[SOLVED] No Partition on HDD

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vice93

Reputable
Jul 3, 2014
TLDR: Trying to reinstall OS X but storage part of HDD isn't detected anywhere. Look here to see what I mean.
How can I find the remaining GB's of storage?

############################################################

So I got a Mac OS X 10.8 and when I start it I'm greeted with a white screen and a folder with a question mark.

Safe mode does not work.
Startup Manager does not work.
Apple Hardware test shows no errors.
Reset NVRAM does nothing.
Single-user mode does not work.
Verbose Mode does not work.

So after trying all the basic stuff I tougth I'd reinstall, however when I enter the Recovery tools and choose "Reinstall OSX" I get to the step where I am supposed to choose my HDD.

Well, there is none. It's just blank.

So I backtracked and hit disk utility to find that there is only one partiton, the one running the OS.
1gb size, 1gb in use. If I try to browse the HDD and click the "Music" tab for instance, the explorer quits.

So I'm stuck here at the moment.

I thougth I'd try to recover the partition somehow, as the partition layout is probably broken on the HDD, however I'm not sure how to do this.

I thougth I could make a bootable out of the program testdisk, but simply making an ISO out of the files (I downloaded the mac version) and burning it to a CD using TRANSMAC did not work. At least the CD is not bootable.

So this is where I'm currently at. I don't know what to do anymore. If anyone could help me onwards it'd be really appritiated.

Solution
Hey there, Vice93!

I'm sorry to hear about your struggles. :( You have some mad troubleshooting skills, though!
I'd still suggest you to open Disk Utility (from the Utilities menu) and try to Repair the Disk from there, see if that will help.
If that doesn't help, I recommend you to try booting into Recovery Mode and re-install the OS X. (Keep in mind that this will result in data loss)
If none of these help, I guess you should take the HDD out (ONLY if your Mac is out of warranty!) and test it on another Mac, see how it will get detected there.

Keep me posted! Hope this helps!
SuperSoph_WD
Awesome job, Vice93!
I'm happy to hear you've sorted out the issue!
Just a friendly reminder though - always perform backups of your data and be careful with the Reallocated Sector Count.
Keep an eye on it once or twice a month, just to make sure the number of bad sectors doesn't increase!

Happy computing & best of luck! :bounce:
SuperSoph_WD

Status
Not open for further replies.