Question No Post - Asus Rog Strix X570 - Code 00

Jun 18, 2023
Hi everyone,
I have a custom-built PC running a Ryzen 3950X on a Asus ROG Strix X570-E motherboard, with 64GB of G.Skill Trident Z Neo RAM, and a Samsung 970 Evo Plus SSD. Cooler is Dark Rock Pro 4 and PSU is Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium.
GPU is EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 FTW3.
This has been running fine for 3.5 years, with the occasional restart, and I am suspecting the 970 Evo Plus since it runs quite hot (usually 58°C in Samsung Magician in idle)

I finally had enough and decided to swap the thermal pads with Thermal Grizzly Minus Pad 8.
I also took the opportunity to replace the CPU's thermal paste.

Upon restart, I went to the bios and the temperatures seemed nice and low.
It didn't boot further and gave me an error message since I forgot to attach the extra PSU cables to the GPU, my bad.
Upon the next restart, I noticed that the outside CPU fan was not running, ups, I put it back the wrong way.
I removed it and set the CPU fan to 100% in the bios to see if the inside CPU fan (from the Dark Rock Pro 4) was also wrongly installed. It wasn't.
I turned the outside fan over and all of a sudden, everything died.
Power button didn't work, everything was dark.

Eventually, power button did work after 20 minutes or so, and started the system, but:
- the CPU fans rotate and then stop
- the exhaust case fan takes over, the only one that runs
- there is no POST or anything displayed on the monitor
- motherboard shows code 00
- RGB on motherboard, RAM and GPU seems to work
- neither the power button nor the reset button work anymore
- the only way to shut down the system is via the PSU's switch

to reiterate, the power button does start the system, but then pressing it does not shut it down anymore. Reset button doesn't work either.

The 00 code seems to indicate an issue with PSU, CPU or motherboard, from what I've read.

Based on the above, how likely is it the motherboard is dead?
I don't have any spare PSU, motherboard or CPU to test, unfortunately.
I do have a spare GPU that I am about to swap but I doubt that's the issue.

Any help would be appreciated :)

BurningSoul

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Have you removed the mobo battery and power cycled?
Have you made sure during cleaning there was no build-up of static electricity?

Jun 18, 2023
Have you removed the mobo battery and power cycled?
Have you made sure during cleaning there was no build-up of static electricity?
thank you for your suggestions.
I tried, yes, and the system booted fine the first time

I did remove the mobo battery, the only difference it made is that now all the fans are working when I boot

the CPU may be the issue, I just tried to remove the Dark Rock cooler and the CPU came with it :oops: despite the AM4 lock being in place.
I'll try to reseat it and see if that changes anything

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
thank you for your suggestions.
I tried, yes, and the system booted fine the first time

I did remove the mobo battery, the only difference it made is that now all the fans are working when I boot

the CPU may be the issue, I just tried to remove the Dark Rock cooler and the CPU came with it :oops: despite the AM4 lock being in place.
I'll try to reseat it and see if that changes anything
00 is bad motherboard, CPU or the connection between them. So could be the cooler pressure or you bent some pins.

Dark Rock cooler and the CPU came with it
Ouch so you pulled the cpu out of the socket trying to remove the cooler..

Jun 18, 2023
00 is bad motherboard, CPU or the connection between them. So could be the cooler pressure or you bent some pins.

Dark Rock cooler and the CPU came with it
Ouch so you pulled the cpu out of the socket trying to remove the cooler..
indeed yes, my guess is that fiddling with the cooler fans somehow unseated the CPU, although I did not touch the AM4 lock. I may have put too much thermal paste this time as well.
so that turned out to be the problem! I carefully reseated the CPU and reinstalled the cooler and the fans, and I am now writing from that PC :) Luckily all the components survived this.

Reactions: BurningSoul

TRENDING THREADS