[SOLVED] No signal after upgrading to an RTX 2060, and reverting to old GPU doesn't work either ?

Aug 1, 2022
Hello.
I got an RTX 2060 recently to replace my GTX 1050, and in preparation for the upgrade, I read an online tutorial which said to uninstall my NVIDIA graphics drivers before upgrading. After doing so by uninstalling the program from "Add or remove programs" in Windows, I checked Device Manager to find that there was a device called NVIDIA GTX 1050. I uninstalled that too, and turned off the computer, unplugged, etc. to replace the card.

After installing the new card, with the power cables correctly inserted, I turned the computer on and the monitor gave a "No Signal" message. I have a Ryzen 5 3600 so I cannot use the iGPU to check BIOS, Device Manager etc., which is what every online tutorial about a black screen says to do. It seemed like the fans were running at 100% speed as if the 8-pin power supply wasn't plugged in, but after checking the power connections with the PSU and the 2060 I couldn't find a place where the power was disconnected from the GPU.

What's more, after reinstalling my 1050 to try and get the monitor working again, I have the same problem, and I know it can't be the PCIe power cables this time because my 1050 doesn't need any.

What could possibly be causing this issue?

Ryzen 5 3600
Asus PRIME B550M-A (WIFI)
16 GB DDR4 3000 RAM
500 GB SSD
GTX 1050/EVGA RTX 2060 Single Fan
500W PSU (Thermaltake Smart 500W)

Solution
Hello.
I got an RTX 2060 recently to replace my GTX 1050, and in preparation for the upgrade, I read an online tutorial which said to uninstall my NVIDIA graphics drivers before upgrading. After doing so by uninstalling the program from "Add or remove programs" in Windows, I checked Device Manager to find that there was a device called NVIDIA GTX 1050. I uninstalled that too, and turned off the computer, unplugged, etc. to replace the card.

After installing the new card, with the power cables correctly inserted, I turned the computer on and the monitor gave a "No Signal" message. I have a Ryzen 5 3600 so I cannot use the iGPU to check BIOS, Device Manager etc., which is what every online tutorial about a black screen says to do. It...

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
question. Is that RTX 2060, brand new? Or is it a second hand gpu?

if it's Nvidia to nvidia, you don't need to uninstall anything. For example, upgraded my new pc from GT 1030 to RTX 3050. Removed the 1030 while power is turned off, slot in the 3050 and connect to psu, connect monitor to 3050. On boot, install drivers for 3050. And done, no errors. ---- pretty much did the same thing on my two other older pc's, 1030 to 1050ti... 1030 to 1650. No errors. did not need to use ddu. The only time I uninstalled drivers prior to installing a new one is when I was upgrading an old pc from HD5450 (AMD) to GT 1030 (Nvidia).

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2022
question. Is that RTX 2060, brand new? Or is it a second hand gpu?
It is a brand new GPU.

if it's Nvidia to nvidia, you don't need to uninstall anything.
I understand that now, however, the drivers are already uninstalled, and I am at a phase where I cannot reinstall them, nor can I get any display on my monitor. I need help making my computer display anything at all right now.

HeartOfAdel

Commendable
Apr 7, 2021
Hello.

After installing the new card, with the power cables correctly inserted, I turned the computer on and the monitor gave a "No Signal" message. I have a Ryzen 5 3600 so I cannot use the iGPU to check BIOS, Device Manager etc., which is what every online tutorial about a black screen says to do. It seemed like the fans were running at 100% speed as if the 8-pin power supply wasn't plugged in, but after checking the power connections with the PSU and the 2060 I couldn't find a place where the power was disconnected from the GPU.

What's more, after reinstalling my 1050 to try and get the monitor working again, I have the same problem, and I know it can't be the PCIe power cables this time because my 1050 doesn't need any.

What could possibly be causing this issue?

Ryzen 5 3600
Asus PRIME B550M-A (WIFI)
16 GB DDR4 3000 RAM
500 GB SSD
GTX 1050/EVGA RTX 2060 Single Fan
500W PSU (Thermaltake Smart 500W)
I don't know if that can help, but try to reset your cmos battery and using other pcie slots for the gpu.

Reactions: Tac 25
Solution