[SOLVED] No need for anti virus - just use Defender?

Nov 7, 2021
I've read in loads of places: DO NOT use antivirus software!
I also read that John Mcafee (may he RIP) never used any on his laptops - just made sure he never visitied dodgy websites.

I've got 2 new PCs, so just wondering what I should do?

Normally I choose the Russian Kaspersky (can always trust the Russians).
Or Mcafee.
I always use paid versions, never use free versions.
Should I just save my money?

Thanks.

Solution
ESET Smart Security Premium. I've been using them for years and years, back when they used to be called NOD32 with just the Anti Virus.

Windows Defender is good on it's own and I've heard it has improved a LOT in past few years. I guess it's just out of habit for me, I prefer to use a paid version of premium Anti Virus rather than relying on free built-in Windows Defender.

USAFRet

Titan
I've read in loads of places: DO NOT use antivirus software!
I also read that John Mcafee (may he RIP) never used any on his laptops - just made sure he never visitied dodgy websites.

I've got 2 new PCs, so just wondering what I should do?

Normally I choose the Russian Kaspersky (can always trust the Russians).
Or Mcafee.
I always use paid versions, never use free versions.
Should I just save my money?

Thanks.
The built in Windows Defender is the equal of any other AV tool, free or paid.

TheOtherOne

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2013
ESET Smart Security Premium. I've been using them for years and years, back when they used to be called NOD32 with just the Anti Virus.

Windows Defender is good on it's own and I've heard it has improved a LOT in past few years. I guess it's just out of habit for me, I prefer to use a paid version of premium Anti Virus rather than relying on free built-in Windows Defender.

Solution
Nov 11, 2021
Hi,

Windows Defender is more reliable than any free version of some poor-quality antivirus out there.
If you have to choose from a free version and Windows Defender, go for the second. In my opinion, a paid version is more complete but the choice is yours.

Cheers

Thriliya

Reputable
May 29, 2019
If you're not confident enough with what you are doing with your PC. Then I would recommend you to use antivirus. Kaspersky Cloud Free is the best free antivirus available out there in my opinion. Been using it for a year and totally satisfied with it.