No SLI option in Nvidia Control Panel

MrR3N3

Reputable
May 11, 2014
I recently received a new GPU which is a GTX 760 2gb. I decided to install this second card and run it in SLI with my current GPU which is a GTX 760 4gb. After installing the 2nd card I went to the Nvidia control panel but the activate SLI option was not available to me even though both cards are detected by the Nvidia control panel. I am reading mixed answers to this problem, some saying different Vram will not work in SLI, others saying that it will work on the lowest common denominator and I have also heard that if your PSU is not powerful enough then it may cause this problem. I have tried reinstalling drivers and reseating the GPUs however it has not worked.

note: when i switched the GPUs in the PCI slots, one GPU was not detected

My PC specs are:
Intel extreme KDZ77RE-75K
Intel i5-3750K
G.Skill Ripjaws-X 8gb DDR3
Thermaltake 700w PSU
GTX 760 OC 4gb
GTX 760 2 gb

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Solution
I found this quote ,
The SLI will not work if both GPUs have different vRAM amounts. For example, attempting to SLI a GTX 680 4 GB with a GTX 680 2 GB will impair the 2 GB GPU and only the primary GPU will be active. The SLI will only work if the second GPU is also a 4 GB variant.
i also hear as you have that will work on the lowest common denominator but in my experience i have never personally seen two different vram cards working in sli or proof of this , i have set up dozens of sli rigs but only ever with same gpu and vram
Perhaps another card might solve this

MrR3N3

Reputable
May 11, 2014

hey thanks for replying, um yes both GPUs are recognized when on their own in the first PCIE slot

this has happened to me on numerous occasions
try uninstalling anything nvidia then reinstall the latest drivers for your card
i have installed drivers and the option for sli is not there in the nvidia control panel
after uninstalling all nvidia and reinstalling the option is there , not saying this is your problem but may be worth a try

MrR3N3

Reputable
May 11, 2014

So delete the entire the Nvidia file in my HDD?

MrR3N3

Reputable
May 11, 2014

well i deleted the Nvidia files sorry i didnt see your edit there, i did use the uninstall programs app. After putting both GPUs in the PC and downloading the latest Driver there is still no SLI option.

MrR3N3

Reputable
May 11, 2014

There are no updates for Nvidia in Windows Update. Even though there is no SLI activation I still have noticed an improvement in my games. I can now run the games I play on the highest settings which i thought was wierd. Is there anyway around the memory problem? or will i just have to purchase the same size GPU?

I found this quote ,
The SLI will not work if both GPUs have different vRAM amounts. For example, attempting to SLI a GTX 680 4 GB with a GTX 680 2 GB will impair the 2 GB GPU and only the primary GPU will be active. The SLI will only work if the second GPU is also a 4 GB variant.
i also hear as you have that will work on the lowest common denominator but in my experience i have never personally seen two different vram cards working in sli or proof of this , i have set up dozens of sli rigs but only ever with same gpu and vram
Perhaps another card might solve this

Solution

MrR3N3

Reputable
May 11, 2014

alright then thanks man, I didn't expect someone to help me out so quickly.