[SOLVED] No POST until disconnect power & HDMI. Help?

Sep 1, 2021
System:
  • Phanteks Evolv Shift 2
  • AMD Ryzen 5 5600x
  • MSI Armor RX580 OC 4gb
  • Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX
  • Samsung 970 Evo Plus (and couple 2.5" drives)

All of the above are new components except the graphics card, which is connected via a riser cable.
Of late, I have been having issues with the PC intermittently not POST'ing when I boot the PC from cold or from restart. I found that the consistent way to fix this is to:
  1. Unplug power cable from PSU
  2. Unplug and reconnect HDMI cable to same port on GPU
  3. Reconnect power cable to PSU

POST successful after those steps.

Anyone experienced this before? Was it your GPU or the riser cable (or what else) causing this issue?

Thanks in advance

Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You forgot to mention the make and model of the PSU and it's age(if it's been recycled from an older build). Breadboard the system outside of the case, with and without the riser cable to see if you're suffering a short of some sort in the case and if the riser is also adding to that short possibility.

Last time I had a system that didn't want to POST, was due to a grounding issue(build up of static) and the PSU of lack luster quality so it did a number on the innards. No I didn't build it, it was brought it so I had to rectify someone else's mistake.

Lutfij

Titan

You forgot to mention the make and model of the PSU and it's age(if it's been recycled from an older build). Breadboard the system outside of the case, with and without the riser cable to see if you're suffering a short of some sort in the case and if the riser is also adding to that short possibility.

Last time I had a system that didn't want to POST, was due to a grounding issue(build up of static) and the PSU of lack luster quality so it did a number on the innards. No I didn't build it, it was brought it so I had to rectify someone else's mistake.

Solution
Sep 1, 2021

thank you for the welcome :)

it is a brand new Fractal Design Ion+ 650w SFX-L PSU. How would I verify the ground issue and how would I resolve it?
I am going to try with the graphics card plugged in directly later...

it's just odd that without fail, it will POST successfully again if I reconnect the HDMI cable whilst the power cable is removed