Question No POST after Blue screen of death

ApacheSK

Reputable
Apr 1, 2017
Hi, i've been experiencing quite a lot of BSODs previous 2-3weeks, so I decided to do clean install of Windows 10 (Pro x64) as I thought it could be ruined OS already so I could fix it with reinstall, but nope. Today I formatted the system drive, started installing W10 like every other time, and there comes the BSOD.
It was "DPC Watchdog Violation", after the BSOD, PC turned off, not restarting, and when i tried to turn it on, it just went to POST
(CPU LED for 10s, then switched to DRAM for 1s, then to VGA for 2s and then PC turned off without finishing POST or just being frozen at that) - GPU is fine as i was playing totally OK yesterday

I couldnt boot my PC, I tried everything and nothing helped, finally i tried to re-seat the RAMs, and then I could boot and finally install Windows, now I'm running Single channel because that is now only option where it does run, and still afraid of that I won't POST tomorrow....

Do you know what could be problem?
I also tried Memtest64 (didnt have flash for Memtest86 for testing not in OS) and there was 0 errors with RAMs (20mins of testing?)

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
MOB: Gigabyte Aorus B450M
RAM: HyperX predator 3200MHz (16GB)

Now I'm in W10 and working normally, but I'm afraid at next update/restart/power cycle it just dont work again.

ApacheSK

Reputable
Apr 1, 2017
I checked it now, because didnt know the status of the system drive but all seems OK, secondary HDD just OK.
System drive is SSD, 85% (estimated life), but as I've written already 30TB on the drive of 300TBW, it should be fine (Adata XPG 8200 Pro 512GB)
And also other SMART values seems fine, no records of write/read errors.

I checked it now, because didnt know the status of the system drive but all seems OK, secondary HDD just OK.
System drive is SSD, 85% (estimated life), but as I've written already 30TB on the drive of 300TBW, it should be fine (Adata XPG 8200 Pro 512GB)
And also other SMART values seems fine, no records of write/read errors.
Is your motherboard updated to the latest drivers and BIOS version?

ApacheSK

Reputable
Apr 1, 2017
I've latest drivers from official website of Motherboard, chipset latest from AMD website.

I have little bit older bios (F40) - that's first version to support Zen 2. I planned to update bios, but now with possibly unstable PC (as i've got BSOD during win install??), i'm worried about trying to flash bios and withstand up to 5 minutes of doom waiting until it finishes the update process.

Also, my board has DualBios, but i cant do anything with that, because on Backup Bios i have F1 bios, that doesn't even support my CPU, so if I'm gonna brick main chip, i cant do anything with PC

I've latest drivers from official website of Motherboard, chipset latest from AMD website.

I have little bit older bios (F40) - that's first version to support Zen 2. I planned to update bios, but now with possibly unstable PC (as i've got BSOD during win install??), i'm worried about trying to flash bios and withstand up to 5 minutes of doom waiting until it finishes the update process.

Also, my board has DualBios, but i cant do anything with that, because on Backup Bios i have F1 bios, that doesn't even support my CPU, so if I'm gonna brick main chip, i cant do anything with PC
Is this a very new build? How long was it working properly before this problem appeared?

ApacheSK

Reputable
Apr 1, 2017
It was built 2 yrs ago, in Summer 2019, then in Winter 2019 i bought the SSD for PC.
Latest change was this January as my GPU was on RMA (RTX2060) because of fans (Got a new card, not repaired old - new serial number)

So it was working without problems for like 2 yrs, only 2 times i've got to change CMOS battery (PC wasn't starting)

No other problems

It was built 2 yrs ago, in Summer 2019, then in Winter 2019 i bought the SSD for PC.
Latest change was this January as my GPU was on RMA (RTX2060) because of fans (Got a new card, not repaired old - new serial number)

So it was working without problems for like 2 yrs, only 2 times i've got to change CMOS battery (PC wasn't starting)

No other problems
You said now only running single channel memory will work?
Are you using the motherboard manuals recommended slots?
Are you enabling XMP?
You could try manually setting the RAM to 2933MHz, everything higher is considered an overclock.

ApacheSK

Reputable
Apr 1, 2017
Well it was like this: (1 - RAM , 0 - empty slot)
Before the problems i've RAMs normally as manual said: CPU | 1010

After first BSOD (when clean installing W10) it just wont work in 1010
so i just switched to another Dual channel (CPU | 0101)

But when i got to windows, (im in Insider program) I got Windows 11 update, so normally went for that, it actually completed, but when PC was rebooting for first start of W11 i think it might be, it just BSODed (in W11 style also - there was PROCESS1 Initialisation failed)
and it all started again - No POST, just blinking CPU-DRAM-VGA light until i reseated RAM again.

But this time i tried 1010, back to 0101 and didnt work, also tried with 1 memory stick only, but nothing, finally it went OK on 0110

And it is Dual channel as i see, i thought board has slots like: "ABBA" but actually board has "AABB" channel layout (my previous Mobo has ABBA layout) - but nevermind - still weird thing that the other combinations didn't work.

In manual there were recommended "1010" and "0101" as I tried already, but 0110 seems running stable for now.

Yes, I've enabled XMP, using Profile 2 (3000MHz, CL17)
Profile 1 is (3200MHz, CL16)

Well it was like this: (1 - RAM , 0 - empty slot)
Before the problems i've RAMs normally as manual said: CPU | 1010

After first BSOD (when clean installing W10) it just wont work in 1010
so i just switched to another Dual channel (CPU | 0101)

But when i got to windows, (im in Insider program) I got Windows 11 update, so normally went for that, it actually completed, but when PC was rebooting for first start of W11 i think it might be, it just BSODed (in W11 style also - there was PROCESS1 Initialisation failed)
and it all started again - No POST, just blinking CPU-DRAM-VGA light until i reseated RAM again.

But this time i tried 1010, back to 0101 and didnt work, also tried with 1 memory stick only, but nothing, finally it went OK on 0110

And it is Dual channel as i see, i thought board has slots like: "ABBA" but actually board has "AABB" channel layout (my previous Mobo has ABBA layout) - but nevermind - still weird thing that the other combinations didn't work.

In manual there were recommended "1010" and "0101" as I tried already, but 0110 seems running stable for now.

Yes, I've enabled XMP, using Profile 2 (3000MHz, CL17)
Profile 1 is (3200MHz, CL16)
It is possible your problem is caused by the Windows 11 Beta release.
Have you tried just 1 stick of RAM in DIMM slot DDR4_2, and tried each stick to see if both sticks work properly?

ApacheSK

Reputable
Apr 1, 2017
Yes, when finding a working combination i tried modules separately to see if they work, i could boot with both modules no problem.
But there's a little detail, at the first crash i reseted CMOS by taking off battery, I forgot to do that at second, I'm starting to think if CMOS reset didnt help, not the RAM reseat, i guess i will try to force crash with W11 update if it does and try to only reset CMOS

i reseted CMOS but first it didnt help but maybe battery was not off long enough to reset it?

Yes, when finding a working combination i tried modules separately to see if they work, i could boot with both modules no problem.
But there's a little detail, at the first crash i reseted CMOS by taking off battery, I forgot to do that at second, I'm starting to think if CMOS reset didnt help, not the RAM reseat, i guess i will try to force crash with W11 update if it does and try to only reset CMOS

i reseted CMOS but first it didnt help but maybe battery was not off long enough to reset it?
You may be right.