Question No post with Ryzen 3800x and Asus B450-F Gaming

Mar 21, 2020
Hi,
I'm trying to update my Ryzen 2700 with a Ryzen 3800x but I can't get my PC to boot or even get into BIOS/UEFI.
My config is as follows:
  • Asus Rog Strix B450-F (I updated to the newest firmware)
  • Corsair Vengeance (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz
  • Gforce RTX 2070 Super
  • Seasonic 550W Platinum Plus
I tried with just one or both RAM sticks in all different slots, shortened the CLRTC and did a reset of the BIOS defaults. None of these steps changed anything.
After powering on all fans go full throttle, then the Q LED of the mainboard goes yellow which stands for DRAM and turns red right after that which stands for CPU. Then the system reboots. There is no signal the whole time. So I'm unable to get out of this boot loop. Everything works fine with my "old" 2700.
ASUS says the 3800x is compatible in general.

I've never experienced a dead cpu in my life but could that be the cause? The CPU is brand new btw. Or do you guys have any other ideas?

This is really driving me nuts.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Greetings
Markus

Last edited:
Hi,
I'm trying to update my Ryzen 2700 with a Ryzen 3800x but I can't get my PC to boot or even get into BIOS/UEFI.
If you didn't before you changed processors, you'll have to re-install your 2700 to update the BIOS to Version 3003 to get Ryzen 3000 support.

If you have done it, did it boot up with your 2700 after the update?

Have you reset CMOS? You should have both before and after the update, but trying it now can't hurt.

Mar 21, 2020
If you didn't before you changed processors, you'll have to re-install your 2700 to update the BIOS to Version 3003 to get Ryzen 3000 support.

If you have done it, did it boot up with your 2700 after the update?

Have you reset CMOS? You should have both before and after the update, but trying it now can't hurt.

Yes I updated to version 3003 and resetted CMOS. System boots up normally with 2700 but it does not with the 3800x.

Yes I updated to version 3003 and resetted CMOS. System boots up normally with 2700 but it does not with the 3800x.
It appears you've also done all I'd suggest for checking memory...both in different DIMM sockets and one at a time. Yet you're still getting a fail at RAM in POST.

DOA CPU's are so very rare, but things do point to it. If you swapped back in the 2700 and it boots right off I'd agree to go looking for an RMA, either to seller or AMD. And as Nighthawk suggests...at the time you swap the CPU's you can check for a bent pin. AMD won't RMA a bent/broken pin CPU.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2020
It appears you've also done all I'd suggest for checking memory...both in different DIMM sockets and one at a time. Yet you're still getting a fail at RAM in POST.

DOA CPU's are so very rare, but things do point to it. If you swapped back in the 2700 and it boots right off I'd agree to go looking for an RMA, either to seller or AMD. And as Nighthawk suggests...at the time you swap the CPU's you can check for a bent pin. AMD won't RMA a bent/broken pin CPU.
My own suggestion is also a dead cpu even if I never experienced any in my life. I‘ll give it another try with a new 3800x and let you know. Hopefully this will fix it.

Mar 21, 2020
So I think I got something. When I turn on the PC with the 3800x and the RTX2070 plugged in all fans go full throttle. When I unplug the RTX the fans are on normal speed. Maybe the PSU is underpowered with 550W ?

So I think I got something. When I turn on the PC with the 3800x and the RTX2070 plugged in all fans go full throttle. When I unplug the RTX the fans are on normal speed. Maybe the PSU is underpowered with 550W ?
I'm not that sure of PSU's, but I do believe that a 550W Seasonic should be sufficient for the combination. Especially so since the 2070 isn't going to pull much power at all until you get booted up and pumping some pixels in a game or a GPU-Compute task. Nor the 3800X, for that matter, until you get the processor into 386 enhanced mode with an OS that's loading all 8 cores/16 threads.

Reactions: Makaveli

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
I also have an Asus ROG Strix B450-F that I had a 3700x installed in for a few weeks (it currently has a R5 2600 and my 3700x is in an Asus X470-F).
My advice is to remove your RAM and just put on stick in slot A2 (2nd from the CPU socket).
Then,
Clear CMOS using these steps:
Unplug the PC (PSU).
Then press the Power Button for at least 30 seconds.
Use a flat headed screwdriver to short the CLR CMOS (CLRTC) Jumper (Touch both jumper pins with the screwdriver) for at least 15 seconds.
Plug the PC back in.
Press the Power Button to turn the PC on.
Repeatedly tap the DEL key
A screen should come up telling you to press the F1 key, do that.
Set the Optimized Default settings and Press OK (this is on the EXIT tab)
Save and exit the BIOS.
Tap the DEL key again to enter the BIOS and change any settings you want changed then save and exit again.

You may need to clear the CMOS multiple times for it to take.

If that doesn't work I'd re-install the R7 2700 and set the BIOS to Optimized defaults and save and then re-flash BIOS version 3003.