No Post after multiple hardware replacement

jclarke

Prominent
Apr 26, 2017
I put together a computer for my son about 5 years ago. Asus AM3 board Crosshair IV Formula. It quit running recently ... start and stop, repeatedly. The radiator for the Corsair Hydro 50 was absolutely clogged with dust, so I thought CPU was probably burnt out. I replaced it with AM3 CPU but the BIOS would not update. There is no renaming program on the ASUS site for this unit, and I thought that might be the problem, so I tried manually renaming it, etc. No luck.
So I bought a new BIOS chip programmed with the C4F BIOS and got the same problem. Only recognizes CD not USB, says it's reprogramming BIOS but does not.
So then I replaced the motherboard, brand new Crosshair IV formula. ... Same thing. No BIOS beep, unless you take out the video card, then you get the video missing beeps ... one long, two short. Also by the way, I replaced the PSU.
Any thoughts about where to go from here? I have replaced MB,CPU, PSU. I guess video card is next. Never seen anything like this, but I'm not a pro.
Many thanks for any suggestions.
Jack

Solution

igtaba

Reputable
Jun 20, 2015
Can you give the name of the GPU?

Are you sure that the GPU is properly installed? and in the correct PCI?

When you turn the PC on, the fan lights and all of that , they keept turn on?

I would think that you GPU is the problem, try to borrow one to test if works or put yoor GPU in other build so you dont buy anything more before you're sure that the GPU is the problem

jclarke

Prominent
Apr 26, 2017

Well, I thought so too, based on some erroneous information from the Internet that the error beeps (one long, two short) refer to a video issue. In fact, for this system, that signal refers to memory. I dug that out of the owner's manual for the MB with effort.
So I change the memory and it booted up!
I really appreciate your taking the time to try to help me!
Thanks
Jack

igtaba

Reputable
Jun 20, 2015

I'm glad you sorted it out, And yes, sometimes vendors change the meaning of beeps.

Close the thread now then! so people can know that it is solved

Solution