2.4.
Except.....The COX router does not allow you to change channels!
And that's they way they've decided to do it. Grrrr...

This could be your problem. There are a number of 5g channels that have different rules that are even different between countries. Some devices rather than attempt to comply with all the rules just do not support these radio bands. This is more of a issue with wifi6 and 180mhz radio bands but it does happen even on 2.4g where the USA doesn't allow channel 13 where other countries do.

When you let the router auto assign the channel it might be using channels your end devices can not use. It is really bad when the router does not let you assign the channels. You generally can not manually assign the channels that have all the restrictions on them but most times you can assign channels around 40 or 150 in most countries. If the router does not even allow that it is hard to say how to fix it if it would assign channels you can not use.

Worst case buy a cheap router and use it as a AP plugged into the cox router . You can if you want then turn off the wifi in the cox router......assuming it has that option.

microtank

Commendable
Mar 26, 2021
Obtain the routers IP address. I am familiar with Cox you would need the username and password that the TECH or Cox assigned to to access the router. My iphone X requires WPA 2 otherwise it will say network is unsecure. Anything more modern might prefer WPA 3.

Have you tried what your phone says once connected to wifi?