No keyboard or mouse in installation screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jay712

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
Hi everyone, I'm trying to install windows 7 on to my new build but when I get to the language selection the mouse and keyboard stop working and no cursor appears, they both work in bios so I don't know what the issue is. Thanks in advance.

if its usb mouse and keyboard

make sure usb mouse and keyboard is enabled in the bios

its stupid how it lets you use usb to get in the bios but then doesnt recognise it in windows till it gets a driver

for it

High-Flying

Honorable
May 19, 2012

I had similar issue, USB keyboard working in BIOS but in Windows 7 installer. Luckily I had an old PS/2 keyboard in the loft, which was picked up in BIOS and Windows 7.

www.high-flying.co.uk

alanw73

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012

Did you figure out how to fix this problem? I'm having the same problem and cant figure out how to resolve it. Its driving me nuts!

NotRobocop

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012
If you're still having this issue --

Make sure your keyboard/mouse are plugged into USB 2.0 ports and -not- USB 3.0 ports.

This issue had me banging my head on my desk for awhile, too.

peachmango

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012

you sir just made my world happy again. this guys right, i love him cuz ps2 port wasnt even workin wid muh old keyboard :-O lol this mans a hero.

GrahamMurphy

Reputable
Jun 28, 2015
I've having the same nightmare as mentioned above. Read tons of posts over the past 2 days with loads of reboots, reformatting, etc....& still no keyboard (apple wireless or windows usb) or mouse to get past the windows language preference page.
I had a break through 1 hour ago using various advice online.
-windows 7 64 bit ultimate as an ISO pre-prepared and on my iMac 27in desktop (although this probably wasn't needed since I used the original DVD exe installer disc as the windows boot instead. But has been included as it was actually still there from previous install attempts).
-usb 2.0 64gb MyMemory stick in slot on left hand side as I look straight at the screen (closest to thunderbolt slots further left again as I look straight at the screen), . There are 4 usb slots on the back of this iMac.
-slot 2 has a usb unpowered hub to give me 4 additioanl usb slots (although it uses 1 of the main ones). I plugged my mouse & windows keyboard into the hub since they are low power users.
-slots 3 & 4 on the back of the mac screen were taken up with an external samsung DVD writer. An original windows 7 64 bit DVD was in the drive.
-I started the iMac. Opened the Boot Camp Installer. Formatted the Mac drive to 1 single drive...for the last time
-restarted Boot Camp. Ticked all 3 boxes. Split the drive 50/50.Other normal procedures/passwords continued.
-when it finally rebooted it went straight it went straight to the DVD and into windows install (no Alt press down required)...and the windows keyboard finally allowed me to use the arrow & tab keys to load up windows.....HOO RA.
-193 important & 43 optional updates for the next stage of this tooth pulling exercise of windows installation!
I really hope that this helps some people to finally get past this problem keyboard/mouse problem
Best of luck.

JSPONTACQ

Reputable
Sep 21, 2015

PERFECT!!!! this was exactly my case. Thanks a lot!!!!

daeliassen

Reputable
Dec 2, 2015
After hours of time and failed attempts, I found a utility by Intel which adds the USB drivers to the image file allowing the mouse and keyboard to operate. If installing from a CD, you must make an ISO and use Rufus allowing a bootable USB. Run the Intel application and enjoy. Intel web address https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25476/Windows-7-USB-3-0-Creator-Utility. You can also search the Intel site for Windows 7 USB 3.0 Creator Utility.

Wade B

Reputable
Dec 31, 2015
I was having the same issue. I have a new MSI motherboard with click bios and the mouse works fine in the bios. If the issue anyone is having is with a new mobo like mine, I found a setting in the bios under Settings/Advanced/Windows OS Configuration. It is for Windows 7 installation. It says there is no XHCI in-box driver in Windows 7 so to set this setting to "Enabled" until after Windows is installed and then switch it back to "Disabled'. Now it is working. :)

boostin

Honorable
Apr 19, 2013

I'd like to personally thank you for this. I was having this issue after also booting up a fresh build with a new MSI motherboard. You saved me 30 minutes of tinkering.

Oh, and your post was found 8 minutes after you posted. Perfect timing!

Feyreisa

Reputable
Jan 7, 2016

Sir. You are gentleman and a scholar. I would buy you a beer if I could. I was going insane and this very easy fix worked. Thank you!!

djk6516

Commendable
Feb 21, 2016

Thank you so much!! I would buy you dinner if I knew you.

AngieRemo

Commendable
Feb 25, 2016
I had the same issue on a Lenovo M900. The BIOS setting to change is Devices > USB Virtual KBC Support to ENABLED ;)
Thanks to djk6516 for the tip on XHCI :)

Big Mac 604

Commendable
Mar 10, 2016

That was a life saver thank you so much!

Camothesnake

Commendable
Apr 9, 2016

I'm still having problems, i use a macbook pro and am trying to install windows 7 on my computer, but when i get to the language screen(after it's done loading files) and my mouse never appears, i've tried unplugging my mouse which has a cord(after trying to use it),I've tried to use my track pad, and I've restarted my computer several times. I've been waiting almost 1/2 a year to get windows working again on my computer and I'm really desperate, PLEASE HELP

imjouster

Honorable
Jun 15, 2013
I've spent the better part of the last 3 days trying to figure this problem out. I finally figured it out... and here's the answer.

http://www.asrock.com/microsite/Win7Install/

Apparently with the new z170 boards they will not recognize any usb ports if windows 7 is trying to load. Windows 8 and above will work just fine.... Sounds like its just another way for them to try to push us to upgrade to win 10....

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS