No sound after Graphics Card installation

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kodyparker

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013
It appears that I have no sound after upgrading my Graphics card from an AMD to a Nvidia GTX 760. There is no option on bios to disable onboard high def audio, and Realtek will not install back onto my computer? Any help would be appreciated.

Solution
I assumed you were running WIN 7 so I could be wrong on those directions.
Try uninstalling the Realtek drivers and then re-installing them.
This should set them back as the default sound device.

Montog

Commendable
Sep 17, 2016

I had a similar situation after the recent update from Gforce Experience (Sept/2016) - ended up - UNINSTALLING the sound driver from Nvdia - and *knocking on head twice* appears to have corrected issue - the video driver is unaffected by this action.

noms

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2009

That is the problem I just hit last night when I swapped in a Radeon to serve my wife's HP Vista desktop with a broken VGA connector from the onboard Nvidia graphics.

For the whole night I thought there were conflicts between the drivers. This morning when I checked the BIOS the 3rd time, I finally found an onboard sound option. It was set to Auto. When the graphic preference is set to onboard, the speakers work. When the graphic preference is set to PCI-E, the onboard sound disappears completely from the device manager. Sound would come out from the TV, but no mic for skype.

Setting onboard sound option to on, fixes the issue. Then I have sound devices from both onboard and Radeon (HDMI) when the graphic preference is set to PCI-E. I got my mic back. I wasted a dollar though, in ordering an USB sound card online when I could not get it to work late late last night. :)

Check if other devices (like mic, line in under recording) still exist. If not, It is likely the BIOS.

Good luck.

HowNow

Commendable
Sep 23, 2016
Running Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Ran the latest nvidia drivers released on 21 September 2016
Lost sound after installing
---
Right clicked sound icon in the task bar, my play back default had changed to my Monitor(go figure?) which doesnt have sound. Changed it back to my speakers, working once again.

simple fix, but rather stupid for the nvidia drivers to change that setting on its own.

Nanakji

Honorable
Sep 15, 2016
I had the same problem:
Real Tek Audio Drivers which come with a Gigabit MOBO
Installed brand new EVGA GTX 960 2gb with latest drivers

This thread gave me the hint about Nvidia taking the HDMI card sound as the MAIN. The problem was that at the regular control panel there is no way for me to revert again over other sound inputs (front audio jack, etc.).
So I went to the Real Tek "Admnistration Tool" which cames by default with this MOBO (see image here: http://imgur.com/a/3s1Z5 ) and I saw there is a function that reads: "Advanced Device Configuration", when you click it it has 4 options, the one you want is the one which reads (excuse my poor translation): "Make the front and back output devices reproduce two different audio sequences at the same time".
So that made the sound come back 100% for me. n
My sound devices look like this: http://imgur.com/a/AkKHg (I have DFX software for improving some aspects of the sound quality to your taste, that's why it is also ticked as green). Before making this change the legend of the Real Tek output was not "2nd output" but now seems that Nvidia has relegated it to a 2nd place lol!

Hope someone find this helpful because I'm to grateful to this forum because it has helped me with really tough decisions and serious issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.