[SOLVED] No signal from video card

noobcpujunky

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2013
Hey all! I just had an issue with my pc to where it was randomly shutting down. Nothing but the northridge heatsinks on my mobo served to be heating up and the parts are old. FX 8320 old. So, upgrade to Ryzen 5600x happens and I install my RX 480 8gb card. There's absolutely no signal now. No post, no boot. Completely blank. So I try moving the cable from port to port. The monitor recognizes that the DVI cable is plugged into something. Still no video signal. Try the HDMI port, nothing. So... Now what? It's a dead card, right?
We're do I go to buy a card now that's going to run WoW and some of the more popular titles?

Last edited by a moderator:

noobcpujunky

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2013
As it sits right now:
Ryzen 5 5600x
Asus Prime B550-A motherboard
G Skill DDR4 3200 Ripjaws 2x16
Powerspec 650w 80+ Bronze Semi Modular
XFX RX 480 8gb RS (I think, it's the best buy model)

The old system where the problem started:
FX 8320
Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3
G Skill ram
EVGA 550 Bronze 80+
XFX RX 480 8gb

noobcpujunky

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2013
The manual says it's generation 3 ready. 5600x is gen 3, right? I'm really out of touch with tech right now. Ok, I guess it's the 5th generation as noted by the dang 5. I'll take it back to microcenter and have it flashed. Thank you for the answer.

Last edited:

noobcpujunky

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2013
take it to a shop. contact asrock or amd for a loaner cpu
Hey, I just came back to this. I'm going to take it to, somewhere. Maybe a local shop. Lots of them have been keeping strange hours and I'm pretty much stuck at home most business hours. But, I had a question about your comment. Does asrock specifically offer loaner chips? AMD will as well? I hadn't even considered that.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Well, regardless, I get no video so I can't tell what bios revision is on the board and the world seems to be screwed over by scalpers, miners and supply. Expensive paper weight.

Did you look at the board itself? ASUS boards, for example, typically have a barcode sticker on the motherboard somewhere; the last four digits are the BIOS it shipped with. I just checked my Crosshair VIII and I see a sticker with the original BIOS right near the SATA ports.

Reactions: noobcpujunky

noobcpujunky

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2013
Did you look at the board itself? ASUS boards, for example, typically have a barcode sticker on the motherboard somewhere; the last four digits are the BIOS it shipped with. I just checked my Crosshair VIII and I see a sticker with the original BIOS right near the SATA ports.
I had been looking for one. There's one sticker on the board and it's on the larger power connector brick, seated behind the optical drives.

The manual says it's generation 3 ready. 5600x is gen 3, right? I'm really out of touch with tech right now. Ok, I guess it's the 5th generation as noted by the dang 5. I'll take it back to microcenter and have it flashed. Thank you for the answer.

Generation 3 is Ryzen 3xxx series.....

AMD Zen Desktop CPUs with no integrated GPU:

Zen ---> Ryzen 1xxx --- 1st gen
Zen+ ---> Ryzen 2xxx --- 2nd gen
Zen 2 ---> Ryzen 3xxx --- 3rd gen
Zen 3 ---> Ryzen 5xxx --- 4th gen

Theres a lot of missinformation about this soo dont worry too much about it.

noobcpujunky

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2013
Generation 3 is Ryzen 3xxx series.....

AMD Zen Desktop CPUs with no integrated GPU:

Zen ---> Ryzen 1xxx --- 1st gen
Zen+ ---> Ryzen 2xxx --- 2nd gen
Zen 2 ---> Ryzen 3xxx --- 3rd gen
Zen 3 ---> Ryzen 5xxx --- 4th gen

Theres a lot of missinformation about this soo dont worry too much about it.
Thank you, very much. I'm quite confused these days lol! I always feel like a noob when it comes to parts and what's what.

Reactions: RodroX

noobcpujunky

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2013
I called a local shop and got an answer today. They're open kind late so I should be able to get there before they close. They'll test my video card for free and do the bios flash for 40 dollars. I'm hoping that's all it is.
Browsing ebay and looking at video cards I feel like I'm in Fallout scavenging parts.

Oh! I looked up info on the AMD loaner chips. That's really awesome that they will help out like that. Kind of a rough patch but hey it'll do it huh?

mmm Im not quite sure the loaner chip program will work for your curent cpu and motherboard... but I hope it does, make sure the chip they give you is supported on your mobo: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/All-series/PRIME-B550M-A/HelpDesk_CPU/

Did you got your cpu and mobo on Microcenter?, Did you asked there if they do the update for free?

noobcpujunky

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2013
I finally made it back into microcenter. They flashed the bios with two hours left until the store closed. Video card is a ok! I picked up a western digital m.2 black 2210 500g for $70 us with protection while I waited. When I read the specs on the read/write transfer, while holding the box, my jaw dropped and there was no maybe about buying that lol!
Win 10 is resetting now. Hopefully after that I'm good to go and off running once the kids are asleep. Thanks for all your help hardware fans! I learned a lot of things from this thread.

Reactions: RodroX

noobcpujunky

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2013
Did you got your cpu and mobo on Microcenter?, Did you asked there if they do the update for free?

Just to add, because I forgot to, microcenter did not offer a free flash on the new generation. Tech manager dude said that's not something they were ever told to offer. It was 29.99 +tax. The neighborhood shop charged 45.
When I looked up the loaner chips, the top result refers to an APU bring the reason the chips are on offer. I thought that may be worth mentioning, since you mentioned compatibility. I didn't delve very far. I decided to get it over with and face the choice of video card or no card.

Just to add, because I forgot to, microcenter did not offer a free flash on the new generation. Tech manager dude said that's not something they were ever told to offer. It was 29.99 +tax. The neighborhood shop charged 45.
When I looked up the loaner chips, the top result refers to an APU bring the reason the chips are on offer. I thought that may be worth mentioning, since you mentioned compatibility. I didn't delve very far. I decided to get it over with and face the choice of video card or no card.

Well I was not sure about it... but Im glad you got it working. Wow +$30 for a BIOS update. Where I live (Ciudad de Buenos Aires - Argentina) the guys in most (if nto all) PC shops upgrade your BIOS for free. If they don't you just turn around and go buy the parts to the shop next door lol. But I know is not the same situation on other cities in my country.

TRENDING THREADS