Honorable
Feb 16, 2012
I hope someone can help me

Specs

MOther board - Asus M597A - EVO
Processor - X4 960T
Ram - 8gb DDR 3
Power supply - 750w Diablotek

I bought the computer parts and assembled, booted up no post, pulled everything but processor and main power. NO Post

Replaced Mobo....no post

replaced processor and power supply...no post.

RIght now I cant keep expecting the company(amazon) to keep replacing the hardware every time something doesnt work. I have gone through all the trouble shooting steps on here, hence the new parts, talked to Asus and there are no compatibility issues with the parts.

Any help would be great

I can help you, however, I will ask for 2 things.

1) The maker and model of every part in the computer including the case.

2) A full description of everything you did as good as you can possibly make it.

In terms of #2, don't fear that you are going into too much detail.

For example, I haven't heard anyone ever come in here and say, "I saw this bag with wierd looking gold screws in it that came with the case and I didn't know what to do with them so I just left them in the bag", even though such a statement would cause anyone in here to be able to tell you what you did wrong within 10 seconds (not using them was the thing in this example).

The more you break it down, the more potential I have to see where you may have tripped up at.

With only such a little description, all I can really tell you is to make sure you used those things I mentioned and that make sure your PSU is plugged twice into the motherboard. Also, make sure you put paste on the heat sink and that it is installed right.

You are my eyes and ears here, keep that in mind. Any things you see or hear can help me help you. Note down everything, no matter how small you might think it is.

sublime4283

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012
Diablotek 750-watt ATX power supply PHD750
AMD Phenom II X4 960T Black Edition 3.0 Socket AM3- HD96ZTWFGRBOX
ASUS EAH6670/DIS/1GD5 Radeon HD 66750 GDDR 1GB Video Card
Cooler Mater COol Master ELite 430 Mid Tower ATX Case with Window RC-430-KWN1
Corsair 60GB Force Series 3 SATA III 6Gb/s 2.5 Inch SSD
Crucial Ballistix 4 BG DDR3 x2

I received all the parts in and assembled this was not my first time(bout 15 builds over 15 years) but no trouble shooting expert just been lucky with only 1 DOA before.

As you said all the details:

1) I installed Power supply first then the separate drives.
2) Installed processor and fan, and then installed motherboard.
3) The new thing I have never seen before was the standoffs with the centering rings on them(qty 2) for the case.
4) Plugged the main power and CPU power cables in.
5) INstalled front panel connections and USB.
6) Installed video card.
7) Installed ram.
8) Plugged in SATA DVDRW, SATA SSD and SATA Disk HD.
9) Hooked up Mouse Keyboard and monitor
10) turned on.

No Post

Followed ASUS diagnostics steps that another forum post suggested
1) Removed RAM
2) Removed Video Card
3) Removed all additional connection (USB, SATA)
4) Turned on

No Post

Switched the Speaker wire around to see if it was plugged in backwards

No Post

Attempted Bread Board assembly to see if it was a grounding issue

No Post

Ordered another motherboard

Attempted Breadboard assembly ( including switching the speaker both directions)

No Post

Ordered new processor and power supply based on forum recommendation of order of possible DOA hardware (didnt want to mess with pinning out powersupply)

Reassembled with new processor and power supply...by passed bread board setup assuming all replacement components were good.

No Post.

Removed Video card and ram

No Post

Cussed alot registered on tomshardware.com forum and posted attempting to leave my frustration with hardware(or myself) out.

Side note 1 month ago I built my wifes computer with no problems used the same motherboard different processor and works great. I double checked with ASUS and they said I had the right bios 0902 and should not need to flash it.

At this point I am about to send it all back and have them send me something else, but to keep requesting RMA's has got to have me looking shady.
1)

The thing that stands out to me is the Diablotek PSU. Diablotek is not one of the preferred PSU's. It wouldn't surprise me if you got two bad ones in a row. I would recommend getting a Corsair, Seasonic, Antec, PCP&C, XFX, or Enermax.

BTW, case speakers are not affected by polarity. If they don't work one way they will not work the other. :bounce:

sublime4283

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012
yea the chances of me getting 2 of anything bad in a row is going to be hard to believe. I did read a forum post where someone was having a no post issue and they took the processor out and put it in another computer and then had the same problem but a solution was never posted....but like I said at this point my RMAs are stacking up.

On the case speaker...I didnt think so, but ASUS tells you to so I did.

larkspur

Distinguished
Having your wife's computer with nearly identical parts makes a great test bed.

Have you tried using temporarily borrowed parts from the wife's rig to figure out where exactly your problem lies? I'd start at the PSU. Go back to the breadboard and try her known-working PSU with your motherboard. I know you've changed PSUs twice but obviously something isn't right.

And I was a little confused about your comment about the stand-offs for the motherboard. When inside the case, you did use stand-offs right?

larkspur

Distinguished

Ah, ok, just had to be sure. Well, with the wife's system, you have all the parts necessary for diagnosing your bad component. It's just a matter of breadboarding in the most basic configuration until you determine what it is.

Use her PSU for your breadboarding. Have only the CPU, CPU heatsink, PC speaker and power-on switch installed in the motherboard. Hook up all your motherboard power cables and plug in the CPU fan cable to its appropriate motherboard connector. Then power-on and listen for the I-have-no-RAM-installed beeps.

If that doesn't work try the wife's CPU with your new board. If the board still won't POST then the board is just plain DOA. A board should POST with a known-working CPU, PSU and PC Speaker when powered-on.

Agreed with them, if you have a working computer of similar specs, then you can just take parts from it and try them in yours.

You can also put your stuff in hers, which is where I would start.

Let her try your CPU first, then RAM, then video card. Take the one back out that you put in before you put in the next one.

If her computer works with all of those in there, then try hers in yours in the same order.

smalltalker

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
I hate to admit this in public but here goes.
I ran into a similar problem a while back. Eventually, the problem was that
1) I was connecting the power switch connector to motherboard backwards (not sure if that was root cause).
2) I actually neglected to check the power supply switch / power switch - i.e. never made sure that the power supply switch was on AND pressed the power on switch on the case. Once I had the "DUH" moment, everything worked.

aaab

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011

No need to do it in that order... check the easiest stuff first.

RAM Video card, PSU then CPU.

EDIT: Just a thought
Maybe it could be your case switch... Try plug another case switch into your motherboard. Or just use a screw driver and touch the two pins together (Make sure you use a screw driver with a plastic handle!!!)

larkspur

Distinguished

No need to check the ram and video card, it won't POST even without those installed. It's either PSU, mobo, cpu or power cable user error (which is unlikely b/c he is an experienced builder).

Edit: Just saw your edit - yeah it could be a bad case power switch. Many motherboards have power-on switches built-on so you he can try that. Or if it doesn't have its own switch, short the pins.

sublime4283

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012
My current suspicion is the original processor was bad, and when I got the second mobo and installed the original processor it fried the 2nd mobo. It is spinning fans(and I shorted out the power switch when I breadboarded it) so I know its not the case power switch. I considered the grounded surface I use a 2 touch rule (work with explosives) so ESD is unlikely but it could be possible.

I am hesitant to put my processor into my wifes comp, last thing I need to do is fry her mobo. I would be fine with swapping her Power supply, or even her processor in my mobo(unless there is a chance of frying her processor).

My main goal is to understand the problem before I do another RMA I dont want amazon questioning all my returns as a user error, therfore not giving a ***.

sewalk

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010

The power-on pin is only supplied by the +5V Standby rail in the power supply; insulation from a low-current 5V DC source is hardly necessary unless you have a pacemaker and are standing in a bucket of salt water..

Not that it matters, but Amps are what kills you, not current. The amps on the 5v line are not going to be more than about 30 anyway, but just sayin.

I would suggest people use a regular flat screwdriver with a handle on it if for no other reason than most people have one easily available especially if they need one to even open their case and install parts to begin with.

That being said, pretty much anything should work as long as it is metal.

Amps are current :) I think you meant to say that amps are what kills you, not voltage. as far as the only 30 amps on the 5V rail, heck, you can weld with 30 amps...

sewalk

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2010

The PowerOn pin is not fed from the main 5V rail. Note I said 5V Standby; this is a low-current rail in every ATX power supply that provides a small amount of current at all times (even when the system is switched off) for the power-on circuitry and such functions as WakeOnLAN.

Good call. I am trying to juggle dozens of threads nobody else wants and its affecting my focus. I wish others wouldn't leave so many people hanging for a whole day. Especially when the problems are that the people wanting help can't boot.