[SOLVED] No need for standoffs with built in ones on case?

MutantMike

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2015
My Corsair 400c Carbide has raised standoff built onto the case. Also what particular screws do I use?

Picture has the ones for screws circled in yellow, the middle one is just a peg and circled in green

XmeELOe.jpg

Solution
The green peg is to hold the board in place, to make it easier to secure to the other standoffs.
Focus on aligning to the 'peg' and with the IO shield, and everything else should align.

You do not need additional standoffs when they're integrated - if you were to install additional, you wouldn't line up with the IO shield etc.

You'd use the screws labeled "d" in the manual - they're used for both the motherboard & HDD installation. Should be x16 of them included with the case.

If this is a used case and you don't have the included screws, you can test available screws for threading etc.
If a screw fits, and can be secured snugly (yet still be removeable), you can use them. While there's commonly used screws, I don't think there's a...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
The green peg is to hold the board in place, to make it easier to secure to the other standoffs.
Focus on aligning to the 'peg' and with the IO shield, and everything else should align.

You do not need additional standoffs when they're integrated - if you were to install additional, you wouldn't line up with the IO shield etc.

You'd use the screws labeled "d" in the manual - they're used for both the motherboard & HDD installation. Should be x16 of them included with the case.

If this is a used case and you don't have the included screws, you can test available screws for threading etc.
If a screw fits, and can be secured snugly (yet still be removeable), you can use them. While there's commonly used screws, I don't think there's a 100% clear 'standard' for all cases.

Solution

MutantMike

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2015

If a screw fits, and can be secured snugly (yet still be removeable), you can use them. While there's commonly used screws, I don't think there's a 100% clear 'standard' for all cases.

Ty.

Ok the peg lines up in center and IO shield lines up perfect

Now only 4 screw fit the other holes, is that cool? But at least one hole I can add my own bronze standoff so I will do that, making 5 total

Only screws with the big ones that also are used for other case parts but they screw in nicely to MOBO, nice and snug and also come out nice.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Now only 4 screw fit the other holes, is that cool? But at least one hole I can add my own bronze standoff so I will do that, making 5 total

Matter of opinion. If you can at least mount at the 4 corners, then you should be fine - but best practice would be to install them all.

Is this a new case? Or used? Do you have the mounting accessories? There should be plenty that 'fit' to mount 8 standoffs for ATX (+the 'peg' for the center hole).

Looks like there's a mix of integrated (top left) standoffs and removeable (on the right). Make sure the only 'removeable' ones installed are in the ATX layout. Anything in a wrong position has the potential to damage/short the board.

MutantMike

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2015
Matter of opinion. If you can at least mount at the 4 corners, then you should be fine - but best practice would be to install them all.

Is this a new case? Or used? Do you have the mounting accessories? There should be plenty that 'fit' to mount 8 standoffs for ATX (+the 'peg' for the center hole).

Looks like there's a mix of integrated (top left) standoffs and removeable (on the right). Make sure the only 'removeable' ones installed are in the ATX layout. Anything in a wrong position has the potential to damage/short the board.

Checked, they are all integrated, a couple do appear like the may screw in but they are integrated

It was used but he gave me screws and all

About 12 of these where included and they fit real nice for mobo

pCLh3gZ.jpg

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Checked, they are all integrated, a couple do appear like the may screw in but they are integrated

It was used but he gave me screws and all

About 12 of these where included and they fit real nice for mobo

Those as thumb screws - NOT for use with the motherboard!
There should only be four of those - as they hold the side panels on.

777.png

(b) are the type of screws you should be using.

MutantMike

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2015
I think he means....if you have a standoff on the case....and there is no corresponding hole on the MB....remove the standoff so it doesn't short the motherboard.

OK got it. I did add 2 stand offs but they are being used. The case has 3 stand offs remaining at the bottom out of my way, not using for full ATX mobos

MutantMike

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2015
Those as thumb screws - NOT for use with the motherboard!
There should only be four of those - as they hold the side panels on.

777.png

(b) are the type of screws you should be using.

Ok sorry for sounding like an azz.

The mobo came with 1 stand off but not sure where to put that

I do not have any designated screws but have about 100 from other builds that look similar, so if they go in and out good, use them?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Not 100% sure where the spare standoff would go - hard to tell from your pic (or my eyes!).

Ultimately, if you have an ATX board and have the 9 appropriately placed standoff (8+peg), then you're fine.

As for the screws, if they're the appropriate depth & can thread to be inserted/removed without being too loose or tight, then yes, you can use them without issue.