No New Half-Life This Year? (Say It Isn't So!)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]matt87_50[/nom]lol, how funny would it be if they did release it as epesode 3...like "WTF!? how come you can churn out 2 'full' games in L4D one and two in less time than it takes to make ONE CHAPETER for half life!?"[/citation]
+1 Took the words right out of my mouth!!!!!

DXRick

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
[citation][nom]Marcus Yam[/nom]Half-Life 2 going episodic was supposed to allow for the developer to make smaller, shorter games that would be served more often.[/citation]

I thought HL2 was the coolest game I ever played, but it took them way to long to do episode 1. By the time it came out, it was $29 and really short. So, I figured I would wait for episode 2. Then, when episode 2 finally came out, there was no way to buy just the episodes. You have to buy the whole game plus the episodes in the orange box.

I lost interest in the game because of the way they handled all of this.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
Son of a %&$#@!!!

Hopefully they release a new Engine to go along with it. The source engine doesn't look bad, per se, it's just lacking newer features that would make it much better. Though, it's take them ENTIRELY too long to come out with Episode 3. At this point, they might as well just make Half-Life 3 on Source Engine 2 or something.

h83r

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
If episode 3 isn't twice the length of episode 2 I'm giving up on the series. (a decade has passed and they've pumped out about 11 hours of half life playing time... come on)

Mulder19

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
This episode stuff is complete BS, except the part where everything is 1/4 the normal length. That came pretty much as a promised.

r3t4rd

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
[citation][nom]tacoslave[/nom]When i read the title i felt like a rectal thermometer was being shoved up my ass and being spun wildly.[/citation]
I take it you were feeling excited otherwise elaborate on your comment correctly. I do not know what that feels like nor would I want to know.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
Eh, Half Life 2 is overrated anyways. First game was good. Second was decent, but nowhere near as good as people try to claim. Sure it had great graphics, physics, etc. I wasn't that impressed with the story, and I hated the cliffhanger ending, but worst of all, the gameplay sucked. Outside of the gravity gun, the entire shooting mechanic was lackluster. It had some great scripted moments, but also way too many boring, tedious parts. It didn't offer a lot of freedom and was just a fancy rail shooter. Plus, it had lots of long, annoying loading screens.

I enjoyed Far Cry a lot more, which came out a couple months earlier. Maybe in a world where Far Cry didn't exist, I would've liked Half Life 2 more.

And now we're left with episodic content, which is extremely expensive given the amount of gameplay you get. The first episode sucked. I would've completely skipped episode 2 if it wasn't included in the Orange Box, which was a great deal. Episode 2 was slightly better, not as boring, but still not worth the wait or the price if I'd bought it separate.

I expect episode 3 to be more of the same. Valve reminds me of 3D Realms with their release schedules. It takes them 5 years to release a 10 hour game and 3 years to release what's basically a 3 hour add-on. I'll probably be on my third new computer since HL2 by the time Episode 3 comes out.

I'd like to completely skip it, but they'll probably suck me into buying it if they package it in another collection of games and if it's finally the conclusion of the damn story because I'm definitely not getting strung along for Episode 4.

fonzy

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
If it doesn't come out on a new engine I will be extremely disappointed.It's been 6 years since HL2, I would rather have had them skip the Episodes and work on HL3 for that time.

h83

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
I just hope Valve stops this episodes bullshit and develops HL3 with a new game engine and better gameplay!!! The original HL is still my favourite game, HL2 was a great game like many others but clearly didn´t have the brilliance of the first one and the story was pathetic and the episodes are the worst crap i´ve seen ever released by Valve: the same weapons, gameplay, graphics, story... What a waste of games! It seems to me that Valve is going the same route that Blizzard and others toke, just concentrating on Steam and forgetting games...

maximaniac

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
This is getting pathetic. I thought I had read somewhere, when Epi 2 came out, that Valve said they wouldn't need as long a development cycle since they have the engine in place for Epi 3. Obviously, they haven't kept true to their word if this rumor is true. I think the article might've been on www.planethalflife.com, but I'm at work now and that site is blocked.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
I love Left For Dead as much as the next guy, but come on, patience only goes so far no matter how great a game can be/is. It seems like the barrel of ideas is running dry or something. Still, I'll continue to wait for the next half Life installment - what else can we do?

etrnl_frost

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2009
[citation][nom]h83r[/nom]If episode 3 isn't twice the length of episode 2 I'm giving up on the series. (a decade has passed and they've pumped out about 11 hours of half life playing time... come on)[/citation]
I think you're onto something here. This means that HL ep3 will be released in 2012; so that we'll have 11 hours in 11 years. 1 hour per year. That's our annual awesome limit. Any more and we get awesome cancer.

The Black Mesa Source mod will be the most anticipated mod for the Source Engine...

Other mods such as Dystopia, NeoTokyo, SMOD: Tactical, Outbreak, Zombie Panic Source, etc will keep me busy in the meantime...

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
We will have to protest and find a way to make them release episode 3 this year

It is not fair, they must hate everyone to delay the releasing of the game any longer.

To those involved in making the half life series, it is very unpatriotic of you to delay releasing the game any longer. Not releasing the game is a pig slap in the face to everything this country stands for, now please do what it right and release episode 3.

siman

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009
For what it is the engine isn’t that bad and its flexible look at all it can do and it has one of the most users friendly SDK tools I’ve ever used. When it comes to graphics yes it may be dated a little but fakefactory's Cinematic Mod still looks good. I think the engine has a year or two left in it. Besides how many years did we go without an HL2, and if you compare Gold Source to Source the change is hardly "small" nothing is wrong with being frugal when the engine now works on every ones computer and consoles the market is good for the source engine.

badaxe2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
I can all but guarantee there won't even be any news of Episode 3 until at least 2011, with a release no earlier than 2012. In that time there will probably be another L4D sequel and maybe a spinoff of that or one of their other games. But not Half Life lol.

Hellcatm

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2008
Valve is one of the best game companies around. They only bring out games that are ready and top notch. Look at HL2 it took 7 years for them to bring it out because they wanted it perfect. I think its the same with HL2 EP3...either that or they are making a HL3.

I think they're making the Source 2 engine and then they're going to bring out HD2 EP3 or HL3 with new TF and maybe even new Portal. Right now they're just biding time making Left 4 Dead games so we see they're doing something instead of like before when we didn't know what Valve was doing.

I'm glad that they're taking their time, it tells me that they're probably working on something really special.

G

[citation][nom]michaelahess[/nom]L4D is crap, HL and Portal are the only two great games they make, they need to stop with the crap and keep working the good stuff. Each episode has taken too far, they are loosing their greatness with HL at this rate.[/citation]

Umm...Counter-Strike anyone?

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
[citation][nom]geniusreddy[/nom]Umm...Counter-Strike anyone?[/citation]

Counter Strike was a mod, not a Valve-developed game

Status
Not open for further replies.