No Power On Asrock Extreme4 [X99 chipset] Motherboard ! Help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

buddy101

Reputable
Oct 24, 2014
I have been pulling my hair over this for last couple of days. I am building a new desktop for work and here is what I have connected so far -

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master RR-T4-18PK-R1 70.0 CFM Rifle Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme4 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard
Memory: Ballistix DDR4 2400MHz UDIMM 16-16-16-39 8GB on 1 slot
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W-M 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

I have connected the 24pin power and 8-pin power to the mother board and yet when i turn on power nothing happens. I do not see a fan or no led (according to a youtube reviewer this one has a led, the manual does not mention the led !) on the board. No nothing.

I first suspected the power supply was bad. So went to central computers with the power supply I had (Corsair CX-500) and they used their power supply tester and tested the 24-pin connector - the 3.3v rail was orange (=bad). So I bought CX-500M which is modular and double the price thinking I could build this thing today and return the original supply back to newegg.

But even with the new power supply, nothing. Any one has any clues as to what might be going wrong here ?

buddy101

Reputable
Oct 24, 2014

Do you mean whether CPU cooler fan is connected to mother board ? If you are asking that, yes it is connected to CPU_FAN1 header. If not, let me know which header you are talking about. [The user manual can be found @ftp://66.226.78.21/manual/X99%20Extreme4.pdf]

I do not recognize a speaker sitting on this motherboard. Don't hear any beeps. As I said, no nothing. Nada.

buddy101

Reputable
Oct 24, 2014

DDR4_A1 - as advised by the user manual. The slot closest to io.

I have been combing through for an LED on the board and in the picture @http://imagebin.ca/v/1eu0aBmTWC5x
the yellow thingy to the south east of BIOS_A chip (with P1.40 on it) could be a LED. What does it look like to you ?

456gt

Reputable
Nov 4, 2014

I've the same problem with this motherboard. First i've i returned because i thought was wrong... but now i've a new one and i've the same problem.

elitis2

Reputable
Nov 4, 2014
I have exactly the same problem with similar configuration. The motherboard doesn't power on. I have contacted the Asrock techinical team and i got this response but it didn't help.

If you find a solution please let me know

We provide few ways for you to verify.
1.Please check whether your power supply installed correctly, if you have another power supply, please change it for try.
2.Please refer below link to clear CMOS and load BIOS default setting. http://download.asrock.com/manual/X99M%20Extreme4.pdf(see P.18 in user manual)
3.You can install necessary boot device(CPU, one memory, fan, power, VGA card) for narrowing problem.
4.Please check whether the pins bent in CPU socket.
5.Please remove the power button and boot up by short power button pin for try.
If the symptom still exist, please refer below link to contact local distributor for further physical check. http://www.asrock.com/general/buy.asp?Product=MB&Country=Spain

Thanks a lot !!
ASRock TSD

paelio

Reputable
Dec 29, 2014
have you solved this? I too am having similar issues.

asrock x99 extreme4, intel 5820k, h100i AIO water cooler, currently 1 stick of 4gb ddr4-2133.

MB powers on, all fans running, but no beeps, nothing on monitor. I tried with both a new MSI gtx970 and an old radeon hd 5750.

If I let it run for a minute or so it will restart on its own, which makes me think it is posting but the vid is not working. Any ideas?

nlheldt88

Reputable
Jan 4, 2015
I am having the same issue. I installed the board and it booted up and worked a couple times. The next day I powered it up and nothing at all. No lights, no beeps, no sign of life. Took power supply out and used it on another pc so thats not the issue. Tried above steps for testing and still nothing. Sent in an rma request but terrified after seeing people get another board that appears the same. I7 5930 asrock x99 extreme 4 h100i cooler evga 750 watt evga geforce 980 SC. Thanks. -nate

wakanwarrior

Reputable
Feb 24, 2015
I had the same problem, i plugged in the atx 24 pin connector. but i forgot to plug in the atx 12v power connector, so that prevented my mobo from powering on fully. i had no signal on display. When i plugged in atx 12v cable it worked fine. and the red light i assumed was the bios light, it starts up on boot up, but goes away on log in screen.

Uros Stemberger

Reputable
Jan 8, 2015
Hey guys, i have the same problems. At first i had problems with installing drivers for the GPU ( gtx 980- OC ) but i thought maybe its the ram, i'm using 4 x 8GB Crucial DDR4 and when i used only 2 everything worked. Then after installing the software and i decided to restart the computer to refresh it, it didn't come back to windows. i see nothing on the display, the bios led keeps shining and i see nothing on the display. tried reseating ram and the gpu, cpu + new paste, without and sata cables and so on... But nothing.

So i was thinking, do you think there is a problem in compatibility with Crucial 4x 8gb ram or the gpu?

Feb 15, 2015

Did you get it solved? Was it the Mobo Aux 12v connector unplugged?

res0urce

Reputable
Apr 10, 2015
I'm having the same issue as nlheldt88 with the same setup. The entire setup powered on with no visual display or beep. After waking up the next day the darn thing wouldn't turn on. I ran it over to best buy to do a PSU test and they said the PSU needed an RMA. I'll keep you posted on whether or not this resolves my issue.

blahhumbug

Reputable
Apr 15, 2015
I had a similar power on issue. It turns out that BIOS A on the motherboard got corrupted somehow so it was not booting. I also noticed that the Bios A chip was loose in its little socket (these chips aren't soldered in on this motherboard). With all the power off, I carefully pushed the chip into the socket more firmly.

There is a jumper on the motherboard to switch to the backup BIOS B, and after doing that I was able to boot. Once in the BIOS I was able to do a copy of bios B back on top of bios A. Then I switched the jumper back and was able to boot off of BIOS A again.

Alex554312

Reputable
Jun 11, 2015
I had the same issue. Right as I was about to take a baseball bat to the whole thing I decided to start over. What worked for me and my full customizable psu was to plug in the 24 power as normal but to only give it 4 pins on the 12v connector instead of all 8. Keep track of what you are inserting and make sure the ends are correct. Check the user manual for correct installation the 4 pins run along pins 1 and 5. New psu's will not give power to most any component until the motherboard is up first. That is why you are not seeing fans spin and thinking it is psu related. I hope this works and best of luck to you all.

Gryphon331

Reputable
Jul 25, 2015
I had this exact issue, turns out one of my sticks of ram was bad. I pulled out all of the ram except for 1 and voila, it booted fine.

Edit: Okay so, I was right, and wrong.

On this motherboard the Ram will feel like its in, and won't move, but it is not infact locked in on the side that has the lock that doesn't move.

You need to push it in so the moving lock clicks, and then push harder then you think on the opposite end. Just because it FEELs like its in, doesn't mean it actually is, push until the bottom end (without the moving lock) clicks loudly, then try it again.

I discovered this while I was slowly adding ram sticks waiting for an error.

hjklm1

Reputable
Sep 3, 2015
Thanks Gryphon331, that resolved the problem for me as well.
I heard a click when I put the ram in so I thought it was in, but apparently not :D
You need to push on both sides.

Sorry for digging up an old thread but I'm having the same issue. I'm going to try the bios b, 1 stick of RAM, etc and report back. If I get a fix I will post on this thread.

Mobo powers on but no display or post screen. I also question where all the freakin fan connections go for the Kraken x61 that I have installed although the main fans spin when I power on the machine.

Marcel_3

Reputable
Dec 10, 2015
Same issue here.
ASRock X99 Extreme4
i7 5820K
2 x Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4-2400 DIMM CL16-16-16
GTX 980 JetStream 4GB

Plugged all together. Inclusive the ATX 12V Slots (2x4).
Pushed the RAM Sticks hard in.

Connected power cable. Turned on. Nothing. No fans, no leds. Absolutely nothing.
PSU works fine with my old pc.

May not make a difference but try with just 1 ram stick, if it doesn't work then try the other stick by itself.

Also clear cmos before changing the RAM configuration.

Marcel_3

Reputable
Dec 10, 2015
Thanks for the quick answer!

I tried it with 1 RAM stick. Tried both sticks for its own.
And yes i cleared the cmos (by clicking the button at the back).

Tomorrow, i will try to buy another board and answer my results.

greets

Probably the most logical thing to try at this point. Although this board is highly rated it seems like users are getting a lot of duds if you do some general googling on the topic. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.