Question No post, case fans don’t spin but CPU and GPU fans do.

JonahJay

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2012
Hi all,

Driving myself crazy with this. It’s probably something small and insignificant I’m overlooking but I am having trouble getting my build to post after making some component upgrades. I swapped CPUs from a R5 3600 to an r9 5900x, and upgraded my GPU from a 5800 xt to an RTX 3080. Current specs:

MB: Asrock Fata1ty mini itx b450 (updated bios before swapping CPUs)
CPU: R9 5900x
GPU: Gigabyte rtx 3080 gaming oc
SSD: Intel 660p
PSU: Corsair cm750x (upgrade from silver stone 600w
Essentially I cannot get my system to post. My CPU fans spin and light up (that was also a new component), and my GPU lights up and fans spin as well. Everything else is completely unresponsive. Case fans don’t move, no video output, nothing. I can power on the PC with the case power button, but I cannot turn it off with the power button. Have to use the PSU switch to kill power. I’m suspecting there could possibly be something wrong with my 24pin? I checked that the cable was seated, but can’t think of any other issue that would cause the case fans to not spin, but the cpu & gpu fans to spin, since they have separate power inputs.

it’s late, I’m tired, and I’m tired of troubleshooting. I’ve swapped back both the CPU and GPUs and nothing changes. Have not tried swapping PSU yet as it’s quite a pain running the cables through an ITX case for testing. Don’t have a test bench, but I may attempt swapping the PSU next.

Any other input or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks all.

the cpu & gpu fans to spin, since they have separate power inputs
most likely.
while any case fans directly powered by motherboard headers are not receiving any signal at all.
it’s quite a pain running the cables through an ITX case for testing
just pull it all out and set it up as breadboard until you get it figured out.

it's always possible that some damage occurred to the motherboard, or the power supply, while the swap was taking place.
configuring in an ITX environment doesn't usually offer much room to be as careful.

I have the same motherboard for my daughters system but she only has a 3400G running on it. One thing I have noticed with the board, when updating the BIOS, the instructions are a little confusing and very specific. Did you follow all the steps it lines out? What BIOS version were you running before and what version did you upgrade it to? For instance, it says,
Update AMD AGESA Combo-AM4 1.0.0.3

* Please install "AMD all in 1 with VGA driver ver:18.50.16.01_WHQL" or a later version before updating to this BIOS.
** If you updated the BIOS before updating the AMD all in one driver, please refer to the Display recovery SOP to recover your system.
*** User will not able to flash previous BIOS once upgrading to this BIOS version.
**** If the current BIOS version is older than P1.70, please update BIOS to P1.70(PinnaclePI-AM4_1.0.0.6) before updating this version.

JonahJay

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2012
most likely.
while any case fans directly powered by motherboard headers are not receiving any signal at all.

just pull it all out and set it up as breadboard until you get it figured out.

it's always possible that some damage occurred to the motherboard, or the power supply, while the swap was taking place.
configuring in an ITX environment doesn't usually offer much room to be as careful.
swapped to the old PSU and GPU and still same problems unfortunately

Jan 11, 2023
swapped to the old PSU and GPU and still same problems unfortunately

Any update on this? I'm in a very similar situation. Ryzen 9 5900X, RTX 3060Ti, ASRock fatal1ty b450 mini ITX, Corsair SF600 platinum. I can get it to post with my old Ryzen 5 1600, no other changes. Same issue when using my old 1060, or no GPU at all. My mobo came with BIOS v4.80, so flashing shouldn't be necessary. Would LOVE to hear an update as I've started a return on the CPU.