Question No sound from speakers and headphones. How to fix it?.

hexer11

Reputable
May 6, 2017
Hello. Today I replaced my GPU thermal paste and after plugging the GPU back there was no sound after starting my PC. It was working fine before I changed the thermal paste.

When I play music I can see it's working on the side bar but there is no sound from speakers or headphones. I've tried different speakers too, same result. I've tried almost everything - tried to update the drivers, tried disabling and enabling on device maneger, tried different usb ports, tried restarting windows audio service, tried every suggestion I found online but nothing helped. I also tried installing realtek, but it keeps asking me after every reboot to install it again. I would really appreciate it if someone can help me. Thank you in advance!

Would help if you listed some details about the computer, what do the USB ports have to do with the audio? Are you using an external sound card? Did you check the default audio settings to make sure the right ones are playing? Maybe it's set to use HDMI from the video card and not the sound card. When you installed the sound card drivers did you get them directly from the motherboard vendor support site? Maybe you damaged some connector when you were working on the video card.

hexer11

Reputable
May 6, 2017
Would help if you listed some details about the computer, what do the USB ports have to do with the audio? Are you using an external sound card? Did you check the default audio settings to make sure the right ones are playing? Maybe it's set to use HDMI from the video card and not the sound card. When you installed the sound card drivers did you get them directly from the motherboard vendor support site? Maybe you damaged some connector when you were working on the video card.

The speakers are with usb and jack connector, so I've tried switching the usb ports in case one was faulty. I'm not using an external sound card and yes, I've checked the default audio settings, everything seems fine. It was working fine earlier today and it happened after I've applied the thermal paste. I also don't use HDMI for the GPU. When I plug in the audio jack, it recognizes it and I can choose between mic, speakers and line-in. I've managed to install the Realtek Audio Manager, still no sound. If I damaged something, wouldn't the audio jack don't work at all?

hexer11

Reputable
May 6, 2017
your usb for the speakers IS an External DAC so you are using external sound card

Okay, so I'm not too familiar with that, but they were working fine and I also tested headphones and another speakers as well, same result. Taskbar is showing there is sound, but no sound is coming from the speakers and the headphones.

D

Deleted member 14196

often times when you work on the pc internals, things can become disconnected, even slightly. make sure every wire is well connected to where it's supposed to be.

it is possible that you damaged something when you changed paste on the gpu

hexer11

Reputable
May 6, 2017
often times when you work on the pc internals, things can become disconnected, even slightly. make sure every wire is well connected to where it's supposed to be.

it is possible that you damaged something when you changed paste on the gpu

I'll most likely get a cheap sound card at this rate. My mobo still has warranty, is there any chance they can fix it if I damaged something?

D

Deleted member 14196

they probably can fix or replace it but can you wait that time?

make sure external usb drives and flash devices work, in case the usb stuff on the mobo took a hit

hexer11

Reputable
May 6, 2017
they probably can fix or replace it but can you wait that time?

make sure external usb drives and flash devices work, in case the usb stuff on the mobo took a hit

Thank you. Everything seems fine, but I will check again tomorrow. Anything I can try in Windows to fix it? I've tried a lot of stuff, but nothing helped so far. It's showing like there is sound but there is nothing sadly.

D

Deleted member 14196

hmmmm, if it worked perfectly before you removed the gpu and now doesn't seems more hardware related to me,