No option to update to 10 on recently installed windows.

Tactic Alpha

Reputable
Mar 29, 2015
My hard drive recently failed, and I got an SSD. The problem is, when I reinstalled windows a few days ago, there was no option to update to 10 like windows on my hard drive. I have windows 8.1 completely updated. Any ideas? (I was thinking, you might have had to had windows 7/8/8.1 installed before people got the option to update)

USAFRet

Titan
1. The little Reserve icon does not appear for various reasons. 1 of my 4 systems did not show it at all.
2. It may only show after ALL the updates are installed
3. It only works on valid Win 7/8/8.1 installs
4. It is NOT required to upgrade to Win 10

That is there purely for marketing, and to promote user interaction and information. You will be able to upgrade without that thing showing.

USAFRet

Titan
Specifically:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-faq

Can I get my free Windows 10 upgrade even if I didn’t reserve?

Yes. The easiest way to get the free upgrade is to reserve, but you can upgrade even if you don’t reserve.

Once Windows 10 is available, we’ll begin notifying devices that their free upgrade is available. Just open the Get Windows 10 app to schedule your upgrade. Note: Some notifications will go out as soon as Windows 10 is available; others may go out in the weeks or months following.

Why don’t I have the Get Windows 10 app?

If you don’t see the Get Windows 10 app on your PC, it might be because:

Your device isn’t up-to-date with at least Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 Update.
Windows Update is turned off or is not set to received updates automatically.
You’ve blocked or uninstalled the necessary Windows Update functionality.
Your device is not running genuine Windows.

Running Windows Update and installing any available updates will fix the first three issues. Need more help? Go to our Windows Community Forum.

PCs that we determine cannot run Windows 10 will not see the Get Windows 10 app before July 29, 2015. After July 29, 2015, we’ll enable the icon in the system tray. This is to help ensure that you can easily check your PC’s compatibility if you choose.

If your device is managed as part of a school or business network, please check with your IT administrator about upgrading to Windows 10.

Tactic Alpha

Reputable
Mar 29, 2015

Thanks. Lol, I was thinking that was what I had to use to update, because I misread the thing on windows on my hard drive, I thought I said it was going to download it and then I could choose when to install.

lol--its a bit of clever marketing by microsoft

make things sound more exclusive and more people want it

but they want everyone using the same operating system--windows 10--makes sense from their point of view to only need to give support for one version of windows

and we are talking hundreds of millions if not over a billion windows pc users i would guess so windows update is the only logical way to get as many people onto 10 as possible

TRENDING THREADS