Question No signal from PC after changing PSU

Mar 2, 2021
So I've installed new PSU. When I turn on the PC all fans start spinning, including GPU. But the monitor gets no signal, I've tried different cables, both HDMI and DP, tried plugging into different ports, no result.

I've tried booting with each ram stick separately, in case of them at fault. Still no signal.

Before that I've noticed I forgot to plug the CPU cabel into PSU, I fixed that but still no signal on the monitor when I turn on the PC.

Ive tried connecting a different monitor but with the same results.

My primary suspect is the GPU, since I'm not sure how the plastic lock thing on the Mobo's pci-e slot is supposed to be. Do you have to force it until it clicks when installing the GPU? in my case its just dangling back and forth freely.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Let's get full specs, including both before and after PSU. The lock shouldn't be moving freely; it's likely your GPU is seated incorrectly. And when you replaced the PSU, did you also make sure to use only PSU cables that came with the new PSU? And was there a prior issue that is the reason that the PSU was changed? The quality of advice is generally proportional to the quality of information provided.

Reactions: MelonHusk
Mar 2, 2021
Let's get full specs, including both before and after PSU. The lock shouldn't be moving freely; it's likely your GPU is seated incorrectly. And when you replaced the PSU, did you also make sure to use only PSU cables that came with the new PSU? And was there a prior issue that is the reason that the PSU was changed? The quality of advice is generally proportional to the quality of information provided.

The new PSU is Seasonic Focus gx550. The old PSU is Antec tp3-550. Ive used only the new cables provided with the new PSU.

My hard drives failed in a couple of months of use and SSD eventually became read only and PC was booting for around 10 mins every time. So I suspected the old used PSU I've got with a prebuilt PC was damaging my parts. The GPU worked the last time I used the PC with the old PSU.

The GPU is rx480, I've used one 6+2 cable to power it. And CPU is ryzen5 1500, I used 4+4 cable but only 4 pins.

Sorry, Im not sure what details are relevant and which aren't.

And the mobo is Asus prime a320m-k

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
The new PSU is Seasonic Focus gx550. The old PSU is Antec tp3-550. Ive used only the new cables provided with the new PSU.

My hard drives failed in a couple of months of use and SSD eventually became read only and PC was booting for around 10 mins every time. So I suspected the old used PSU I've got with a prebuilt PC was damaging my parts. The GPU worked the last time I used the PC with the old PSU.

The GPU is rx480, I've used one 6+2 cable to power it. And CPU is ryzen5 1500, I used 4+4 cable but only 4 pins.

Sorry, Im not sure what details are relevant and which aren't.

And the mobo is Asus prime a320m-k

Will it still power up with the old PSU? The old one is fairly low quality, but it would be nice if we could rule out simply a DOA new PSU. And as I said before, I'm not sure you have your GPU seated correctly, though it's possible the lock could just be broken.

Mar 2, 2021
Will it still power up with the old PSU? The old one is fairly low quality, but it would be nice if we could rule out simply a DOA new PSU. And as I said before, I'm not sure you have your GPU seated correctly, though it's possible the lock could just be broken.
The last time I booted up with the old PSU no problem, the problems were with the storage that went bad. The SSD went bad, saving a Photoshop file took me around 10-15 mins. And basically everything else was really slow, even opening folders and such.

I'll try reinstalling the GPU and closing that lock. I wasn't sure if it's safe to force it until it clicks.

Also, the 24pin cable is pressing on GPU from the side a little, could that be a problem? Seasonic's cables are pretty hard to bend and I have a small case.