[SOLVED] No signal from GPU or Motherboard

Dec 12, 2019
Hi guys,

A few months ago I built myself a new computer, the specs are:
Processor: I7-9700k
Ram: 16gb
Gpu: Rtx 2080ti
Mono: Asus Strix Z370-e gaming

Recently I was building another pc and put an old graphics card of mine in it. It wasn't displaying an image, so I took the 2080ti out of my machine and put the old graphics card into it. There was still no image so I chalked the graphics card up to being faulty.

Here's where the issue begins. I put my 2080ti back into the computer and switched it on.. the fans were going insane, it sounded like they were going full speed but there was no image on the screen. So I switched it off and removed the card to avoid any damage to it.

I then tried to boot the pc up with the integrated graphics through the motherboard but again no image.. obviously with the image not being on the screen I cannot access the bios.

So I removed the battery for 10 minutes in hopes that it would reset the CMOS.. still nothing. So I shorted the clrtc pins.. still nothing.

I have reseated the graphics card multiple times and did not touch any other component.

What has this old graphics card done to my computer and does anyone know how to fix it?

Thanks in advance

Dec 12, 2019
Sorry the motherboard is a Strix z390-e gaming.
The PSU is EVGA GQ 850w
And I have tried both display port and hdmi to two different monitors on both the motherboard and graphics card

Try this.
Step 1- power off computer.
Step 2- flip power switch (on back of pc) to off.
Step 3- unplug pc power cord from wall and then replug power cord back into wall.
Step 4- flip switch back to the on position and then turn the computer back on.

Dec 12, 2019
Try this.
Step 1- power off computer.
Step 2- flip power switch (on back of pc) to off.
Step 3- unplug pc power cord from wall and then replug power cord back into wall.
Step 4- flip switch back to the on position and then turn the computer back on.
Tried this one before but did it again just in case, still no image and GPU fans still going insane

Dec 12, 2019
You didn't forget to plug the power connectors on the GPU either? Asking to be sure.

I guess you will have to test that GPU in another system to make sure it works correctly.
Yep it's all plugged in! I at first thought that the GPU could be the problem, however that wouldn't explain why the integrated graphics aren't working either

Dec 12, 2019
You didn't forget to plug the power connectors on the GPU either? Asking to be sure.

I guess you will have to test that GPU in another system to make sure it works correctly. If it does it might be your PCI-E slot on the board. Did you try another PCI-E slot?
Also yes I did try it in another pci-e slot, same as before

Did you reset the main and aux power cables?
Unplug everything else just to get it to boot (extra USB headers, sound headers, lights, etc)?
And while removing the battery for a period can clear the CMOS, the clear CMOS jumper is much simpler (page 1-9 of the manual).

Dec 12, 2019
Try to reseat the cpu,
I will try this if there's no other fixes available (I'm not fantastic at building pcs and would rather have an expert come to do it).

Did you reset the main and aux power cables?
Unplug everything else just to get it to boot (extra USB headers, sound headers, lights, etc)?
And while removing the battery for a period can clear the CMOS, the clear CMOS jumper is much simpler (page 1-9 of the manual).
I have done yes, restarted everything I can think of butI I'll begin unplugging bits!
I have done the CMOS and the battery, either I'm doing it wrong or resetting it isn't doing anything.

Dec 12, 2019
Try different power supply, if possible. if still the same, I would RMA both board and CPU.
See the computer ran perfectly for months before I put this old graphics card in, it seems a bit unlikely that it would damage the cpu? Definitely seems like the board to me so I might have to look into getting a new one

YoFavRussian

Honorable
Nov 4, 2014
Yep, with both hdmi and display port, both with the graphics card out and in
Wow, that is quite a stumper, when doing a CMOS reset you unplugged everything from the I/O right? I had display port continue to power my board when doing a CMOS reset one time. Confused me until I unplugged everything until the light on the board went out.

Dec 12, 2019
Wow, that is quite a stumper, when doing a CMOS reset you unplugged everything from the I/O right? I had display port continue to power my board when doing a CMOS reset one time. Confused me until I unplugged everything until the light on the board went out.
The first time I didn't but looking up why it didn't work I realised I needed to take them out. Made sure there was nothing in there and did it again. Held the power button to drain any left over power and left the battery out for 10 minutes in hopes that it would reset!

thomas4204

Reputable
Dec 24, 2018
I will try this if there's no other fixes available (I'm not fantastic at building pcs and would rather have an expert come to do it).

I have done yes, restarted everything I can think of butI I'll begin unplugging bits!
I have done the CMOS and the battery, either I'm doing it wrong or resetting it isn't doing anything.
All it is is taking the same cpu out and putting it back in. It is really simple. Even somebody that didn’t know how to build one could do it. This works every time for me.