No PC Version Alan Wake Currently Planned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanin33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
[citation][nom]CircusMusic[/nom]Because PC gamers are such a small market.....and most of us PC gamers will pirate the game anyway since it's too difficult to pirate console games..../sarcasm[/citation]

you forgot the YouTube demos and the ease of buying any tools you need from amazon these days... hacking tools are simple enough even for your technically inept...

stradric

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]CircusMusic[/nom]Because PC gamers are such a small market.....and most of us PC gamers will pirate the game anyway since it's too difficult to pirate console games..../sarcasm[/citation]

I'd guess that it's because this game has had a pretty lukewarm response and rightly so. The game looks like it could go either way. So why should they invest money into a PC game at this point in the dev cycle when it's not even clear the game will be a hot seller to justify the cost? It'd have been much different had they planned the PC launch from the beginning and budgeted for it.

And console games are definitely more difficult to pirate than PC games. Plus you run the risk of getting your console banned. Plus consoles are cheaper and easier than buying a gaming PC. That be the truth.

Hanin33

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2009
And console games are definitely more difficult to pirate than PC games. Plus you run the risk of getting your console banned. Plus consoles are cheaper and easier than buying a gaming PC. That be the truth.

sure if you play on XBL/PSN... but this seems to be a single player game anyway... so that point is moot... most flashing techniques have options to disable the hack to be safe... please, be informed about wot you're talking about and stop spreading FUD...

valcron

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2002
The real reason consoles don't have more pirates is most console players don't know how to do it. Most I talk to don't even know you can pirate console games. The word is slowly getting out there though. Wonder what these companies will do once console pirates equal/exceed computer pirates. It will happen one day and I have a feeling that day will approach faster than most people think.

Now before people vote me down no I do not promote pirating but I won't lie and say I don't know how to do it.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]stradric[/nom]I'd guess that it's because this game has had a pretty lukewarm response and rightly so. [/citation]

Actually most people seem excited by this game. Maybe it's just the hype wondering where it's been all these years but AW has always been a source of interest at E3.

Anyway I'm guessing a late PC launch knowing MS.

rockabye

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
Even buying tools and crap on amazon to pirate console games, as simple as it may seem, takes considerably more effort than pirating on a pc. Even disregarding the cost of games, I find it to be less hastle than going to the store, standing in line, and searching for game discs whenever I want to play. It's the same difference between looking up cheats and walkthroughs online now, compared to years ago when we had to buy GamePro and EGM magazines.
Slightly off topic, those gaming magazines provided a certain satisfaction that I just don't get anymore. Maybe I'm just old.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Lets see... Alan Wake was demoed to show the COOL abilities of DX10 when Vista first came out. 2 years later, nothing.

You guys keep telling YOURSELVES that PC Gaming (WITH AA titles) is strong?! Sure theres thousands of games... web games, trinket games by new game developers. There will ALWAYS be these simple games - and I am not counting those!

With less and less top end titles... Why and the F(*&#@$ do we need $200~400 3D Cards if there are NON titles to use them with.

Microsoft wants US to buy Xbox consoles. They're helping to hurt PC gaming. A few MMORPG games will not support the 3D gaming market. WOW is the #1 PC game, yet theres easily more sales of other games for consoles.

This will bite MS in the ass someday.
- With more and more people using the browser to do things, including word processing & spreadsheets... why do we (Home users) need MS-Office?
- If we don't need MS-Office, we can use any WP program we want, OO, Google, whatever... then why do we need Windows for?
- If there are few games that require the Windows OS... why have a Windows OS?

I'm not quite harping "MS dies tomorrow" - but that needing them goes down hill. The only people left are those need to run Photoshop and 3D/CAD Applications and some office productivity work.

I'll not help MS hurt PC gaming by buying an Xbox360. I'll buy a PS3 - which does support keyboard and mice - first!

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Oh yeah...

Nvidia and ATI should be getting nervous. If there are NO hard-core 3D games to buy and play, then theres NO need for a high-end graphics card.

Which then means companies like AMD, Intel, PSU and case companies should be nervous. If there is NO need for a high-end gaming card, then there is NO need for high end CPUs, 1000 watt $200 PSUs and fancy gaming cases.

Windows7 (and Linux of any flavor) will run JUST fine on a $50 dual core CPU with 2GB~4GB of RAM using a 200~300 watt PSU. Meaning, any $300~400 PC is all a person will need.

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
Problem with PC gaming market is they keep porting over these simple console games. Games should be based around the controller. Joystick and a D-Pad are for console games, mouse and keyboard are for PC. Make PC games that emphasize mouse and keyboard.
Where's a decent simulator? you know the flight simulators that have like 50 functions with crazy shift buttons to change various outputs for combat? Give us Micromanage nuckleheads something to micromanage. The great ole 1-0 key for weapon selection. WASD will be my movement keys forever!

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
it is an EPIC FAIL by microsoft if devs can't similtainiosly develop and release on xbox and pc at the same time. this was THE WHOLE POINT of their STUPID games for windows crap. having said that, it would be fine if they were working on an awesomer version for PC that takes advantage of the BETTER HARDWARE in pcs, but I don't think thats the case.

I don't get it!!?!? the only reason the xbox is 'easier to dev for' is cause its meant to be just like pc, so clearly there is something wrong if both versions can't be developed together.

(btw as a developer i know why this is... its cause games for windows live SUCKS and the xbox while trying to be like a pc, is fighting an uphill battle because the hardware is quite different.)

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
The controller is not the issue. And I hate WASD, which I don't use.

Consoles have their PLUSES, which developers love. This is what made the Amiga the computer for games to get in the 80s~90s... in that the hardware doesn't change (or much) and the devs can hit the hardware.

The PC (Mac/Linux too) is far more difficult to work with. Theres CPUS, some too slow... Different memory, different video cards with different memory. Background software sucking up CPU cycles, different OS with different patches, etc. There are 3 computers in my home.
1 - XP-MCE / C2Quad/ ATi 4670
2 - Win 7 / AMD X2 / 8600GT
3 - Win 7 / PDC / Intel GMA (notebook)

A game works with my quad when I had the 8600, but crashes with the faster 4670. Hence, WOW does very well since it'll play pretty good on any POS computer.

While the DEV knows that 99+% of the console hardware will be compatible. They (xbox/PS3) have online updating. The only thing that changes is that the hardware gets revisions for lower cost and higher \
reliability.

But Consoles are rarely cutting edge and with another 3 years before the next round of consoles, their tech will be old soon.

PC Gaming is not going to die. But 3D/Hardcore gaming will continue to die out of nothing changes. Who the hell is going to buy a $300 video card JUST to play Crysis2? Or whatever 1-2 games that actually hit the hardware bad. When theres more games for the consoles which all will work pretty well.

I'm looking the PS3... I sure won't HELP micosoft kill PC Gaming.

A handful of game titles WILL not support ATI/Nvidia. Think about it folks. Do we REALLY need a quad core 3.0Ghz CPU for most of our computer functions? We upgrade hardware for games for home... thats about it. Windows7 runs very well on a 1GB, Dual Core Pentium pretty good - and thats very low end. It does the web and run most apps just as good. Why do you think Netbooks are doing so well? They are weak, but strong enough to work.

reichscythe

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
*shrugs* Whatever.. this project's thunder was pretty much stolen by Eden/Atari's 2008 Alone in the Dark reboot anyway...

The 5 o'clock shadow sportin' Alan bears a generic, albeit scarless, resemblance to the re-imagined Edward Carnby. A. Wake's perspective, play mechanics and lighting look like AitD rehash... And when Remedy unveiled the "OMG-OH-SO-COOL-AND-INNOVATIVE" TV-series presentation, complete with the "Previously on Alan Wake..." voice over, I nearly choked...

Although, I wonder -- since the game has been in development so long -- if the "serialized" presentation was a part of the game back when it was announced in 2005, and Eden/Atari nicked the idea... or if Remedy saw Eden/Atari do it and said "DUDE! We should totally bite that! By the time our game drops, everyone will've forgotten Alone in the Dark!!"

CircusMusic

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
[citation][nom]harshahorizon[/nom]Microsoft want PC gaming be dead so end of story.http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/53403[/citation]
"If we launched a Halo game on PC and 360 in Germany simultaneously, 80 per cent of sales would be on the PC," he told GamesIndustry.biz. "We basically shoot ourselves in the foot by allowing the German market to choose to play the PC version."

So we are such an incredibly small market (great link)! If you can't make money in the console business without restricting your audience to that platform maybe you should focus on the money maker? I think if you focused your team on a true PC game and not just a port we wouldn't be getting these godawful ports like Lost Planet and Halo (Halo seemed ok but because of the delay of the port the graphics were very dated and couldn't stand up to current tech. This != good sales).

Mind you I'm not saying there are no good ports.. but it seems like those games have teams dedicated to the PC version so that they can make good use of our hardware and have natural game mechanics without the need of a controller. IMO controllers lack the precession you get with a mouse, tho I do like idea of WASD being replaced by a small thumb pad.. For FPSs, RTSs and such, you need a mouse for controlling your view/units/whatever. JRPGs seem to be the only game on a console that have no need for a mouse or at least doesn't benefit much from having one.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
demonhorde665:

Did you really need to QUOTE so much from my message to get your point across? That is "stupid".

have you forgotten 2 key facts ?

1. when sony launched the the PS 2 their CEO made this statement
"The PS 2 will kill pc gaming"
2. both the PS 2 and PS 3 were teh only cosnoels ever marketed as (and had it on their boxes) "computer entertainment system"

The PS2 & PS3 made a dent in PC-Gaming. I could care less about consoles, in general. My last Console was the Original PS. The reason a CONSOLE is looking attractive is the availability of games in general.

If *I* cannot buy a worth-while game for my computer... then I'm stuck buying a console. So, WHY should I give my money to Microsoft? And when I get a 50~60" TV, playing games on that will be more fun than on my 24" computer.

Microsoft has their own studios, and yet they RELEASE games for the Xbox360 only. They made the original XBOX to enter a new market.

lets take a look on Newegg:
35 Microsoft Title games, count those for PC: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2083230516+50001149&QksAutoSuggestion=&Configurator=&Subcategory=516&description=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=

20 MS PC games, (6 are Flight Sims - useless for consoles) http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2082750372+50001149&QksAutoSuggestion=&Configurator=&Subcategory=372&description=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=

Where is gears of War2, Halo3, Too Human, Project Gotham Racing 4, Lost Odyssey? I bought Gears for PC, a very good game. Enjoyed it. Yeah, Halo is not really very good as a FPS - its story and characters make the game. Besides MS did a horrible job making Halo for PC. UT2004 came out with better graphics, smoother action and more maps for the same price. (Halo1 only has 2-3 playable multiplayer maps - hence more people play the Halo1 PC demo than the actual game)
There is NO reason why MS doesn't make these games for PC. If they want to wait 3 months after console release, that'll be fine by me.

Look at COD games, they'll sell 10x as many copies for the consoles over the PC... while for every PC copy sold, there is about 3-4x the people pirating it. Not good.

So I'll stand by my statement: If there are NO AAA title games to buy on a PC, then who needs a quad core/8GB/SLI gaming computer?!

If a person is doing a start up, going the PC route is easiest. There is no licensing fees to pay. Get your feet wet, low development costs. When you're a company like EA, GT, UBI, Sega, etc... You're thinking $$$. If X number of PC owners has a X360, then I can develop an X360 version and the PC owner will buy it. No $ to spend on support or porting to PC, harder to pirate.

CircusMusic:
IMO controllers lack the precession you get with a mouse, tho I do like idea of WASD being replaced by a small thumb pad.. For FPSs, RTSs and such, you need a mouse for controlling your view/units/whatever.

BTW, not all console>PC ports suck. Refer to earlier GTA games. Anyways... The PS3 does allow the use of keyboards and mice. I've never mastered WASD... it doesn't make sense. I'm using the same config since Doom1 pretty much.

I use the mouse to AIM and move. Try it.
Left mouse = Forward
Right mouse = Backwards (I have a logitech 5 button mouse so...)
Forward-Side button = Strafe Left
Backward-Side button = Strafe Right
Mouse wheel = Zoom and/or switch weapons (depending on game/mode)

Thus, all movements are controlled by the hand on the mouse. Also less stress on the mouse.

CTRL = Fire
Shift = Alt Fire
Alt = Zoom or other useful function.
If possible, I put my most used weapons and control buttons A~G and Z~B

Shooting on the device you use to control movement... ugh.

CircusMusic

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
[citation][nom]Belardo[/nom]CircusMusic:BTW, not all console>PC ports suck. Refer to earlier GTA games.[/citation]
Me:
Mind you I'm not saying there are no good ports..
=)
lol anyway.. I can see your point with shooting on the same device you aim with, I'll give that a shot. Takes some getting use to for someone who's only used WASD I'm sure...

Have a couple more things to say:
There's seems to be large gaps in the releases of next gen consoles (wikipedia says from the sixth to seventh was about 5 years)
Why should I be forced to wait that long to enjoy the bleeding edge of what computers can do if I can afford it?
PC versus PlayStation 3 versus Xbox 360 from way back in 2005 stated that they were the equivalent to computers from that time (no surprise)... That's back 4 years ago, look at what's out now. There is the cost issue but if you really look at it game developers need to license with the console maker, this allows the console maker to sell consoles at below cost and still make a profit (altho I've read an article somewhere, slashdot maybe, that stated Microsoft, at least, is hemorrhaging badly after the 360 and is thinking hard about how to do the next one)
Having a constantly changing hardware lets developers push the envelope to bring us richer gameplay. And when that next gen console comes out they'll already be up to par (if they're putting the effort into making the PC games all they can be)

Also, Valve has done some interesting studies of pirates and sales on Steam

When Valve held its recent holiday sale, titles discounted by 10 percent (the minimum) they saw revenue (not unit) increases of 35 percent. At a 25 percent discount, revenue was up 245 percent.

At 50 percent off, revenue was up 320 percent, and at a 75 percent discount, revenue was up an astonishing 1470 percent. Newell stressed again that those revenue boosts represent actual revenue dollars, and not unit volumes.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
PC versus PlayStation 3 versus Xbox 360 from way back in 2005
The PS3 was released Nov 2007, its not even 2 years old yet. The GPU hardware of both PS3 & Xbox360 is from 2007(early) PC GPUs (ATI 1900 & GF 7800) which by TODAYS standards is SLOWER than a $55 ATI4650.

At 50 percent off, revenue was up 320 percent
Its easier to buy a $20 game vs a $40~60 game. Perhaps, if AA title games were released at $25 for the PC... we'd see less piracy? I kind of doubt it... but more sales.

I forgot the 3rd factor effecting PC Game sales: Heavy DRM. Until EA offically stops using SecuROM in its games, I won't buy anything from EA or its baby companies. (Oops, last minute change - called them ECA - their OLD name) Titles like BioShock, Mirros Edge and more. DRM that leaves root-kit like code on the computer, causes the game the crash, etc. And of course, as WE ALL KNOW - there are NO problems getting pirated versions of ALL these SecuROM "protected" games. Meanwhile, I bought SuCom, UT3, HAWXs, GOW, etc with minimal protection (CD-KEY or disc in drive)

Quick list of WHAT is hurting PC Gaming:
- Consoles :(More sales = more $$$ & Easier support)
- WOW & MMORPGs: Folks play these games for YEARS, 4-8-12 hours a day.
- Piracy : Many people are just traders, and wouldn't buy the game for $5. They are a lost cause. Protection doesn't work and you insult / inconvenience the legit gamers.

Imagine if the number of TOP titles is cut down by 1/3 in 1 year? keep in mind, UT3 - a well made game (crappy maps) sold like crap compared to UT & UT 2004.
- No Need for a Gamer PC which means:
NO NEED for ATI 6850 or GTX 465 card.
NO Need for 450+ WATT PSUs (2~4Core CPUs with 3 Drives work JUST fine with 200~300watts)
NO Need for fancy cooling systems or cases
NO Need for gaming keyboards or mouse
NO Need for fancy speakers... What? Watch movies on your desktop on a 20~22" LCD? When you have a living room with comfy couch and a 40~60" HD-TV and your AMP and Console plugged into it?

If the PC Gaming/ home power user isn't there... then the typical $300~350 Best Buy PC is all a person needs, especially with Windows7 since its faster and better than Vista. Look at the huge market of NetPCs & Netbooks for $300~400. You don't need a lot of POWER to use the internet and watch Youtube or Hulu.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]CircusMusic[/nom]Me:=)lol anyway.. I can see your point with shooting on the same device you aim with, I'll give that a shot. Takes some getting use to for someone who's only used WASD I'm sure...[/citation]

Force yourself for 2-3 days... Look at the logic, especially in a FPS:
WASD keys are exactly UP/DOWN/L/R. Pressing UP/R puts you at 45degree angle. With a mouse, you can control how much Left and right you want to do. And yes, I aim while running... or Stop and Aim if need be.

But there ARE disadvantages: When going Forward, your character can LOOK in different directions to take shots. So taking a Forward/RIGhT direction which doesn't effect your AIM is a good thing too... but at the same time - you can't exactly see where YOU'RE GOING.

They have their trade-offs. But I'm not wasting an extra finger fumbling to fight to press & hold W & D! While with the mouse, I just aim like YOU would normally. And since my trigger hand is NOT controlling movement, I can pick a specific weapon while moving, press Enter to open a door or activate.

BTW: on the some games I play online, I score in the top or above avg.

Almost all games allow you to modify the controls. ONI (blizzard) didn't allow ANY customization and controlling the character was horrible, I gave up after 2-3 levels. Stupid! What if a person is left handed? What if the player only has one hand?

Status
Not open for further replies.