Question No monitor and no peripheral activity

Dhap

Honorable
Oct 26, 2016
Hi all,

So I replaced my motherboard and RAM 2 years ago and not had any issues. I have taken time away from my PC before and had zero issues. This time I was away for 2 days, got home and turned on my PC when it froze when I went to log on so I powered down and went to boot up again. This time I have no peripherals or monitor activity but the DRAM light was on. I powered down and re sat the ram and tried with only one stick and nothing worked. This is the first time I've had a major PC issue and it's incredibly stressful.

All my fans are working and all LEDs in my PC all work as intended.

Dhap

Honorable
Oct 26, 2016
Full hardware specs including exact model numbers?
RAM: Kingston hyperX predator 2x16GB
Motherboard: MSI mpg B550 Gaming Plus
GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 FTW edition
I can't for the life of me find the exact CPU I have
Psu: SSR 650L (650W)

Nothing comes up for SSR 650L. I see a Seasonic SSR 650LM.,

Is this unit a Seasonic Core GM series model or something else? How old is the PSU?

Do you live in an area where there is a questionable power grid that may experience brown outs and surges at times or is prone to a lot of electrical storm and lightning activity to where perhaps something might have happened while you were away for 2 days?

Dhap

Honorable
Oct 26, 2016
Nothing comes up for SSR 650L. I see a Seasonic SSR 650LM.,

Is this unit a Seasonic Core GM series model or something else? How old is the PSU?

Do you live in an area where there is a questionable power grid that may experience brown outs and surges at times or is prone to a lot of electrical storm and lightning activity to where perhaps something might have happened while you were away for 2 days?
I live with 5 others and they say that nothing has happened to the power.

This one is like 3 years old now. My apologies it's the

Seasonic Core GC 650W 80+ Gold PSU​

Ok, well that's a decent PSU and not very old. That doesn't mean there can't be something wrong with it, but if were a lesser model/brand and older I'd be a lot more inclined to lean that way.

Even though your board can't be all that old, it might be a good starting point to pull the CMOS battery and test it with a volt meter to ensure it isn't weak or dead. On assembly lines, sometimes brand new boards get CMOS batteries installed that have been stored for a while and might not be in like new condition, so that they cause problems within a much shorter amount of time than you'd expect. Long shot, but cheap fix and easy to verify if it is.

Did you try BOTH memory modules individually? Which slot did you install the single DIMM in to test it? It should be the A2 slot, which should be the second slot to the right of the CPU socket.

Dhap

Honorable
Oct 26, 2016
Ok, well that's a decent PSU and not very old. That doesn't mean there can't be something wrong with it, but if were a lesser model/brand and older I'd be a lot more inclined to lean that way.

Even though your board can't be all that old, it might be a good starting point to pull the CMOS battery and test it with a volt meter to ensure it isn't weak or dead. On assembly lines, sometimes brand new boards get CMOS batteries installed that have been stored for a while and might not be in like new condition, so that they cause problems within a much shorter amount of time than you'd expect. Long shot, but cheap fix and easy to verify if it is.

Did you try BOTH memory modules individually? Which slot did you install the single DIMM in to test it? It should be the A2 slot, which should be the second slot to the right of the CPU socket.
Yeah I've tried both of my cards in A2 individually. I'll have a test with the motherboard tomorrow, with a bit of luck it works in the morning.

It must have something to do with everything freezing at once and then remaining frozen on start up

Let's be clear. Not "cards". "Dimms". Or "memory modules". Or even, if you must, sticks of RAM. But not cards. Cards has nothing whatsoever to do with memory modules. They just aren't "cards". But don't worry, you are not the first to call them that, it's just that I'd prefer that you appear to know what you are talking about so in the future it would be to your own benefit to call them DIMMs, which is what they are, being Dual inline memory modules, or at least just memory modules. It helps to avoid any confusion about what is being talked about.

If you have, or can borrow, another graphics card of ANY kind, that is known to be good, it would be a good idea to at least try swapping that out because this could easily be a graphics card issue as well. GPU calls to memory can absolutely cause similar issues.

Dhap

Honorable
Oct 26, 2016
Let's be clear. Not "cards". "Dimms". Or "memory modules". Or even, if you must, sticks of RAM. But not cards. Cards has nothing whatsoever to do with memory modules. They just aren't "cards". But don't worry, you are not the first to call them that, it's just that I'd prefer that you appear to know what you are talking about so in the future it would be to your own benefit to call them DIMMs, which is what they are, being Dual inline memory modules, or at least just memory modules. It helps to avoid any confusion about what is being talked about.

If you have, or can borrow, another graphics card of ANY kind, that is known to be good, it would be a good idea to at least try swapping that out because this could easily be a graphics card issue as well. GPU calls to memory can absolutely cause similar issues.
So this morning I took out the graphics card again and started up my PC, no graphics came through the monitors but my keyboard did light up.

Put it back in without PCIE cables and my monitor turned on saying they weren't connected which I thought was a good sign. But my keyboard had no LEDs.

Put the cables back into the graphics card and there was no activity across anything like yesterday.

Well, then clearly you have a graphics card or power supply issue.

Since your PSU is pretty decent and not very old, I'd be giving that graphics card the stink eye first. Certainly it COULD be PSU related, but since the graphics card is MUCH older I'd definitely try to find ANY graphics card that will work in your system just for testing. Borrow one, buy one or even just get the cheapest, most basic one you can find in order to test it out and see where you are at.