Question No peripherals after Windows Update.

May 31, 2019
Some context: My girlfriend wanted a gaming pc, so we went to Best Buy and picked up a CyberPowerPC (model GMA3400BST). She hates Windows 10, so I installed 8.1. However, AMD or whoever dropped support for 8.1 a while back and I had no idea. I was trying to install drivers and it was going okay until I tried to install a graphics driver just to see if it would work. Peripherals stopped working. No mouse, no keyboard, no monitor. So I unplugged it, did a hard reset, and I had to do that a few times to get the peripherals to work. I tried one last ditch attempt to do Windows Update, and that seemed to be the last straw. Now they have not come back.

I have no idea if the stupid thing is even completing POST. There are lights, there's power, but none of the USB ports, no HDMI ports, NOTHING works. I've never had this much of a problem with wrong drivers before, ever!

I'd like to just say screw it and go back to Win10, but... how can I do that if the damn thing is brain dead from a bad driver?

(I went to school for this TEN YEARS ago... and I guess we don't do beep codes any more?! WHAT.)

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post with the hardware specs for the CyberPower PC.

And do indeed "go back" to Win 10.

Clean install:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/how-to-do-clean-installation-windows-10,36160.html

Do keep in mind that, being a new PC, there could be some hardware failure therein.

Look for the motherboard's User Guide/Manual and the troubleshooting section - may save some time and frustration.

Go online if necessary and check the motherboard's manufacturer's website.

Be sure to keep the receipt should you need return the computer.

May 31, 2019
Update your post with the hardware specs for the CyberPower PC.

And do indeed "go back" to Win 10.

Clean install:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/how-to-do-clean-installation-windows-10,36160.html

Do keep in mind that, being a new PC, there could be some hardware failure therein.

Look for the motherboard's User Guide/Manual and the troubleshooting section - may save some time and frustration.

Go online if necessary and check the motherboard's manufacturer's website.

Be sure to keep the receipt should you need return the computer.
Hardware failure on a brand new PC? So I wasted 500 dollars, then. :(

I only have the quick installation booklet it came with, and it states stuff like "supports xxx and xxx" and I don't know which specs apply to my unit. I can't get it to display anything, nor can I use the keyboard or mouse. Would it be alright to take a picture of the spec pages in the booklet?

Ralston18

Titan
Specs: Just post what was advertised or otherwise provided with the Cyberpower PC via the booklet or any applicable/relevant source.

And no - hopefully you have not "wasted 500 dollars". There should be some warranty via the seller and/or manufacturer.

I.e., return the PC to Best Buy and tell them it does not work. Especially if you paid extra for some form of extended warranty.

Ask for a replacement or refund.