Question No PCIe cables on a 700 watt PSU ?

Jun 4, 2023
Hi there, I need an advice. I built recently a desktop pc but due to a budget limitations I did not pay attention to the PSU specs besides the wattage. So I end up with a Golden Field GF 700W, with an actual power output of around 600 Watts which is totally enough for my needs with an i5-12500. I still was using my old 150 W gpu which I was connecting with one of two Molex 4 pin adapters. So my major problem is now that I want to purchase a RX 6700 XT which requires an 8-pin and a 6-pin PCIe power cables. Please advise what could be done beside buying another PSU. your help is much appreciated!

Jun 4, 2023
Well thats very unfortunate, the guys frome the store asured me that the psu can output at least 550W, I think it has 2 years warranty, I will have to have a little talk with them, thank you for the quick and substantial replies guys!

DSzymborski

Titan
You should probably never go to this store again, because the guys there clearly don't know anything. This is a bit like going to your mechanic and them telling you that you can make your car go faster by filling up the gas tank with tomato juice instead of gasoline.

You are very fortunate that this does not have PCIE cables. If it did, you would have hooked up this piece of literal garbage and you might no longer be the owner of an RX 6700 XT. And no, if you buy a junk PSU that instantly kills your GPU, that's not covered under your GPU's warranty.

I'm not sure what you paid for this -- any transaction that didn't involve them giving you money was a bad one -- but any reputable PSU is going to almost certainly cost a lot more than this. There's rarely anything under $60 that I'd even use to turn on the GPU.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
Well thats very unfortunate, the guys frome the store asured me that the psu can output at least 550W,

it might be able to put out 550w but most of that is not on the 12v rail. many years ago, pc's used a lot more 3.3v and 5 v power so psu's made more there. however, today most pieces use 12v power so that's where most of the power is focused. a quality psu made today will be able to put out 100% of its rated power on the 12v rail. not the other minor rails that are barely used today.

so before making another mistake, do your homework and make sure whatever you get now is capable of actually putting out what it says it can. we know what's worth it and what is not and can easily help offer some suggestions if you can provide us with an online shop you can buy from along with a budget.

Jun 4, 2023
That is much better than what you have, but still not a great power supply.
Budget is a concern for most of us .
It will work but not really a power supply I would suggest.
But it should be enough for my current configuration with a decent quality right?

DSzymborski

Titan
But it should be enough for my current configuration with a decent quality right?

Certainly not without a proper teardown. None of the ones for this PSU on YouTube are done competently; it requires knowledge, a load tester, and an oscilloscope. DeepCool PSUs are too variable -- there are some really awful ones -- to take on faith.

A PSU that's enough output and *quality* for the components is the most important part of your PC. You're treating the PSU as a complete afterthought, which is the exact wrong approach to take when building a PC. If you don't have the budget to get a 6700 XT *and* a competent, *proven* budget PSU, then you don't have the budget to get the 6700 XT and should get a less expensive GPU that leaves you with the funds to responsibly power your PC.

That is a very old power supply made for P4/ Pentium era computers.
Both Pentium 4 and Socket-A Athlon drew their power from +12v just like today. The design for that PSU predates those and was meant for Slot-1 and Slot-A from the previous millennium, which used +5v.

What would be a good PSU for us is pointless if you can't get it at your location. Is there an online store you can order things from?

Jun 4, 2023
Both Pentium 4 and Socket-A Athlon drew their power from +12v just like today. The design for that PSU predates those and was meant for Slot-1 and Slot-A from the previous millennium, which used +5v.

What would be a good PSU for us is pointless if you can't get it at your location. Is there an online store you can order things from?
In Europe I have access to probably any brand of PSU, you can give me a compatable one for my configuration, which is least expensive.

DSzymborski

Titan
Would CORSAIR PS CV650 BRONZE 650W this be ok?

No, nor would anything similar be a good idea. You're not in the wrong area when talking a quality GPU that requires discrete graphics.

You're not going to find much that is appropriate to run a 6700 XT for under 90€. As I said before, if that dollar figure is an impossibility, then you're not in the right place to get a 6700; the cost of the sports car comes with the cost of the insurance and maintenance.