[SOLVED] No sound after cleaning and replacing GPU

Jan 22, 2021
Hi all,

Im fairly new to pc builds and recently inherited a 5yr old custom build and it was working pretty well. I use the DisplayPort connection for my monitor and sound and everything has worked fine.

Today I removed the GPU to clean and replace thermal paste and when I put it back together the MSI 970 motherboard beeped twice and booted up. Everything seemed fine except there was no sound. When I boot up the computer now there is no beeps.

I back tracked and reinstalled the GPU, all connections seem good but still no sound.

The weird thing is within sound settings on windows 10, the sound bar is moving when I'm playing something appearing that it is in fact recognising the sound but just not outputting to monitor.

Plugging in headphone jack works fine. Nvidia driver is up to date.

I'm wondering if I've somehow blown something? Hopefully someone may be able to shed some light?

SPECS:
CPU: AMD FX-8350
MB: MSI 970 gaming
GPU: GeForce GTX 760
Ram: 8gb
250gb SSD

Thanks in advance

Solution
Are you using the sound chip that is on the motherboard? If so go to the Search box in the lower left of the screen and type Sound Settings, then select "Manage Output Devices", make sure everything is correct.

You can also type Sound Settings --> Manage Output Devices --> Manage Sound Devices --> Output devices

Disable any sound output that you are not using, including Nvidia high Definition Audio.
Jan 22, 2021
Thanks for the reply!

All seems well on that front, unfortunately.

The concern is that it was all operating fine, so presumably all drivers, bios etc were/are correct. Latest Nvidia drivers also installed for card.

The support for MSI 970 is basically non existent so can't even find beep codes - or even send a support ticket.

Are you using the sound chip that is on the motherboard? If so go to the Search box in the lower left of the screen and type Sound Settings, then select "Manage Output Devices", make sure everything is correct.

You can also type Sound Settings --> Manage Output Devices --> Manage Sound Devices --> Output devices

Disable any sound output that you are not using, including Nvidia high Definition Audio.

Reactions: AntonyLovric
Solution