No mouse at all working.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jasonpwns

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
Every mouse Ive tried to get working on a system that I just installed XP on will not work. Note these mice are ps/2 but it isn't the port because I used a Ps/2 to USB converter and that didn't work either? Note Ive rebooted the system every time I tried a new mouse so it isn't the restart needed.

Solution

I am presently waiting on someone else to provide me with information about your BIOS, and the various settings available for user configuration. Hopefully this info will arrive today.

There are those things that we all, (well, certainly me), will naturally assume are done when when we (I) hear that Windows was just installed from scratch. However, I just need to know...

After you installed Windows XP, did you specifically...

This is an answer that makes me sit back a watch for awhile.
The PS2 socket can be dead if nothing plugged into it works.
If you have plugged a PS2 mouse into a USB adapter, that wouldn't have anything to do with the PS2 socket.
If you are plugging in a USB mouse to a PS2 adapter to plug that mouse into computer PS2 port, then we are back to a dead socket again, or bum mice.
It's just never been absolutely clear which way you are going here. You say USB adapter, but please state, for the record, original interface of the mouse, and it's USB adapter is going from what to what? because you said a USB mouse works but not a PS2 mouse (that's going through a USB adapter?)

As long as we are here at the same time,

what is it that you are looking for as a final, working mouse?

I ask because some people do not want anything plugged into the PS2 port, so they get a USB adapter and go with USB... Other people are just the opposite. You did say in your original post that these are PS2 mice, but then I started to doubt because of all the adapter possibilities. . .

The mice are PS2. So the adapter should be converting it to use a USB port. If the adapter isn't working, that doesn't mean the PS2 port is dead. It just means you need to get a different adapter. Or that maybe the mouse is broken.

The keyboard is USB. As long as your keyboard is working, you know that port works. You can get a new adapter, or a new mouse, and use that port to test with.

You can get a PS2 keyboard, and see if that works in your PS2 port. Or, you could get a USB to PS2 adapter, to test your current keyboard on that port.

There are ways to test this, without just assuming you have a dead port. If neither the mouse or the keyboard work on that PS2 port, we're back to my original assumption, that it's a BIOS setting.

jasonpwns

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
Guess ill have to wait until I can get my hands on another USB mouse.

Everything is custom except the mobo which is an intel D101GGC.

I am fixing to just throw in the A8N-Sli I have with a 1.8ghz sempron. The sempron ran just as good as the Pentium D did frame wise anyways (with same level video cards)

deeda

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2010

Delighted to see and read such solid advise. I'm in the electronics industry for many years and give only advise that is a known good solution and not some madcap idea off the cuff. If I dont know I wont offer any. deeda

I will second that. There is certainly an unneeded influx of skeptical advice given on this forum lately.

I feel somewhat vindicated, and I'm not done yet with getting to the real cause of this guy's problem. I shouldn't have sat here and watched so long, but I was horrified at what I was seeing and it just took awhile to get over the stun of it all. aford10 was trying to get at the root of the problem, someone else was talking the guy into blowing up his machine, (no more trouble with mouse after that eh?). I'm happy that I'm not alone in the woods here.

Quick and dirty would be fine if all that's needed is to put in the disk and press a button.
If you don't need the advice, you are certainly welcome not to read it, or to post your own solution. That's why they call it a FORUM.

In the meantime www.badge.com could assure that only what you have to say is shown, all others excluded, and you would not have to put up with the inconvenience of reading other opinions besides your own.

Oh sorry, I didn't see your solution for solving the mouse problem...cause you don't have one?

I am presently waiting on someone else to provide me with information about your BIOS, and the various settings available for user configuration. Hopefully this info will arrive today.

There are those things that we all, (well, certainly me), will naturally assume are done when when we (I) hear that Windows was just installed from scratch. However, I just need to know...

After you installed Windows XP, did you specifically install the Chipset drivers for your motherboard?
If not, they can be downloaded here:
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=9557&lang=eng

In Device Manager, do you have a hardware error concerning a "SMBus"?     Do you have a Yellow question mark for any "unknown" devices?    Near the bottom of the device list, please expand the section labeled "System Devices" and see if you have at least one entry labeled "Motherboard Resources" and that it has no error issues, because this thing has it's hands in ACPI big time.

Is your PS2 mouse an Optical Mouse?  If yes does the light shine while the computer is booting?
How about after Windows starts, and is fully running? (If it was on during boot, did Windows turn it off?)
Was it always off and never came on?
If you don't have an Optical Mouse, buy or borrow one.

I still think you have a dead PS2 mouse port, but I won't deny the possibility of a software malfunction.

There are more possibilities, such as a problem with ACPI power management, suspend-state mode, suspend-state timing, mouse polling interval, and a few stuck in the lint down at the bottom of the bag.

You may have already left town, but if you are still reading this thread, these questions may be helpful, particularly the ones about if the mouse lights up or not.

This just in........

The Award BIOS supplied to Intel for your motherboard has an issue of losing the PS2 keyboard, and..... Mouse. Check your BIOS version number and if it is lower than version 0313 you actually need to perform a BIOS Update. For complete instructions on how to do this procedure and to download the new revision, go to :

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?ProductID=2229&DwnldID=11738&lang=eng

I was also going to ask.... Did you plug in the additional +12 power? It's a square plug and plugs in just behind your PS2 receptacles.

Solution

Actually o Wizard behind the curtain... While you were spewing this diatribe, I was busy typing the response that immediately follows your hot air breathing.

Thanks for the "Official" vote of confidence.

I love to hear that hardware wasn't bad, because when it is, no amount of reasoning will make it work.
Software on the other hand can be a ruthless challenge, a place where "Angels dare not tread."
Make sure you check your BIOS version number!! The update is free, so why not..

Happy Computing,

~Tigsounds~

TRENDING THREADS