No PvP Mode in Diablo 3 at Launch, Says Blizzard

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MKBL

Splendid
Nov 17, 2011
At some point of playing Diablo 2, I suspected that many of those who just focused on attacking other players might be sadists. There is no point of killing other player in this franchise, as you want to defeat evils to progress in the world of Diablo. What can you get by killing the characters that are weaker than you. What loot? If you kill them, they are more likely devoid of worthy items for you.

maxinexus

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2007
I don't care about PvP but what I care about is how much longer do I have to wait? ... Hopefully April will bring it on...ohhhh miss those endless nights with D2 :D

mobrocket

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
[citation][nom]ryan74468426[/nom]my roomate's mom made $17558 the previous week. she is making an income on the internet and bought a $437600 home. All she did was get fortunate and use the information exposed on this website => LazyCash5.com[/citation]

is she hot?

averoth

Honorable
Feb 28, 2012
In Diablo I was a PKer and my guild was a hack/cheat guild (Cyric Dragon Knights!!!) I don't plan on cheating in Diablo 3 but in the first Diablo we gained ranks in our guild by turning in ears of players. So regardless of what level they were you still got an ear so many ears got you to the next rank. While I don't think Diablo 3's success is reliant on PVP I do think it adds another layer of run.

Eman25th

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
I dont think ill be buying Diablo 3, spent a many years playing D1 & D2, but the beta just didn't live up to D2 at all, felt like a dumbed down version that got thrown up on by WoW.

jaber2

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
Old news I have already decided it was a good move from Blizz, I wanted D3 out 1Q of this year, April 17th is still a good time for it to come out, it will be exactly one mo. after PoM beta announcement this month.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]tetracycloide[/nom]"Ironically enough, they say they are doing it so they don't punish players, yet the players that enjoy PvP are being punished."What you're saying doesn't make any sense. PvP isn't being delayed, it's just not ready. Releasing Solo and Co-op as soon as they're done and not waiting doesn't 'punish' anyone. Delaying their release wouldn't make PvP finish any faster.[/citation]
I disagree. In fact, if you look at World of Warcraft, it's likely going to punish everyone.

Look at WoW, they put PvP in after the fact and they have never balanced it. If they release D3 with the PvP cut because it's buggy, how do you think the fix will be when it's implemented? It will be to change classes. So in other words, even those who will never PvP will get their classes changed, and possibly gear nerfed, all for the sake of PvP balance.

If you read the November 2008 Warcry interview with Rob Pardo, he is asked what is the single biggest mistake they ever made to WoW. His answer was PvP, not because it was a bad idea, but because it was implemented after release and they never got the balance right and it consumes a lot of their time and has even cost content to be cut. Well, seems a bit of history is repeating itself with D3.

Of course PvP being cut just goes along with so many other things being cut from D3. Just really sad to see Blizzard no longer being Blizzard in this post merge era.

kyuuketsuki

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
[citation][nom]wildkitten[/nom]I disagree. In fact, if you look at World of Warcraft, it's likely going to punish everyone.Look at WoW, they put PvP in after the fact and they have never balanced it. If they release D3 with the PvP cut because it's buggy, how do you think the fix will be when it's implemented? It will be to change classes. So in other words, even those who will never PvP will get their classes changed, and possibly gear nerfed, all for the sake of PvP balance.If you read the November 2008 Warcry interview with Rob Pardo, he is asked what is the single biggest mistake they ever made to WoW. His answer was PvP, not because it was a bad idea, but because it was implemented after release and they never got the balance right and it consumes a lot of their time and has even cost content to be cut. Well, seems a bit of history is repeating itself with D3.Of course PvP being cut just goes along with so many other things being cut from D3. Just really sad to see Blizzard no longer being Blizzard in this post merge era.[/citation]WTF are you talking about. Unless they go back on their word, there will be *no* changes to skills to accommodate PvP balance, except as far as skill damage/effects being different against players than they are against mobs. Therefore, your entire comparison to WoW is irrelevant.

chumly

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
I have a beta account, and so far from what I can tell, this game is a major failure. The classes are not balanced, the skill systems are bad, loot isn't anywhere to be found, and cookie cutter builds are going to reign supreme. Not just that, but the gameplay is amazingly redundant, as well. I walk by the same characters more than once and its the same exact thing that happened before: they make the same noise that I've already heard 10,000 times before. The game is not exciting, it's booooooring; it moves slow! And here's the kicker, people are going to be cheating so much at this game that it's not going to be any fun at all. They are going to pay me real money to run an Auto-It bot on the same 4 spots in the game day in and day out. So am I going to cheat? Hell yes I'm going to cheat. Why would I want other people to have an unfair advantage? This game is Diablo 2 with no replay quality. Reskilling a character class takes 30 seconds, you're going to put every point exactly where it gives you the most damage, same as everyone else. D3 also has a garbage social system, nobody talks to one another! Nobody! There's nothing to discuss, and Battlenet's social system is broken! The auction house removes all in-game interaction. The only reason I've added a friend is so we can waypoint exploit and boss farm faster. Anyone wanna help me cheat? Lol. You guys should just save ur money on this turd.

toastytoy

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012

Agree 100% that is why DII was so fun

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]Kyuuketsuki[/nom]WTF are you talking about. Unless they go back on their word, there will be *no* changes to skills to accommodate PvP balance, except as far as skill damage/effects being different against players than they are against mobs. Therefore, your entire comparison to WoW is irrelevant.[/citation]
Ok, so explain how they will fix something if they don't, well, fix it? The reason the pulled it is because it's not balanced. They have said they are going to balance it and then put it in at a later time. This leaves two choices...

1)They will not add PvP in at all for D3. That however is unlikely because PvP will drive the RMAH sales more than PvE will and I don't see Bobby Kotick allowing the game not to have PvP

2)That yes, they indeed will touch skills. And not just skills but talents as well. This means people whether they PvP or not will end up feeling the effects of work on PvP.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]SaucyRMD[/nom]PvP was always such a broken part of Diablo as it was. Tweaking a game around PvP mechanics usually makes classes less unique, as things are brought in line to make each class less powerful against an opposing counter-class.... i.e. WoW Cataclysm. Cataclysm was the decline of WoW in my opinion, as hit points and mana scaled so largely that all abilities were brought in line across the board. Every class had sustain, every class had heals, etc. I prefer that a game like Diablo make the PvE the 'main' part of the game and let PvP fall in where it can. You are just left clicking or right clicking your mouse on a person after all, LaWLZ[/citation]
This. Although WoW was declining with PvP nerfs before Cata. PVP needs to be completely separate from PvE, allowing both to balance by themselves. There was nothing more annoying in WoW than having my mage changed again and again because someone got pwned in pvp and whined about it.

furylicious

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Lol, apparently it's completely okay for a company to promise PvP and then basically take that away for who knows how long? But that's okay, Blizzardatics will just sign on with any Blizzard game blindly. Remember what they said about the auction house, that it was going to be used with real money? lol... It makes me wonder if anyone has played any other MMOs that were released broken or unfinished. They go downhill pretty quickly, Warhammer, Aion, AoC, DC Universe Online, just to name a few. If PvP is going to be such an issue with people, then don't bother releasing it, or just keep your mouth shut and surprise us later. People that DO enjoy PvP get shunned again, apparently I spoke out of place.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
The real money auction house bugs me much more than the lack of PVP at launch. PVP on Diablo 2 was fun at times when messing around with friends but it certainly isn't required at all for a Diablo game.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Tomfreak[/nom]Not sure if I would bother Diablo 3, but Torchlight 2 seems pretty good as Diablo 3 alternative and it is only $20. Playing Torchlight 1 now, very enjoying.[/citation]

except new game + in that game sucks... that said i loved the game

techy74

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
Just looking forward to playing it. Play it while the wow servers are down. Personally, if i want PVP i will play COD or something.

aidynphoenix

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
ok, im ready to play now,,, would it be better to preorder, or wait in line for 14hours outside gamestop or some other store? if i preorder when is it delivered? days after its released or on the day of release?

Nightsilver

Distinguished
May 4, 2007
[citation][nom]SaucyRMD[/nom]PvP was always such a broken part of Diablo as it was. Tweaking a game around PvP mechanics usually makes classes less unique, as things are brought in line to make each class less powerful against an opposing counter-class.... i.e. WoW Cataclysm. Cataclysm was the decline of WoW in my opinion, as hit points and mana scaled so largely that all abilities were brought in line across the board. Every class had sustain, every class had heals, etc. I prefer that a game like Diablo make the PvE the 'main' part of the game and let PvP fall in where it can. You are just left clicking or right clicking your mouse on a person after all, LaWLZ[/citation]

This guy's a clicker. "LaWLZ".

Status
Not open for further replies.