Question No Output To Monitor on Lenovo ThinkStation (Descartes Rev 1.1 motherboard) ?

lindylex

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2008
I have a Lenovo ThinkStation desktop PC with a Descartes Rev 1.1 motherboard. It outputs nothing to screen when I turn it on ?

What I have done so far.

- I tried a different video card and the same thing happens, no output to screen.

- The following fan come on CPU, power supply, video card and case cooling fan.

- I removed all the ram and tried one stick only in the black slot located to the right of the CPU.

- I removed all the ram and received the following beep alert 3 beeps and 1 long

- I removed the round silver battery for 8 minutes turned on the computer without it install same thing. Reinstalled the battery and the same thins occurred a blank screen.

Any suggestions on what might have failed? I have attached photos of the hardware currently installed. I am trying to find what hardware has failed.

IMG_3101.JPG

IMG_3100.JPG

IMG_3099.JPG

IMG_3098.JPG

IMG_3097.JPG

IMG_3096.JPG

If I've read the label correctly, the graphics card in your photo is a Sapphire Nitro R7 370.
This should have a 6-pin connector on it to which you must connect a 6-pin PCIe power cable from the PSU -- have you done this ?

And talking of PSU, please state make & model & approximate age.

lindylex

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2008
If I've read the label correctly, the graphics card in your photo is a Sapphire Nitro R7 370.
This should have a 6-pin connector on it to which you must connect a 6-pin PCIe power cable from the PSU -- have you done this ?

And talking of PSU, please state make & model & approximate age.
The Sapphire Nitro R7 370 I connected the power supply to it and yet no output to the monitor.

Image of the power supply.
IMG_3609.JPG

lindylex

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2008
I pulled out the parts cannon and still receiving the same result. I replaced the CPU and test with the same result. I replaced the motherboard with the same result. The motherboard is now a Rev 2. I tried various combinations of old and new CPU. I disconnected all the hardware and installed only the minimum, ram, CPU, GPU.

What I noticed the keyboard does not light up. I moved it to USB 2 and USB 3 with the same results nothing. I also check the CMOS battery which is at 2.96 volts.

Here is a video of the desktop. It is ran for a short time with no fan just so you can see how it is behaving.

View: https://youtu.be/uYmrIwYMGio

lindylex

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2008
I noticed the Rev 2.0 motherboard does not have the green display with numbers for the POST code. I reinstalled the old motherboard and noticed it has "60" for the POST code.

I am at a lost and not sure what else could be an issue.