No POST or beeps on new build

Mac15001900

Prominent
May 13, 2017
This is my first time building a computer myself. The mobo seems to be receiving power (fans are spinning), but there is no video output or any beeps from the system speaker. I tried doing the checklist, but got stuck on the system speaker bit: what am I supposed to do when there are no beeps at all? Does it mean mobo is DOA or could there be other reasons?
There are also debug lights for CPU, GPU and RAM on the mobo itself that are supposed to light on when either of those is missing/not working - all of those are off.

Parts in case that's useful:
Mobo: Msi Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon
CPU: Intel i7 7700K
GPU: GTX 1070
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x16GB
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W

Thank you for any help.

Solution
you have 3 options

1) borrow a 6th gen cpu and update the bios
2) take the motherboard to a store and pay to have the bios updated
3) return the motherboard and get a z270

the z170 although compatible with 7th generation cpus , unless you get a z170 motherboard that is relatively new from the manufacturing plant , then it is likely to have incompatible bios version.

Mac15001900

Prominent
May 13, 2017

Oh, so system speakers don't work without a CPU then?
I don't think I will be able to just return it if there's nothing wrong with it, so I'll probably have to update BIOS myself then. If I understand correctly, I will need to get the cheapest compatible processor and use it for the update. Would Intel Celeron G3900 be alright for this?

adiec

Honorable
you have 3 options

1) borrow a 6th gen cpu and update the bios
2) take the motherboard to a store and pay to have the bios updated
3) return the motherboard and get a z270

the z170 although compatible with 7th generation cpus , unless you get a z170 motherboard that is relatively new from the manufacturing plant , then it is likely to have incompatible bios version.

Solution

adiec

Honorable

the g3900 should be fine . i will check for you firs though

edit: it will be okay to use to update .