Feb 26, 2015
Hi all,

System specs as follows:
CPU: i4790k
MB: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H
RAM 4 x 8GB DDR2
Gfx: Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB
Power supply Corsair RM 750

It's been a pretty solid machine for years with good cooling and temps.

Out of the blue it started failing to post... the mother board blipping (not beeping) once and displaying a series of error codes. repeatedly. I suspected the power supply so I replaced it with the stock case PSU - an Antec 550W unit. That solved the problem - for about a month after which the exact same problem happened again. This time I measured the PSU voltages and they all looked good. I then removed a single stick of RAM and bingo, it's working again.

Can I conclude that the RAM was the problem? If it was actually the RAM, why did changing the PSU fix it, temporarily? Is this sufficient evidence for an RMA on the RAM?

Anyone any insights?

Thanks in advance

Solution
If you pull all the ram except for one stick at a time and try to post, if that one stick you pulled is the only one it wont post with then yes it was your ram. If it posts only because you are using only three sticks of ram then you have to continue to troubleshoot.
If you pull all the ram except for one stick at a time and try to post, if that one stick you pulled is the only one it wont post with then yes it was your ram. If it posts only because you are using only three sticks of ram then you have to continue to troubleshoot.

Solution