[SOLVED] No Signal after installing RTX 3080 graphics card ?

patsfan56

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2010
I intermittently lose SIGNAL after I installed my MSI RTX 3080 Gaming Trio Z graphics card. Prior to installation, I uninstalled the Nvidia driver using DDU in Safe Mode using my onboard graphics. I have an ASUS Z490-Plus Wi-Fi Motherboard and an i9-10900K CPU. I never lose signal using onboard graphics. I switched the Monitor and DisplayPort cable and the problem only occurs when the graphics card is installed. I have an Apevia 1000watt Gold 80 Plus Power Supply. I realize it is not the best PS available.

I am not using three separate 8-pin power cables. I am daisy chaining the third 8-pin cable. When I finally got a display, I installed the latest Nvidia driver but lost signal again and had to restart my PC. When I got the signal back, I switched the Nvidia Control Panel power setting from Normal to High Performance. My GPU clock speed and memory jumped way up. My clock speed is now at 1830Mhz (boost). Since I made this change, I haven't lost signal but I know changing Nvidia settings did not solve the problem and I am sure losing signal will reoccur.

Any idea what is causing my signal loss problem?

Specs:

MB: ASUS Z490-Plus Wi-Fi
GPU: MSI RTX 3080 Gaming Trio Z
CPU: i9-10900K
PSU: Apevia 1000watt Gold 80 Plus

Thanks!

Solution
You didn’t say what Apevia PSU model. The first Apevia model on the Toms tier list is a low priority tier C with the next being a low priority tier D. With a 3080 you want a top quality psu, nothing less than tier A and even the be careful and look at the footnotes as even some tier A’s have issues with these very power spikey gpu’s.

You didn’t say what Apevia PSU model. The first Apevia model on the Toms tier list is a low priority tier C with the next being a low priority tier D. With a 3080 you want a top quality psu, nothing less than tier A and even the be careful and look at the footnotes as even some tier A’s have issues with these very power spikey gpu’s.

Solution
I intermittently lose SIGNAL after I installed my MSI RTX 3080 Gaming Trio Z graphics card. Prior to installation, I uninstalled the Nvidia driver using DDU in Safe Mode using my onboard graphics. I have an ASUS Z490-Plus Wi-Fi Motherboard and an i9-10900K CPU. I never lose signal using onboard graphics. I switched the Monitor and DisplayPort cable and the problem only occurs when the graphics card is installed. I have an Apevia 1000watt Gold 80 Plus Power Supply. I realize it is not the best PS available.

I am not using three separate 8-pin power cables. I am daisy chaining the third 8-pin cable. When I finally got a display, I installed the latest Nvidia driver but lost signal again and had to restart my PC. When I got the signal back, I switched the Nvidia Control Panel power setting from Normal to High Performance. My GPU clock speed and memory jumped way up. My clock speed is now at 1830Mhz (boost). Since I made this change, I haven't lost signal but I know changing Nvidia settings did not solve the problem and I am sure losing signal will reoccur.

Any idea what is causing my signal loss problem?

Specs:

MB: ASUS Z490-Plus Wi-Fi
GPU: MSI RTX 3080 Gaming Trio Z
CPU: i9-10900K
PSU: Apevia 1000watt Gold 80 Plus

Thanks!
Even though your PSU is suspect, you still should be able to work in the desktop environment without issues. What was the GPU you replaced (or were you just using onboard graphics)?
Did you get this GPU new, at retail? Do you have any other GPU you could test in the system?

Reactions: Phaaze88 and RodroX

patsfan56

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2010

CyberPowerPC built this computer. It is listed as an Apevia 1000 watt Gold 80 Plus power supply.

patsfan56

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2010
Even though your PSU is suspect, you still should be able to work in the desktop environment without issues. What was the GPU you replaced (or were you just using onboard graphics)?
Did you get this GPU new, at retail? Do you have any other GPU you could test in the system?
The GPU I replaced was an MSI RTX 3080 Gaming Trio X 10GB. The GPU I replaced was brand new. I do have another GPU. I'll test it in this system. Thanks!

patsfan56

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2010
While I was playing a game, I lost signal. and noticed my graphic card fans stopped spinning. When I jiggled the power cable the fans started spinning again. When I reset my computer my signal came back. It looks like I need to replace the power cables. Could it be something else? Power supply?

DSzymborski

Titan
While I was playing a game, I lost signal. and noticed my graphic card fans stopped spinning. When I jiggled the power cable the fans started spinning again. When I reset my computer my signal came back. It looks like I need to replace the power cables. Could it be something else? Power supply?

As has already noted, Apevia sells very low quality PSUs and you should only be using a high quality PSU with an RTX 3080. 3080s and 3090s have had trouble on otherwise good PSUs, let alone PSUs from a company notorious for cutting corners with the cheapest parts from third-tier manufacturers they can find.

You should never be jiggling power cables while a PC is running.

Reactions: dotas1

patsfan56

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2010
As has already noted, Apevia sells very low quality PSUs and you should only be using a high quality PSU with an RTX 3080. 3080s and 3090s have had trouble on otherwise good PSUs, let alone PSUs from a company notorious for cutting corners with the cheapest parts from third-tier manufacturers they can find.

You should never be jiggling power cables while a PC is running.
Thanks for the response. Your point is well taken. I'm going to replace the power supply (and power cables) and hopefully that will fix it once and for all. I've been living with this problem for 6 months now. It's been very annoying.

DSzymborski

Titan
Thanks for the response. Your point is well taken. I'm going to replace the power supply (and power cables) and hopefully that will fix it once and for all. I've been living with this problem for 6 months now. It's been very annoying.

Make sure to only use power cables that either come with the PSU or are verified to work for exactly the model of PSU. Pinouts on the side of cables that plug into the PSU are not universal and we've had people use wrong power cables and fry their components.

patsfan56

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2010
I had the power supply tested and it checked out ok. It turns out the PCIe slot on the Motherboard was defective/damaged. I replaced the Mobo and so far everything works fine. I ran benchmark tests and have not lost signal. If anything changes, I will advise. Thanks everyone for your help and and for the timely responses.